1. Collapse Details
    Are NAS or Surveillance hard drives good for Raid 0 for video editing?
    Surveillance and NAS drives seem to be cheaper with 64mb cache but lower rotation speed like 5400 or 5900.

I am thinking of buying a pair and put it in raid 0 for larger drive and double the speed.

Are these any good for raid setup for video editing?

What do you think about Toshiba X300 against the likes of HGST Surveillance/NAS drives or cheap Seagate or WD drives?

Thank you.

2. Collapse Details
    RAID 0 offers NO protection from a failed disk.

HGST Enterprise disks last a long time, but the cost is often almost 4x. NAS drives are useful and typically last a good long time as well. I have a mix of HGST and WD RED NAS drives in different storage machines, but the consumer level drives have often suffered early demise.

3. Collapse Details
    You might want to google for some performance comparisons. RAID 0 is all about speed so you might want to stay with 7200 rpm drives but that is just conjecture on my part. Hopefully you can find a good test out there. HGST has a great track record.

4. Collapse Details
    I use a single Seagate Ironwolf 6T drive for my source files. That is fast enough by itself for 4 track multicam editing of 2 tracks GH5 UHD60P and 2 tracks of AVCHD HD using EDIUS 8.53WG. It is a 7200rpm drive and seems able to sustain just under 200MBps transfer rates. Bear in mind if you are using a 2 drive RAID 0 to both read from and write to it will be slower than using 2 drives with separate read and write. I also have an SSD for temp files and an SSD for rendered files so the source drive is effectively a read only drive while editing.