1. Collapse Details
    Sony A7iii recording to a Atomos (record bit rates etc)
    I'm not a techy type soo...
    Sony A7iii records 8 bit 4 2 0 internal but hdmi outputs 8 bit 4 2 2 so I'm assuming you get an image that might be a little bit better for post work using the atomos recorder.

My question is... If I record the HDMI 8 bit 4 2 2 out, will I get any benefit recording it at say 10 bit 4 4 4 ? (or any setting better than 8 bit 4 2 2)

I know it's still gonna be a 8 bit 4 2 2 image (i.e. If there's blue sky banding, It's still gonna be there even if recorded in 10 bit 444) I know you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear...BUT....

Will I get any additional benefit in post recording in a higher bit rate? Can I push it a little farther without turning it to mush in post if I record in a higher rate than 8 bit 4 2 2 ? (or should I just record in 8 bit 4 2 2 and save on file size?)

Asking for a friend....lol

TIA
    Sony FS7's (x2) / Sony FS100's (x2) / BMCC 2.5/

'Philip Bloom Certified Cinematographer'

2. Collapse Details
    You'll see no added benefit (besides files that may be easier to edit) as the information is simply not there and it's just extra unnecessary file space. There's an argument for shooting 4K and editing that in a HD timeline for added value, but it's one of those chicken-egg debates.

Also FWIW, you have to change the camera to output 422 in the settings (it doesn't do it automatically by just plugging an HDMI cable into a recorder).

3. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    If you are recording out to an Atomos, all of the available ProRes formats are 10 bit. There are 8 bit options available in the DNxHR formats.
    Charles Papert

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Also FWIW, you have to change the camera to output 422 in the settings (it doesn't do it automatically by just plugging an HDMI cable into a recorder).
    Good to know. I seemed to remember hooking it up to one of the recorders (don't remember if it was 7Q or Atomos) and it showed source as 422. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks

5. Collapse Details
    Devices don't always communicate properly with each other.

You'll know you're in 422 for sure when internal recording is disabled.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Johnston View Post
    If I record the HDMI 8 bit 4 2 2 out, will I get any benefit recording it at say 10 bit 4 4 4 ?
    I don't own an Atomos - so I'm curious now too.... on my Video Devices PIX E5 - I can not select 10 bit 4 4 4 for any camera that doesn't actually output that (when you hook up HDMI or SDI to the PIX - it will tell you what signal it's receiving) - and I've assumed that the Atomos recorders are the same... can anyone confirm this?

7. Collapse Details
    Atomos recorders don't do 444 and always record whatever you choose in the menu. For most it's some form of ProRes (LT, 422 or HQ) that's always 10-bit 422 as Charles mentioned above.

The device is recording "empty" information if your camera isn't providing it. Even your files in post will be 10-bit 422 but what's really there depends on the camera.

(And then there are the DNxHR options one may choose.)

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by markfpv View Post
    I don't own an Atomos - so I'm curious now too.... on my Video Devices PIX E5 - I can not select 10 bit 4 4 4 for any camera that doesn't actually output that (when you hook up HDMI or SDI to the PIX - it will tell you what signal it's receiving) - and I've assumed that the Atomos recorders are the same... can anyone confirm this?
    I'll check it out tomorrow. I know the 7Q is very picky what you can record but the Atomos seemed very unconcerned with what I hooked up to it. (I plugged it into the HDMI on a Roland video mixer and it lets me record in anything available that the Atomos records.)