Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Firmware update 3.01
    From Panasonic PASS Support Team:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    P2 Asset Support System (PASS) Information, Apr. 16, 2019
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

[Update] AU-EVA1 Ver. 3.01-

<https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/content/download/EN/ep2main/soft/upgeva1_e.htm>

Firmware version 3.00 (released on January 31, 2019) has the problem.
    There is a defect by which the same field image is recorded twice when you use the "1080/59i" format.

Please download the firmware file from above and update the firmware of your AU-EVA1 to the latest version 3.01.
    There is no problem with other functions or the previous firmware (version 2.53 or earlier)

2. Collapse Details
    As noted, this is a minor patch update. The only function affected is 1080/59.94i. Progressive formats and 1080/50i are unchanged.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

3. Collapse Details
    Darn... I got so excited for a second.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Darn... I got so excited for a second.
    ...What were you expecting ?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    ...What were you expecting ?
    anything from here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...Fixes-Requests

plus, and/or, the ability to save the new preset scene files to ONBOARD camera memory (using presets as of the 3.0 update essentially turns the camera into a single SD slot camera, since presets must be stored to an SD card).

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    using presets as of the 3.0 update essentially turns the camera into a single SD slot camera, since presets must be stored to an SD card
    You can't record on a card that has Setup files? That's odd.

7. Collapse Details
    You can record on a card with setup files.

The problem is, if you format the card, all your setup files are gone. So you can try to manually delete the files on the PC, but that isn't best practice. Or through the EVA1 menus which is tedious, and formatting is preferred. So then you have to remake your preset files each time, or take care to format on EVA1, then move the SD card back to the PC to manually reload the pre-created preset files through a menu structure. Assuming you have access to a PC when you need to do this.

Further, even if you decide, "yes this sounds like a perfectly professional and reasonable workflow and not an eggregious PIA!", notice that once the memory card fills with footage, you need to leave it in the camera, now turning it back into a single slot camera after the first memory card fills. I guess you could buy a giant SD card to partially alleviate this problem and minimize your PIA-ness that shall ensue, but then, if you want v90 SD cards to take advantage of the camera's flagship ALL-I codecs, then that's very expensive.

Or, rather than have to deal with this currently ridiculous workflow issue, they could update the camera to allow the < 100 KB of storage space needed to store these miniscule preset text files, something which can be done on a consumer level GHx camera for <$2000.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    "ridiculous" and "egregious PIA"? Are you perhaps not overstating things a bit?

If you want two cards, you can have two cards. Instead of formatting, you can go to thumbnails and say "menu-clip-delete all". That will erase all clips without formatting.

Or, you can just get a 256gb V30 card, which will cost $65 and record anything but ALL-I. You can record 4K/60p/10-bit for over two hours on a V30 card.

Or, you can get a V60 card. A Lexar V60 256gb card will cost $154 today. You don't need a V90 card for anything, the camera doesn't produce any format that requires V90.

What you're describing as "ridiculous" and "egregious" seems more to me along the lines of "nearly unnoticeable minorest of slight inconveniences". But hey, to each his own, if you honestly think a GH5 would be a better camera, I'm sure there are many people out there who will be happy to buy your EVA1 off you.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Or maybe try pre-loading your setup files to all of your media before a shoot. I've done that a couple of times, and seems to work well for me (much like how I would do with Magic Lantern on my Canon DSLRs).

I also understand that things often change in the field, and you may want/need to update those setup files on the fly... which could be a pain to keep track of (I prefer not to mess with card functions when I have a million other things to think about, honestly).

I can't remember if someone mentioned this before, but is it possible to copy setup files between two cards in the camera? If so, maybe just use a cheapy SD card to store your Setup files, insert into the camera, and copy to your recording cards as needed.

Anyway, best of luck. I'm sure you'll find a solution that works well for you.

10. Collapse Details
    TBH, I feel I am understating things. The point is *I* shouldn't have to figure out such workarounds for why a $6500 (previously $7300 camera) in 2017-2019 can't do something as simple as store a 100kb text file. It's preposterous. And it is not a minor inconvenience for the way I work - with several different cameras and a stack of SD cards, as a OMB, in very fast paced environment. It's yet another (unnecessary) thing to add to a long list of more important things to worry about - especially for a feature that should have been there on launch, but came over a year later without the ability to store the file to camera.

I don't think it's accurate or helpful to try and deduce my point to thinking that a GH5 is a "better" camera. It's a different camera. It does some basic things much better than the EVA1, which is really a shame, given that the EVA1 costs several times as much and puts out such a great image.

Yes, there are solutions - I am using them now. I am not happy about the fact that I need to, and that the EVA1 gets out performed in a number of very simple/basic usability metrics by a lumix division camera - especially 1.5 years after launch, when a handful of items I would have thought should be prioritized as zero-day "bug" fixes.

Don't hear me wrong, if you read my posts, I am a big fan of my EVA1 and all the Panasonic cameras. I own a GH5, GH5s, S1, EVA1 (and before that, DVX100, HVX200, AF100, GHx cameras). I complain because I care. I don't harp on things like the lack of an extra SDI port or better stock LCD because that's already set in stone, but I do think it's important to be vocal about things that can/should be addressed in a firmware update or at least better considered in a future product, since as a customer who has been with Panasonic cameras since 2004 I plan on buying whatever comes next.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast