Thread: Canon layoffs

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    A long time Soviet/Russian megastar Alla Pugacheva (oddly enough, turning 70 today) was asked about lip sync (in Russian, it's called "fanera", a play on words from phonographic accompaniment and manufactured wood) that is the norm in many a Soviet/Russian show. Her reply was, "I can't sing live every night. This way, I can do a show after show and all with a perfect pitch".

Most American shows are technically live ... but, going as far back to his 1983 tour, Ozzy's voice was so compressed, echoed and reverbed that there was very little human feeling left in it.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    A long time Soviet/Russian megastar Alla Pugacheva (oddly enough, turning 70 today) was asked about lip sync (in Russian, it's called "fanera", a play on words from phonographic accompaniment and manufactured wood) that is the norm in many a Soviet/Russian show. Her reply was, "I can't sing live every night. This way, I can do a show after show and all with a perfect pitch".

Most American shows are technically live ... but, going as far back to his 1983 tour, Ozzy's voice was so compressed, echoed and reverbed that there was very little human feeling left in it.
    What are you talking about? Live is live, man...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kpxA-TOLmA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfJXpBKR7d0

3. Collapse Details
    Oh no. Poor Ashley

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    What are you talking about? Live is live, man...
    Oh, this is a small fry. Back in the early 90's, right after the breakup of the USSR, there were several popular boy bands over there. One of them had six touring ... sub-groups but all went under the same name. They never performed live and no one knew what the actual rosters were. All sounded and looked identical because none of them actually spoke or sang. In other words, something like Boys II Men or NKOB would be simultaneously "performing" in several towns at once and no one in the audience was wiser for it (mostly tweens and teens anyway). That's a top notch scam artistry ... I mean, artisanship.

There were similar all-girls bands, who became known by the moniker of the "singing underpants" due to their performers' rather short, ahem, hemline.

Now, onto the real visual technology - Maria Calas, Roy Orbison and Ronnie James Dio have been performing as holograms long after their deaths.

Basic technology behind it.

Roy Orbison (shot by an audience member on a smartphone)

5. Collapse Details
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...of2&yptr=yahoo

A smartphone with a 50X zoom. The end of the stand-alone camera era?

OK, this is Huawei and it's semi-banned in the US. But, as I had mentioned in the old days, the periscope camera inside the smart phone could pretty much destroy anything and everything that's not pro level gear.

6. Collapse Details
    There was a Midwest retail chain - it went under early this decade - that was big in the 1970's - 1990's with its "get a bike" series of promotions. "Buy a couch, get a free bike". "Buy a VCR, get a free bike". "Buy a refrigerator, get a free bike", etc. The bike giveaways were big in the spring and the summer but, during the colder months, the chain had to include other items - a free boombox, a free VCR, a free recliner. When I worked there briefly in the mid-late 80's, I was informed that the salespeople from a department that normally sold the "free-be" item hated that weekend because, while everyone was making huge chunks of cash, they had almost no traffic. That was common sense. If your chain was giving away a free VCR with certain purchases, it made little sense for a consumer to buy a stand alone VCR. Well, the smartphone companies are "giving away" a free camera with a phone purchase and I agree with the gist of the above article that the phone/video business will be driven into bankruptcy since the new and subsequent generation of camera-phone combos will meet or exceed the needs and the technical skills of the majority of what could have been potential users. Furthermore, it will kill the lens manufacturing business. And, if the consumer market goes, there'll be no one interested in the pro gear either.

7. Collapse Details
    I'm going to clip and paste from Mirrorless Rumors, who clipped&pasted it off Canon's own release.

In the first quarter, sales of interchangeable-lens cameras were down 19% to 850 thousand units. This reflects the combined impact of accelerated market contraction for DSLRs, in particular entry-level models, and economic slowdown in China, which is a sizeable market for interchangeable-lens cameras.

The habit of capturing images with smartphones with improved cameras has become a part of daily lives of consumers. As a result, the market for entry-level DSLRs is contracting at a pace that exceeds the outlook we had at the beginning of the year. That said, we expect the user base of professionals and advanced-amateur, people who value the image quality and expressive possibilities afforded by cameras with large sensors and an abundance of interchangeable-lenses to remain. For the market overall, however, we expect the trend of market contraction to continue for some time.

In light of these circumstances, we decided to reexamine our full-year projections for the market and our own unit sales. We now expect the market and our own unit sales to decline 17% to 8.6 million units and 4.2 million units, respectively...
    ILC's are down 19% year-to-year. The camera business is imploding.

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/

https://global.canon/en/ir/index.html

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    I'm going to clip and paste from Mirrorless Rumors, who clipped&pasted it off Canon's own release.

ILC's are down 19% year-to-year. The camera business is imploding.

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/

https://global.canon/en/ir/index.html
    Wow, this is unprecendented. Wonder what the implications will be for us video pros? Perhaps this will slow down the new product cycle and people will actually keep and use their cameras for years instead of months, like we used back in the pre-digital revolution era?
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Wow, this is unprecendented. Wonder what the implications will be for us video pros? Perhaps this will slow down the new product cycle and people will actually keep and use their cameras for years instead of months, like we used back in the pre-digital revolution era?
    Everything else being equal, I’m good with that. I said I missed the Beta days in a way, because it seemed like you bought one camera to cover it all and it lasted almost a decade before you really needed to upgrade to something better. I guess I just missed the ‘one camera to cover it all’ thing, because looking back now, my tape VariCam saw service for ~9 years(bought in ‘06, still works perfectly today), my P2 variants bought in 2011 are still working today(8yrs)(both actually going on shoots today and tomorrow) and my C300(original) still sees service(used it yesterday with my F55). My F55 has “only” been in the fleet for about four years, but it’s still very popular and fortunately Sony hasn’t really replaced it.

10. Collapse Details
    For sure, less revenue means less development. I think we are also reaching the limits of what is useful in a camera and television. Many of us question the value of 8k, so where do you go from there? Meanwhile, companies like Z cam pop up with inventive efforts. Is there enough business for them to make a go of it?

The camera market has been tanking since 2010, but that is because the consumer market dried up quickly. The average Joe has moved from Instamatics to Coolpix to their phone. There was a pretty good market for DSLRs and mirrorless for amateurs. That's what is drying up as phone cameras continue to challenge the need for big lenses and fast f-stops. In the professional side, there has likely been some decent business due to the explosion of Youtube channels and also due to the large expansion of production going on by Netflix, Amazon, and every idiot company that thinks they can get into the streaming business. This of course, will be followed by a major collapse in production once the streaming business has sorted itself out.

https://petapixel.com/2014/12/15/cha...d-smartphones/

Camera sales.png

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast