Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LDV20 View Post
    As far as A7III I do not see much any visually difference between XAVC-S vs DNX when I use recording function of NINJA. But the monitor is pretty handy.
    Are you setting your HDMI output to 422 on the a7III?

You still won't see any difference with your own eyes, but might as well get the benefit of it for post if you are recording with the Ninja.

2. Collapse Details
    Good point -Not sure if I did, but will check and see what the output is set at. I was thinking if I decide to shoot in Slog2 - I might see a difference in grading. But usually if I am going to grade in slog2 - will use FS700 with 7Q+ . Use the A7III mostly on simple jobs. thanks will take a another look at the NINJA recording

3. Collapse Details
    You'll know when it's on as it disables internal recording when it's working. I usually use S-Log3 with a burned-in LUT over the 422. It's still 8-bit though.

4. Collapse Details
    Yes - will check. I still do record on SD cards and NINJA at the same time but the monitor stops when I record NINJA. So I will look into this - good point thank you

5. Collapse Details
    Black magic design new video assist
    Quote Originally Posted by LDV20 View Post
    Yes- limited function on NINJA V - Still a nice small device. I just wanted a 5" to be able to record raw from my Fs700 like the odyssey. At some point I will see if pro res or DNxHD will offer increased quality over the AVCHD from FS700. As far as A7III I do not see much any visually difference between XAVC-S vs DNX when I use recording function of NINJA. But the monitor is pretty handy.

The new bmd video assist can read raw sdi via sdi but at the moment only from some panasonic cameras. Hopefully the fs700 will be included because there are not many cameras. What i like of the bmd video assist is tha it has a 5inch model and blackmagic raw. But if atomos had a 5 inch version i would buy it. And use its dnx or cdng. O dont use any prores much less the new raw version

6. Collapse Details
    OK thank you good know.

7. Collapse Details
    The Ninja V will never be able to support FS700 RAW because that is more work than the RAW from other cameras. FS700 RAW is compressed, so it must first be decompressed by the recorder before processing for recording. The Ninja V doesn't have the processing power available.

Do not hold your breath for the BMD Video Assist recorders to support the FS700. This camera is no longer manufactured and sold by Sony. If I was BMD, my assumption would be that most people who would want a recorder would have already purchased one, and the business decision to invest the programming hours into developing this support couldbe more profitably used elsewhere. The BMD Video Assists currently support RAW output from the Panasonic EVA1 and the Canon C300-II. I have no idea what other cameras may or may not be added in the future.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

8. Collapse Details
    Yes I know that. But since there are few cameras thoutput sdi raw its up to bmd to increase its market. Just go to atomos inferno compatability list page and see that there are just a few cameras. The newer ones like from sony and panasonuc have there own raw flavor. And others will be using prores raw or cdng. If bmd wants to get market share for braw its got to make it available to everyone it can.
    Last edited by starmanric; 06-30-2020 at 10:20 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    BRAW has market share because it is incorporated into every BMD camera. Adding BRAW capability to the Video Assist allows other manufacturer's cameras to be used alongside BMD cameras. There are only a handful of current cameras that include a RAW output and BMD has done two of them. They may do more but I would highly doubt they would bother with non-current cameras as the market is small. Atomos includes support for those older cameras as legacy code -- it basically costs nothing to continue to support them. For BMD it would be many hours of coding to build support. If I was the product manager I would look long & hard at the realistic attachment rate for units relative to the cost to develop support for these older cameras before committing to adding the support.

I'll give you a reverse example. Years ago when I did this at Convergent Design, I noticed that the F35 cameras were building a community on the used market. That camera used a fairly expensive tape deck and all the solid state recorders available were not compatible with the camera's 12-bit 444 output. Even though there were only a few hundred cameras on the market, I realized that we could basically corner this market if we could make our 12-bit 444 recording work with the camera's output and do so with a minimal investment in engineering time. Luckily we already supported the Canon C500 12-bit 444 and it was a minor update to add F35 support. Our chief engineer literally wrote the code over lunch.

At least 100 Odyssey7Q recorders were sold because of this so it was worth it even though this was an out of date camera with a limited market. But in the case of the FS700, it would take hundreds of programming hours to build the support for that camera, and I seriously doubt there would ever be enough return to justify it. Please note that while the FS700 RAW support would be similar to the FS5 and FS7, it is not exactly the same and would take a good deal of additional coding. In the end just how many people would ditch their Atomos or Odyssey recorders in favor of a BMD unit? Even if smaller and offered new features? How many additional units per month could be forecast? These are the questions that have to be asked for such a busness expenditure.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    The Ninja V will never be able to support FS700 RAW because that is more work than the RAW from other cameras. FS700 RAW is compressed, so it must first be decompressed by the recorder before processing for recording. The Ninja V doesn't have the processing power available.

Do not hold your breath for the BMD Video Assist recorders to support the FS700. This camera is no longer manufactured and sold by Sony. If I was BMD, my assumption would be that most people who would want a recorder would have already purchased one, and the business decision to invest the programming hours into developing this support couldbe more profitably used elsewhere. The BMD Video Assists currently support RAW output from the Panasonic EVA1 and the Canon C300-II. I have no idea what other cameras may or may not be added in the future.

Yes - Understood - I am not looking for anything for FS700 - it works with my 7Q+ and I am happy with the results - Ninja V will never be able to record raw from 700 according to their support. The Ninja is fine for A7III - Actually at this point I prefer not having any recording devices - to bulky etc. I am looking at the Sony FX9 - I will let the smoke clear and see what the next several months are like.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast