Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Yes Doug I'm shooting reams of stock footage, and following all the advice in your excellent series, "How to Make Money Shooting Stock Footage:" https://vimeo.com/ondemand/sellingstockfootage

Have you considered a series on the fundamentals of shooting motion pictures? I gleaned a lot from just one picture of you tracking a SpaceX launch from Paul Cronin's excellent website. That along with a morsel of advice where you said you personally pan/tilt with a higher frictional drag was indispensable to me for smooth operation with a longer lens. I've done it ever since.

The T2.9 Red 300mm PL Pro Prime I am leaving attached to the F55 for an extended time because it's training me to see things differently, hopefully in a more interesting way, often combined with slow motion effect. Always having the usual composition framed in accordance with rule of thirds sometimes results in a conventional sameness, footage that doesn't stand apart, but the 300mm can alter the mood to tell a different story than what was actually happening. For example, the clip of the child's play was nothing more than kids bouncing around as kids do, but slowing it down, the tight framing without foreground/background distractions; we drift into the recollections of childhood as seen through the eyes of a child. Mira told me, "Please don't use any more sad music. It made me cry." I thought to myself, if she saw that we we're seeing the same thing, the clip was a success.

If she is aware of being filmed, she doesn't like it. This is another area where minimizing the subject's awareness and extending the length of a brief special mood through slow motion really helps with the Red 300. By the way, I can't use the clip of Sebastian for stock footage because his shirt bears the MLB logo, a subject you covered well in chapter 5, Preventing Rejections Before They Happen.

And Paul, I wish I had the rich environment to shoot Ospreys that you and Doug enjoy. It would be difficult to do that well even under ideal conditions. The best I have managed in the semi arid west is to film Falcons of the military fighter jet variety. Fast moving, getting them into the frame and focused while tracking is the kind of practice I work on to be ready for an Osprey moment should I have the good fortune. I actually sight along the handle to bring the object into the frame before switching to the viewfinder. I avoid the term "target" as I was already warned (politely) by military base police they could confiscate my equipment if it included images they deemed sensitive.

2. Collapse Details
    Off to the desert badlands of Utah, carting the F55 in a Pelican case mounted to the back of Honda Recon ATV, and a Kessler K-Pod strapped to the cargo rack up front. This is the best way I can transport these beasts to the areas I want to film with the Red 300mm. The hope here is the 300 continues to train me to see the world differently, not in the usual panoramic landscape way which would be futile anyway due to heatwave mirage, but up close in a more personal way, the desert features and wildlife.

3. Collapse Details
    Hey Tom, watch out! You might be picking up too much of my habits for your own good, but I'm glad that my stock footage video has inspired you. The funny thing is that producing it inspired me to work even harder at stock myself. I've just uploaded almost 500 more clips in the past four weeks. I had never really crunched the numbers like that before, but now that I see what I'm earning by the hour, I'm much less inclined to take jobs anymore that I know I'm not going to enjoy. Why bother? I'd rather go shoot stock.

Where are you headed in Utah? As an ex-Utahn myself I try to get back out there almost every year for shooting, hiking, and maybe spend an hour or two with family if my wife makes me. We'll be headed out there again this fall as part of a 10,000 mile road trip from FL to Maine, to Yellowstone, to Seattle, down the coast, some stops in Utah, and eventually back to FL before cold weather closes things down. I'm really looking forward to getting back on the road. It is the carrot in front my face that keeps me moving forward.

4. Collapse Details
    Tom,

Great post and nice to hear how you are loading up on stock. Doug, really inspired me also and I have talked my current stock company Nature/Ocean Footage, to now represent me as royalty free, so I can move the same clips to my account at Shutter Stock and Adobe.

Thanks for checking out my site Tom. Just built a new one in February and it is always a work in progress, with so many aspects to my business.

Just need to get a few boats in the water and finish two commercial jobs then will push hard on stock this summer. As Doug says it is fun.

The Osprey were at a location Doug recommended in FL when he was home editing. Have a fun clip with his 300 of one in a tree eating a fish. 300 gets right in there. It still has not sold, but will look over the info to make sure it is properly targeted. We also have about 12 nest on our island where they just came back two weeks ago, from their winter trip.

Thanks Doug for getting me going again on stock. And keep rolling Tom.
    Last edited by Paul Cronin; Yesterday at 08:59 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    You're very welcome Paul.
    Wildlife is fun to shoot, but unfortunately it doesn't sell very well. Not too many people are looking for an Osprey eating a fish (I have that shot too!) or a pelican flying in slow motion or a deer walking in the woods. I suggest people look for things they have access to that others don't. In your case, I'd be shooting anything and everything I could that has do with sailing or any marine activity. What about boat builders? I know you have contacts there. if you can get releases from the workers you could get some bue collar shots that others can't get. You might think about going over to Wickford and talk one of those lobster boats into letting you go out with them for the day and shoot the hell out of it. Give them copies of the footage for "home movies" in exchange for signing releases (make sure to get a property release on the boat too). I always intended to that with one boat in particular, but never got around to it before i moved south. If nothing else, it would be an interesting experience.

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks Doug,

Great advice and I will concentrate on my industry this summer and grab what ever I can. Still thinking about the Z280 since it is a much smaller package then my FS7 MK2 on the water.
    Weather has broken here very nice.

7. Collapse Details
    Speaking of the Z280, I've really fallen in love with that camera. The more I use it the faster and more comfortable I get with it and it's such a breath of fresh air having a nimble camera with a 17x lens and XAVC-I codecs. Quite often I find myself leaving the F55 in the van and shooting almost everything except interviews with the Z280.

Yesterday I participated in a 10-hour camera test and shoot out for an upcoming adventure-style reality show and the Z280 was very impressive. No charts for these tests.. The shoot was mostly handheld outdoors with talent to simulate the kind of situations that the show will face in the real world. The other cameras were PXW-Z450, Varicam LT, PXW-FS7 II, AU-EVA1, AG-CX350, Osmo Pocket Camera, Hero7 Black, PXW-Z90, BM Pocket Camera, GH5. The cameras were broken down into three main categories based on the type of shooting they'd be used for. Obviously a Osmo isn't going to replace a Z450. All (or most of the cameras) shot LOG and so the footage has been sent to LA for final grading and evaluation by the studio and network, but I look forward to hearing what decisions they make. I know what I would choose, but I'm biased!
    Last edited by Doug Jensen; Yesterday at 02:00 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    I really liked my EX3 and I guess I would enjoy the Z280. I don't think it would fit my clients but for stock footage yes.

9. Collapse Details
    Would love to hear feedback on this test, Doug.

Cheers,

Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    Speaking of the Z280, I've really fallen in love with that camera. The more I use it the faster and more comfortable I get with it and it's such a breath of fresh air having a nimble camera with a 17x lens and XAVC-I codecs. Quite often I find myself leaving the F55 in the van and shooting almost everything except interviews with the Z280.

Yesterday I participated in a 10-hour camera test and shoot out for an upcoming adventure-style reality show and the Z280 was very impressive. No charts for these tests.. The shoot was mostly handheld outdoors with talent to simulate the kind of situations that the show will face in the real world. The other cameras were PXW-Z450, Varicam LT, PXW-FS7 II, AU-EVA1, AG-CX350, Osmo Pocket Camera, Hero7 Black, PXW-Z90, BM Pocket Camera, GH5. The cameras were broken down into three main categories based on the type of shooting they'd be used for. Obviously a Osmo isn't going to replace a Z450. All (or most of the cameras) shot LOG and so the footage has been sent to LA for final grading and evaluation by the studio and network, but I look forward to hearing what decisions they make. I know what I would choose, but I'm biased!
    Ben Giles GBFTE BAFTA

www.matobo.co.uk

@MatoboLtd

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123