1. Collapse Details
    What external, camera-mounted monitor are you using?
    I'm finally ready to throw down for an external monitor (I think)... but before I do, I thought I would check in with the community here about what you all are using. What monitors have been working out well/poorly? What have you found is a good value/overrated? I'm also curious about what articulated arms you're using and how/where you mount them.

I would be using the monitor in three different modes: on sticks, on monopod, and on shoulder rig. Indoors and outdoors. The monitor would be primarily for me, and just something for the producer/client to glance at once in awhile.

Ability to record is a plus, but honestly until the EVA-1 RAW workflow is expanded to include more devices and software, I'll probably just wait on that for now.

TIA, and I look forward to reading about your setups!

2. Collapse Details
    On shoulder: Zacuto Gratical Eye mounted to the camera with a Zacuto Axis Mini.
    On sticks: I switch between a SmallHD 502 Bright, and a 702 Bright, mounted to the camera on an Xtender Friction Mount.

And I power them with a p-tap cable plugged into the back of one of these so I can power the camera and an accessory with one battery.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS is now on iTunes :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: #DADmovie

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I don't have an EVA, but the smallHD Focus is worth checking out. The panning/tilting bracket is a game changer for convenience over a Noga style arm, IMO.

4. Collapse Details
    When I'm inside (interviews or theatre shoots) I'll attach a SmallHD 702 Lite using a smallrig (extended) ball arm https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...n_bar_for.html

I had purchased the 702 Lite before the SmallHD Focus series came out, but I'm still happy with it because of the SDI & HDMI inputs -- so even if I'm not using my EVA1 I can still use it with my various other cameras (such as a GH5s on a Ronin-S, or my old EX1) as well as bringing it for client-provided Amira or C300 shoots. It's not good in the sun, so outside I'll use a Zacuto viewfinder.

Along with the Smallrig Arm I bring a Manfrotto NanoClamp - which is perfect for attaching the arm to a tripod leg -- which I'll often do in a theatre where I'll be sitting below camera height to minimize the number of seats I'm blocking, and to make the monitor less noticeable to the patrons.
    Or if attaching to the camera -- I use the Smallrig 'cheese plates' -- which are actually two small plates - one for each side of the EVA1 (I think they also fit on the FS5, but I don't have one of those.)
    The Smallrig plate also allows me to attach a compact 15mm rod holder mount, which is more solid than the 15mm mount for the EVA1 LCD screen. At times I may use a longer rod with this to attach other items as well -- such as a 15mm rod microphone mount -- to the right side of the camera (I set it up so that the rod fits through the opening in the top handle) so I can mount on both sides of the camera from the same rod if desired. For the monitor or VF I can then attach with a 15mm 'platform style' adapter with a 1/4" screw.
    Speaking of the LCD mount adapter that comes off the handle, Smallrig makes a nice replacement -- I keep one mounted on the back of the EVA1 handle with another 15mm adapter (MOVO CAB1000) which the audio guys often use for mounting a receiver... (or can of course accommodate a monitor...)

5. Collapse Details
    In 98% I use a modified BMD Ursa viewfinder via SDI paired to the LCD screen and a Ninja V on the smallRig top plate.

IMG_0568.jpg

Very rarely for ProRes RAW I attach the Shogun Inferno and the LCD instead
    Last edited by Clermond; 05-04-2019 at 02:57 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Seriously great info, much appreciated!

7. Collapse Details
    I Have the Atomos Shinobi on one of my EVA’s, but wish I had the new one with SDI instead of just HDMI.

The problem I’m having is that the shinobi doesn’t show the full 4K raster. The sides are cut off with a box to pan to see the edges of frame. I don’t understand why you can’t scale the signal down to see the full image . Atomos had no answer for me.

Another issue is when I load a LUT I made in Resolve into the Shinobi, and the Shinobi blacks are significantly crushed.

Anyone try loading a custom viewing lut to Vlog footage ?

8. Collapse Details
    Since you are using HDMI you may need to convert the LUT from e-e to e-l. V-Log is extended but the monitor might be falsely assuming itís legal. On the VariCam LUT Libray we have both types. You may with to experiment with those. VariCam LUTs also apply to EVA1 as they are both true V-Log.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company