Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I'll ask the more practical question nobody else is. I'm in the U.S. I buy and take delivery of a Z Cam. Two months later, my camera breaks, stops working. What happens?
    Do I have to mail it back to Shenzen, China to be repaired?
    +1

Returned my faulty Ifootage monopod to China in early June. Nary a tracking update on the Australia Post website...all I could tell was that it had arrived in China. A couple of days ago I got a "missed delivery" card in my mail box, which always gets me a little a excited. Imagine my joy when I went to the PO and was handed that same box i had sent almost 2 1/2 months earlier. Now I'm in the same position as before, but down $60, and scratching my head, wondering if our deteriorating relationship China means I get to keep this dodgy monopod. Zcam, that's a hard pass for me.

2. Collapse Details

I am excited. However, I won't buy till the camera is available in my country with official service centre. When I buy a Canon it simply works out of the box. Not sure about these new brands. After many years, I am slowly becoming comfortable with the thought of buying BMD 6K. Even then will wait for other guinea pigs to certify before I plonk my money. Z Cam doesn't have service centre outside China. So for me it is a No Go.

3. Collapse Details
    I doubt Z Cam will ever have a service center outside of China, if they do, it will be because they sold thousands of units in that country and it makes sense to do so. But the specifications and pricing makes it kind of tempting. Too bad that for any model, you really need to buy a Portfast monitor to control the thing, maybe Atomos will get the SDK and build a monitor/recorder that can control these cameras too.

4. Collapse Details
    Also, has anyone noticed that they have an E2G camera? The G is for Global Shutter.

http://www.z-cam.com/e2g/

4K, 12 stops, and global shutter for $2500 USD.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    My hang up on Z-Cam is the Mac compatibility right now. It sounds like a minor thing to some, but if I'm traveling without WIFI and need to update or do something to the camera, doing work arounds to boot the thing up or load a new firmware isn't really a viable option.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    I doubt Z Cam will ever have a service center outside of China, if they do, it will be because they sold thousands of units in that country and it makes sense to do so...
    They're coming in with 4-5 models at, as you said, very tempting price points. How expensive would it be for them to rent a small office in, say, Monterey Park?

It's one thing to be Kinefinity with their technically excellent but not inexpensive models. It's another to angle against BMD's market share. For that, they'd need a US office for sure.

7. Collapse Details
    Unless they make a huge killing in the USA, I doubt they will bring a service center here. There needs to be a lot of profit before that could happen, and I just don't see it with cameras that sell for $800 to $6000. Maybe I'm wrong, they could certainly set up here in the middle of NY and get great tax incentives, the land is cheap and living expenses are decently average. If they really wanted to do so, they could lease (or own) "technology" space on several college campuses, we have a big chunk of land designated to technology company development right here where I work. And they could probably get students trained for repair right here, which is the partnership that allowed for these deals. Could certainly get warehouse staffing right here. There are even bigger incentives in this program and I'm surprised that places like Amazon haven't taken advantage of these programs.

8. Collapse Details
    They'd probably need to be within driving distance from NYC and LA/Hollywood.

(Whether Monterey Park is within driving distance from Hollywood is another matter).

Let's assume, with their product mix, an average camera will go for ~ $2,500. They'll need to sell a hundred cameras to pay for a small office with a receptionist and a technician. BMD probably sold a hundred Pocket6K units in the first hour.

Plus, they could partner up with Kinefinity too.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
    My hang up on Z-Cam is the Mac compatibility right now. It sounds like a minor thing to some, but if I'm traveling without WIFI and need to update or do something to the camera, doing work arounds to boot the thing up or load a new firmware isn't really a viable option.
    I've updated the E2 with a Mac. It's simply a download and put the file on the card and run the firmware update.

One issue is with the Z Cam ZRAW VideoSuite being Windows only. They are going to release an OSX version but no set time table. I haven't played with ZRAW yet because I'm on a Mac with no PC available. My other issue is having to use software to do some parameter changes to the ZRAW clip then export and color grade in your NLE. It's a clumsy way of working and not really practical for my workflow. With Raw it seems like extra steps are required more often than not. BRAW seems to be the easiest but you need Resolve or the paid plugin for Premiere. In the end you have decide if all this is worth it just for Raw capture. The project usually dictates that.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Eric, your dilemma is exactly why I wouldn't purchase a Z Cam (upcoming ZRaw workflow or lack thereof). I'm not married to a particular brand (I've owned and used everything). I had a great experience with my test project using the Blackmagic Pocket 4K (which I just sold). Blackmagic Raw (BRAW) runs super smooth and works PERFECT on my 2017 5K iMac! Really love the BRAW workflow! I'm sure I'll use the Pocket 4K again soon........(or the Pocket 6K).......

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112