1. Collapse Details
    LED daylight source
    Hello Listers,

I've been looking for the light for a while.

I little at a time, I have built a decent LED daylight kit consisting of various Dracast panels and a 200 series fresnel. I need one more light to make me happy.... I want a larger sized daylight fixture, preferably fresnel, but am open to anything that will give me some single point punch. I would use this with a larger soft box or as a traditional fresnel. It needs to be a minimum of 1000w tungsten equivalent or better and preferably quiet running. My budget is open, but would prefer less than $1000 (wouldn't we all). The 1000 and 2000 Dracasts fit this bill except they are just huge, really huge. That may be the price of not having a fan. The smaller series Dracast models have fans. I don't really need any bells and whistles beyond that. Any good suggestions?

TIA, Grant

2. Collapse Details
    Intellytech F-165. It’s a little larger than an Arri 650, but it’s powerful. It does have a fan, but it’s not very loud (I’ve yet to hit an audio issue with it) and it can be turned off if needed. With the fan off, the light drops to 50% power. And it’s under $1000.
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks Alex.

How is the build quality and customer service of Intellytech?

This Dracast light would seem to be in the same place in the market.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._daylight.html

Dracast has two series of "fresnel" lights; the "plus" series I linked to which all have fans. Their "studio" series are passively cooled but are much larger in size.

My preference would be this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._daylight.html

But dang, the size and weight are simply beyond what I want to pack. I guess that's why they call it a studio light......

Regards, G

4. Collapse Details
    I'm interested in the Aputure COB 300d II. Drawbacks for what you're looking for: I think it'll cost $1200 without the fresnel attachment. And it's not shipping yet.

My hazy memory is that the 300d II, which was announced at NAB, includes changes along the lines of those in the LS C120d II, but with twice(ish) the power:
    https://www.aputure.com/products/ls-...12236596084811

Lots of info floating around the net about the light. Nothing (easily findable) on Aputure's website yet. Here's Newsshooter's page with text, pix, and video:
    https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/04/...e-cob-300d-ii/
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrantly View Post
    Thanks Alex.

How is the build quality and customer service of Intellytech?
    Both are fantastic. The true Fresnel lens is glass, not plastic. The chassis is metal and well-constructed. The color rendition is accurate - no weird magenta shifts. And if you get the bi-color version, because of its COB (chip on board) design, you get full output across the entire spectrum from 3000K to 8000K.

Intellytech are based in Denver. They have a customer service chat window on their website that is closely monitored, they actually answer the phone, and are super helpful when problems occur.

I have three of the F-165 lights. I bought one, tried it for a bit, and ended up buying two more.
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    +2 for the Intellytech. I also have the F-165. If you are wanting to use it outdoors, I might suggest upgrading to the larger Light Cannon to get more pop. But either way, they are big. No two ways about it. My F-165 just barely fits inside a Storm im2620 Pelican style case.