Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Rokinon cine lenes on M4/3
    I'm looking to try out some of the Rokinon cine lenses on the GH5s. While I can get them in a native M43 mount, I'm wondering about getting the EF mount and a speed booster adapter. The lenses are fast so that's not a problem but the FOV will be different and also I'm wondering about future proofing in case I change cameras. Has anyone gone through this process of thought about it?

2. Collapse Details
    I'd recommend getting the Rokinons in EF mount. Speedbooster or not you are opening yourself up to a larger range of cameras than if you got the Rokinons in m43. I have a set of Veydras, and I love them, but the worst thing is the limited range of cameras I can put them on.

3. Collapse Details
    got the rok's 6 lens EF set and speedbooster XL for GH4. I like them a lot, but I LOVE the Sigma's look more. Both have their place.
    I got the 14mm 3.1 rok, but maybe should have gotten the 16mm 2.8 instead. No complaints, but I have not shot much of anything on them for real yet. I can answer questions if needed

4. Collapse Details
    I also recommend not going m4/3rds mount. I worked with Nikons on the job before retiring, shot with Canon APS-C from 2004 - 2010 before converting to m4/3rdx format. Adapting a couple of leftover Nikkor (F mount) lenses to the Canons took a simple ring adapter, was going to work in Manual anyway.

So I ordered a couple of Rokinon Cine DS lenses, the 24mm and 50mm in Nikon F mount. The Nikon F to m4/3 focal reducers and adapters I already had on hand worked, The focal reducers give me effectively 4 focal lengths with the two lenses, and initial testing looks like what I was looking for. They are plenty sharp with without super razor edge our native lenses have. By ordering in Nikon F mount I'm covered if I switch systems to either Nikon or Canon again. They will fit directly on Nikon bodies, a simple ring "dumb" adapter mounts them on Canon.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TSDavis View Post
    I'd recommend getting the Rokinons in EF mount. Speedbooster or not you are opening yourself up to a larger range of cameras than if you got the Rokinons in m43. I have a set of Veydras, and I love them, but the worst thing is the limited range of cameras I can put them on.
    The Veydras work with E mount, X mount, C mount and m43 : meaning they’re perfect for P4K, X-H1, GH5s and Sony a6*** series or cropped a7*. If they were full frame, they would be much larger, heavier and more expensive. As it is, they were a super bargain, costing much less than any comparable cinema lenses and have excellent build quality. $3,200 or whatever when they were new for a set of three or four was a bargain. And T2.2 is more than fast enough for most jobs. Optically, they will be superior to Rokinon. Or am I wrong?

6. Collapse Details
    unfortunately it seems the Veydra aren't being sold anymore

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jonpais View Post
    The Veydras work with E mount, X mount, C mount and m43 : meaning they’re perfect for P4K, X-H1, GH5s and Sony a6*** series or cropped a7*. If they were full frame, they would be much larger, heavier and more expensive. As it is, they were a super bargain, costing much less than any comparable cinema lenses and have excellent build quality. $3,200 or whatever when they were new for a set of three or four was a bargain. And T2.2 is more than fast enough for most jobs. Optically, they will be superior to Rokinon. Or am I wrong?
    I never remember any additional mounts but the E mount being released for the Veydras (and a limited selection of the lenses are compatible) but I could be wrong. Also, I'm not sure what else you are getting at here? I never said they were too slow, too small, etc. On the contrary, I thoroughly love my veydras and they are a rock solid investment. My "Only" complaint is the limited mount selection. I would love to be able to grab an EVA1, UMP, etc and throw these on the end of it.

OP asked about buying Rokinon in EF or M43 mount. I merely stated he will probably get more mileage out of the EF mount vs m43 mount and used Veydras as my case.

EDIT: I googled and I guess they did release an X mount and C mount, but honestly these don't mean a whole lot to me personally.

8. Collapse Details
    I'm definitely going the EF route - thx for the comments guys. maybe a mix of Rokinon & Samyang but I'll try the 50 & 85 out before I leap in

9. Collapse Details
    You def won't be disappointed in the 85. Good luck!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tired View Post
    I'm looking to try out some of the Rokinon cine lenses on the GH5s. While I can get them in a native M43 mount, I'm wondering about getting the EF mount and a speed booster adapter. The lenses are fast so that's not a problem but the FOV will be different and also I'm wondering about future proofing in case I change cameras. Has anyone gone through this process of thought about it?
    You might look into some old Nikkor glass instead and add follow focus gears. They’re inexpensive and could very well be optically superior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast