1. Collapse Details
    small-sensor servo cam to pair with FS5?
    I really have not kept up with the world of small-sensor cameras... and Sony has a metric crapton of them, it seems. Lots to research.

Some of my recurring streaming jobs would be aided by having a 2nd easy-to-op camera. Considering getting a used EX-1 or 3, since SDI, 1080p, and a smooth zoom are about all the requirements... but I'd like to know if there's anything from $1-2.5k that would add some extra features with a little more professional longevity.

At $3K or more, I'd just get another FS5 with the 18-105. I hear the 18-105 hates the FS700, or I'd consider that... also wanted to possibly keep it smaller sensor as this will likely be op'd by less experienced crew.

Since I'm keeping cost on this low, I want to stay in the Sony BP-U or NP-F battery universe (already have lots of both).

Thanks for any suggestions
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

2. Collapse Details
    Perhaps the Sony PXW-X70 ? On sale right now.... I just used it for the first time last week on a live streaming project. While I'm not a huge fan of that small camcorder form factor - the image it produced was rather good. Might need servo controller for smooth zooms. Or jump up to the Z90 model for more recording options.

3. Collapse Details
    I was just about to suggest the X70! (or its newer update which got announced not that long ish ago)

But I see that is already suggested. A good pick
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbob View Post

Considering getting a used EX-1 or 3, since SDI, 1080p, and a smooth zoom are about all the requirements...
    That 'smooth zoom' requirement can be a lot more demanding than you think!
    Going back to the EX cameras, the zoom on the EX1 can actually be very smooth -- whereas almost every EX3 I've used in the last 5 years (as they get older and crankier) has had hitches in its zoom. Even though they seem to use the same lens, apparently there was something a bit heavier in the design of the removable EX3 lens -- and the motor strength just wasn't up to it when trying to do a slow, smooth zoom. An older, beat-up EX-3 can be very stop-and-go on a slow zoom.

Of course many of the newer cameras also have issues with zoom smoothness since they often don't move the zoom ring when on servo. At certain speeds they tend to jump. I actually had pretty good luck with the Z150, not so much with the Z90 -- in terms of zooming.