1. Collapse Details
    Any quality loss buying 3200K led lights and applying a filter to change to daylight?
    Even though your main use for led lights is daylight, would it be advisable to buy 3200K led lights and just use filters to change it to daylight?

Are there any quality loss, artefacts or makes footage difficult in post?

Is it better to buy daylight and change to 3200K than the other way around?

Thank you.

2. Collapse Details
    Don't do this. LEDs don't have the full spectrum of light that tungsten lamps have. They are missing some crucial colors that make filtration very different. I think Lee came out with a special set of gels for LED fixtures.

But also, you're wasting brightness by gelling lights. CTB sucks up 1 2/3 stops. CTO loses 1 stop.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by edinc90 View Post
    Don't do this. LEDs don't have the full spectrum of light that tungsten lamps have. They are missing some crucial colors that make filtration very different. I think Lee came out with a special set of gels for LED fixtures.

But also, you're wasting brightness by gelling lights. CTB sucks up 1 2/3 stops. CTO loses 1 stop.
    Yes. This.

And I do remember those gels, as well. Never used them, but remember one of the sales peeps at my local Barbizon showing them to me.

4. Collapse Details
    In general, LEDs have far greater lumen to watt efficiency in daylight balance than they do in tungsten. The underlying diode glows deep violet and then various rare earth phosphors are applied to glow in the rest of the spectrum.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.