Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Using Handbrake With Master ProRes Exports
    Hi all,

I've been wanting to try this method for awhile, but just haven't had the time to tinker with settings. Is anyone here using Handbrake to break out a master ProRes export into high res H.264 files? I have my own method of cranking out a high res H.264 from Adobe Encoder by using Max Render quality (helps with scaling done within the project), as well as a color adjustment LUT built right into the export to bring back some saturation and contrast lost when encoding to H.264. I still want to compare it with using Handbrake and ProRes master files.

What would you recommend for H.264 settings in Handbrake? There are a lot more to choose from than I was expecting.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Collapse Details
    Woah! That's a big complex topic. There are a lot of Handbrake tutorials out there but it's a bit of a minefield if you are new to HB. I've been using HB for about ten years now so am pretty familiar with it. Done many hours of online learning videos for medical education using HB. There is so-o-o-o much to explain. Far more than is addressable in any meaningful manner in a couple of posts.

Might I suggest that maybe the easiest and simplest way is to tell me what your end target use is, YouTube, Vimeo or basic web embedded MP4 etc and the sort of bit rate you are thinking off and what dimensions and frame rates, i.e. 1920 x 1080, 24p/30p etc that you are after and I can create a preset that can deliver you the optimum Profile, Level, bit depth, quality etc. You could then just import that preset into HB save it and and try it out. Once you have a good working preset it's just a matter of adjusting mainly bit rate depending on end use if you need a higher quality file. Note: There is a performance/size balance point which if you go over there is no real added visual quality improvement when increasing bit rate. The Guru on H.264 encoding is probably Jan Ozer. I learnt most of my encoding knowledge from him. Handbrake's x264 is a more efficient library for encoding H.264 and is still considered the best library for MP4 encoding along with Vidcoder which is even more configurable. One of Ozer's most comprehensive reads on MP4 encoding can be downloaded here. As you see it's about as big as a basic understanding can get on MP4 encoding. It's a couple of years old now but the basic fundamentals still apply. It will give you a good understanding of MP4 encoding that is totally applicable to Handbrake.

https://www.streamingmediablog.com/w...p-Encoding.pdf

Who is Jan Ozer?

https://streaminglearningcenter.com/about-jan-ozer

More useful fundamentals on quality vs streaming here.

https://www.ezs3.com/public/What_bit...or_the_web.cfm

Chris Young

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    +! everything CYVIDEO said. You should also consider the modified 10-bit version here:
    https://mattgadient.com/2016/02/15/h...linux-windows/

In my testing, there is a noticeable difference in macro blocking and other 'banding' artifacts between the 8 / 10-bit versions.

The most important settings to learn and master are "Average Bitrate" and "Preset" under "Encoder Options." Slower settings will take longer to render but yield better results on quality video hosting platforms such as Vimeo. Youtube will chew out and mangle everything that you feed it, regardless of the settings. It's free for a reason...

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OSCURO View Post
    The most important settings to learn and master are "Average Bitrate" and "Preset" under "Encoder Options." Slower settings will take longer to render but yield better results on quality video hosting platforms such as Vimeo. Youtube will chew out and mangle everything that you feed it, regardless of the settings. It's free for a reason...
    Are you suggesting that Vimeo does not re-encode the videos available for streaming?
    Because if you do I think you are mistaken, they do the same thing as YouTube.

A slow encoding setting will make the video file slightly smaller with the same quality, not really an issue if your objective is to upload.
    For uploading the best option is to use a constant quality profile.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    Are you suggesting that Vimeo does not re-encode the videos available for streaming?
    Because if you do I think you are mistaken, they do the same thing as YouTube.
    Did I suggest that Vimeo doesn't re-encode? All video platforms do, but Vimeo is far superior -- why do you think they charge $? Anyone that suggests otherwise is full of s*%t and most likely a lobbyist.

Also, anything that you do in this world at a slower setting will yield better results: cooking, cleaning, sex, etc. Live in the real world for a while and quit trolling, loser.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OSCURO View Post
    Did I suggest that Vimeo doesn't re-encode? All video platforms do, but Vimeo is far superior -- why do you think they charge $? Anyone that suggests otherwise is full of s*%t and most likely a lobbyist.

Also, anything that you do in this world at a slower setting will yield better results: cooking, cleaning, sex, etc. Live in the real world for a while and quit trolling, loser.
    Hahahah, the last part of this post is amazing. I agree that slower encoding will look better, especially in videos with a lot of movement, dynamic range, small details (water, trees, grass, wedding detail type shots etc.). I'll have to read up on everything above. I've gotten pretty good results using Encoder with maxed out settings plus a color correction LUT built in, but I know it can be better. Like you said, Youtube's re-encoder kind of destroys anything we try to do beforehand, so I really only worry about getting picky on my export settings for my wedding films, which is primarily what I push to Vimeo.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    Woah! That's a big complex topic. There are a lot of Handbrake tutorials out there but it's a bit of a minefield if you are new to HB. I've been using HB for about ten years now so am pretty familiar with it. Done many hours of online learning videos for medical education using HB. There is so-o-o-o much to explain. Far more than is addressable in any meaningful manner in a couple of posts.

Might I suggest that maybe the easiest and simplest way is to tell me what your end target use is, YouTube, Vimeo or basic web embedded MP4 etc and the sort of bit rate you are thinking off and what dimensions and frame rates, i.e. 1920 x 1080, 24p/30p etc that you are after and I can create a preset that can deliver you the optimum Profile, Level, bit depth, quality etc. You could then just import that preset into HB save it and and try it out. Once you have a good working preset it's just a matter of adjusting mainly bit rate depending on end use if you need a higher quality file. Note: There is a performance/size balance point which if you go over there is no real added visual quality improvement when increasing bit rate. The Guru on H.264 encoding is probably Jan Ozer. I learnt most of my encoding knowledge from him. Handbrake's x264 is a more efficient library for encoding H.264 and is still considered the best library for MP4 encoding along with Vidcoder which is even more configurable. One of Ozer's most comprehensive reads on MP4 encoding can be downloaded here. As you see it's about as big as a basic understanding can get on MP4 encoding. It's a couple of years old now but the basic fundamentals still apply. It will give you a good understanding of MP4 encoding that is totally applicable to Handbrake.

https://www.streamingmediablog.com/w...p-Encoding.pdf

Who is Jan Ozer?

https://streaminglearningcenter.com/about-jan-ozer

More useful fundamentals on quality vs streaming here.

https://www.ezs3.com/public/What_bit...or_the_web.cfm

Chris Young
    Thank you!

To answer your question. In the cases where I use Handbreak vs Encoder, it will be for videos that I push to Vimeo. I'm not worried about the ones I push to Youtube, as it will just get squashed anyway. I'm thinking of a bitrate between 50-60mbps for videos I push out in 1080p, and 80-100mbps for videos I push out in 2K or UHD. All published videos are in 24p. It would be super helpful, and much appreciated if you wanted to create a preset with optimum profile, level, bit depth, quality for both 1080p and 1440p. I hardly ever push out an edit in UHD, because even when all my media is 4k for a project, I like to be able to have that extra 30-40% to crop in and then publish in 2k.

Thank you so much for offering to do this. I'll definitely study the preset you send me, and see what's under the hood. Much appreciated!

-Dan

8. Collapse Details
    Unless you want to make your video available for download (Vimeo pro) using ProRes or any other all-intra file only wastes upload bandwidth.
    For uploading a 4K video using H.264 long GOP you should target a crf of 16-17 anything over that is just wasting upload bandwidth.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    Unless you want to make your video available for download (Vimeo pro) using ProRes or any other all-intra file only wastes upload bandwidth.
    For uploading a 4K video using H.264 long GOP you should target a crf of 16-17 anything over that is just wasting upload bandwidth.
    So you've tested at 17mbps vs 50mbps 4k clip on Vimeo and saw no difference? Even in shots with highly detailed areas, or fast moving shots?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by hopkins802 View Post
    So you've tested at 17mbps vs 50mbps 4k clip on Vimeo and saw no difference? Even in shots with highly detailed areas, or fast moving shots?
    Where did you get 17mb/s from?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast