1. Collapse Details
    FS7 - Record Monitor - Odyssey 7Q+, Inferno, Etc.
    Hello!

I've been researching the external recording monitors that work with the FS7 M2 that I have, and am a bit confused. I'm confident someone can help me understand this better.

My situation is that I'm considering purchasing one because it would allow me more flexibility with regard to recording more than one flavor of video simultaneously. For example, I could internally record XAVC-I 4K and externally I could record 1080P with a DNX 36 codec. I don't have the extension back, and I edit with Avid.

That being said, I have occasionally rented the extension back for timecode purposes, but not for RAW recording purposes. If I had an external recorder, I might be inclined to record RAW via the rented back, depending on the project.

If I buy an external recorder, I'd sure like it to be able to record anything I can output from the FS7.

Finally, I'm inclined to want to use an SDI output via the BNC connector. I feel like overall, it's just a more reliable connector than an HDMI.

Now that I've given some background, perhaps someone can help. I've had difficulty determining from my research whether or not both the Odyssey 7Q+ and Shogun Inferno can record all output signals that the FS7 can create--regardless of whether or not your using the extension back. It's also crossed my mind that perhaps a used Odyssey 7Q would do the trick, but I'm not sure.

Can some kind person who reads this help clear this up for me?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Tim

2. Collapse Details
    The FS7 can only output 4K via HDMI. It can output RAW via the Extension back to ether Odyssey or Inferno. In the case of Inferno, it can record ProRes RAW or CinemaDNG. It only records CinemaDNG to the Odyssey. I have just decided to sell my Odyssey 7Q+ with the RAW and Titan Extract options, so PM me if interested and we can discuss.

Ned Soltz

3. Collapse Details
    Don't overlook Sony's AXS-R5 + HXR-IFR5 combo. No other RAW recorder is going to beat the simplicity and image quality of what you can get with Sony's own hardware. Sony's RAW codec is a breeze to work with in post. Yeah, the hardware is a little bulky, but I'd say the image quality from the FS7 rivals that from my F55 when it's recorded in RAW.

BTW, I just happen to have and AXS-R5 + HXR-IFR5 plus two 512GB AXS cards that I'd like to sell (I upgraded to the R7), if anyone is interested. Send me a PM.
    Last edited by Doug Jensen; 04-28-2019 at 03:40 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    Don't overlook Sony's AXS-R5 + HXR-IFR5 combo. No other RAW recorder is going to beat the simplicity and image quality of what you can get with Sony's own hardware. Sony's RAW codec is a breeze to work with in post. Yeah, the hardware is a little bulky, but I'd say the image quality from the FS7 rivals that from my F55 when it's recorded in RAW.

BTW, I just happen to have and AXS-R5 + HXR-IFR5 plus two 512GB AXS cards that I'd like to sell (I upgraded to the R7), if anyone is interested. Send me a PM.
    That's very tempting, Doug! That said, my hope is that whatever I buy could also have the versatility to be used with the Sony A7 series cameras that I sometimes rent, as well as with a friend's Black Magic Ursa Mini Pro and others. Of course, I guess the other solution is to just buy all of it!!

5. Collapse Details
    If you wish to use the recorder with an A7-series camera, spring for the Odyssey7Q+ over the original Odyssey7Q. The 7Q can only accept HD over HDMI.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

6. Collapse Details
    I own both an Odyssey 7Q & a Shogun Inferno, that I’ve used with many Sony cams, Alexas, Varicams, etc. I like them both & they both fulfill different requirements. if you can wait a little, I would definitely check out the Shogun 7HDR Pro (June release I think?). it’ll do everything the others will do and more. Convergent seems to have arrested work on any firmware updates & I’m just not sure that the Odyssey is the most future-proof investment anymore. Mitch, I know you’re with Panasonic these days & likely can’t speak to it- but what’s the deal? where has CD gone? I love the display on the Odyssey, but Atomos just seems to be more nimble & checking off the boxes of versatility that CD is still struggling with (DNxHR codecs, other flavors of SLog, no file-size limits that require stitching, elegant GUI, etc). I kept waiting for substantive updates but the last one was over a year ago. anyway, to the OP, I say, wait for the new unit & then you have an agnostic system that can record many different codecs, raw streams, & even support an HDR workflow if that’s your thing. then it doesn’t matter what camera system you use, your monitor/recorder can just become the core of your kit for years to come. my 2 cents.

7. Collapse Details
    I really can’t comment on Convergent Design. One because it would be rude and two because I honestly don’t know as I have not been with them for more than two years. CD is still in business so you could ask them yourself.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

8. Collapse Details
    totally understood, Mitch. I just thought maybe there was some more enlightening news re: CD that perhaps I’d missed, & was surprised to see you here. figured I’d ask. their excellence/failure to complete is a frustrating dichotomy.