Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    New Rode Wireless

2. Collapse Details
    Too good of a price not to at least try them.

I posted them in the other thread and then convinced myself to buy them.

3. Collapse Details
    It looks like fun and there's plenty of uses for it. I'm guessing the downside is run-time, especially when I read this 'feature': "Easily recharge over lunch and dinner breaks—go from empty to a full charge in just two hours". There's the problem. It's not a full day device. Also, I'm not a fan of built-in batteries, which fail eventually.

Maybe they're so cheap that you keep a bunch of them on hand like batteries.

4. Collapse Details
    Hm. They listed 7hrs run time. Not bad. My shoots rarely last >5 hrs. I like the fact that they have a readout screen, unlike the comparable Sennheisers. I guess the question is how is the sound quality...

5. Collapse Details
    I bet they will sound as good or better than the existing Røde Video Wireless since it is a newer gen III of the same technology. Tough choice for me, I need to buy two more systems for a big shoot in Florida next month. We've been using the Tascam DR-10Ls with quite good results with the added benefit of recording lots of useful audio, even when the cameras aren't rolling, this can be gold on a documentary. Also, the Tascams are giving me 7-8 hours of recording on a single AAA battery! Very impressive performance. I throw the stock lavs in the junk drawer and hook up OST 801s and they sound excellent. Not sure if for this shoot, covering a 24 hour overnight ultra marthon, if wireless is the way to go with no sound mixer? I am sure I will pick up one of these Rødes eventually but not sure if it is the right tool for this shoot? I think the Tascams are going to work better for our needs.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

6. Collapse Details
    The lack of locking connector on the TX is a bit of a concern. Without that, disconnection is just too much of a risk.

The TX is also built with an onboard omni mic, with the intent of clipping the entire TX onto a lapel. It’s small, but not that small. And the range on the spec sheet is pretty short. Always expect manufacturer estimates of range to be rare in typical operating environments.

I can see the target market for these... $199 to get a fairly okay wireless system for hobbyists and amateurs. And soccer parents.

It might make an omay backup system for when you absolutely have no better option, but I’m not sure that any of us fit the intended consumer base.
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

7. Collapse Details
    The jury is out, but if the mic is decent, they would be very attractive for a lot of uses. No more need to fumble around with microphone, hiding wires, finding a place for a transmitter. I've had my share of women trying to shimmy a cable down tight fitting outfits and then figuring out where to put the transmitter without it getting smashed or dropped. Then there is the talent who hands back the transmitter as it hangs from the microphone wire in their hands and you just smile and hope it still works. Just clip the transmitter onto the persons shirt and away you go.

Even if the mic isn't decent, I can see making up OST-801's with a 12" cable and tucking the transmitter behind shirts or the back of collars. It has a lot of attractions. It's a clever bugger.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Ha ha I just had talent drop my G3 TX on the ground yesterday, but luckily it was on a carpet .. I don't know. I have to agree with Alex. I can't really see clipping that unit on the talent -- it's small but still too conspicuous IMO -- or for my work anyway...

9. Collapse Details
    I will buy one of the Røde GOs, mostly out of curiosity but I think I am ordering two more of the DR-10Ls, that will give me four of them. Seems weird that I am the only one around here using them for documentary shooting, they are almost exclusively used by wedding people it seems? I've discovered a whole new paradigm besides wireless, I thought not being able to monitor or remotely turn them on or off could be a hindrance but for documentary storytelling, they have been a boon as they are always recording everything not just when your cameras are rolling and we have discovered some magical audio moments that we NEVER would have captured if we were only using wireless. Pairing the DR-10Ls with the OST 801s and the Rycote Overcovers, we are getting surprisingly good, useful sound without a sound mixer. Sure, you hear the limiter once in a while but having a safety track too is amazing. I think these things are really kind of a best kept secret and far superior to cheap wireless when shooting documentary style.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I will buy one of the Røde GOs, mostly out of curiosity but I think I am ordering two more of the DR-10Ls, that will give me four of them. Seems weird that I am the only one around here using them for documentary shooting, they are almost exclusively used by wedding people it seems? I've discovered a whole new paradigm besides wireless, I thought not being able to monitor or remotely turn them on or off could be a hindrance but for documentary storytelling, they have been a boon as they are always recording everything not just when your cameras are rolling and we have discovered some magical audio moments that we NEVER would have captured if we were only using wireless. Pairing the DR-10Ls with the OST 801s and the Rycote Overcovers, we are getting surprisingly good, useful sound without a sound mixer. Sure, you hear the limiter once in a while but having a safety track too is amazing. I think these things are really kind of a best kept secret and far superior to cheap wireless when shooting documentary style.
    Is the DR-10L a sony locking connector or Sennheiser locking connector?
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast