Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Valles View Post
    Man, in my opinion the type of shoot you described calls for a fixed lens camcorder. Something like the Canon XF400 or the new Panasonic CX350. Built-in ND filters and XLR ports, servo zoom lens with optical stabilization, no mess of devices hanging off the camera with flimsy cable connectors. What you give up on shallow depth of field you gain in ergonomics and speed. Just a thought.
    +1 (million).

I can use the D810 all day long with a fast prime wide open for the shallow DOF until I am purple. It really has a place but is it 'telling the story' any better? Do I really rack focus a lot? No. My 'art' is primarily crude, rude, in your face video. I am not on Netflix or HBO and never will be so I think you are spot on and I plan to look at these cameras now. I don't know if they have fat files but if they do, even if not RAW per se, I might just bite. The world of video is so complex, just the SONY choices alone are overwhelming. I see everyone going hog wild over the Fujis and wonder if I really want another system (lenses) and while they are jewels, do I need more? The fixed lens is at least keeping the 'new system' to a lower roar. The two models mentioned are very helpful Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs View Post

The highlights esp late day water bg (behind the branches) as well as the morning fog are more than adequate. The notes in post were a big help too, and that crop at the end isn't noticeable unless you really start peeping. Thanks. I just had a feeling video cameras were getting better. I don't know about the duo on these units. I may have to resort to the (dare I do it?) audio sub-forum (yeeeesh!).

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    I agree that for the run-around shooting described that an all-in-one camcorder makes the most sense. The Panasonic CX350 is a pretty impressive new camera, with built in stabilizing on a 20x zoom (24x with digital zoom engaged) that gets both wider and more telephoto than the competition. It’s also incredibly lightweight and the battery will last for many hours, and that’s not something to disregard when it’s all down to you running after your subjects. You’ll get much better footage if you’re not struggling, fatigued, and fighting your tools. There’s a reason for cameras of this type.

https://youtu.be/ssu7gLJ_JHo
    Hi mItch. You've always been a big help to me in the past so it is like seeing an old friend here with this helpful post. I am only a 45 minute train ride to GCT and a couple of tubes over to B&H so I might have to put this thing into my hands and give it a look. I will try to search around for these units and comments from audio guys, but my audio abilities are bottom of the barrel comparatively so I'm sure the JuicedLink/D810 bit box combo isn't much better! (I guess that guy imploded, eh? Sorry to hear that.... Kudos to him for making those things. I hate their mounting but still use mine to this day....)

Financially: I had hoped that the DSMC concept over at RED might have caught on and I guess the DSLR MO I have deployed has been out of a desire to keep costs down but the form factor issues I've posted out lease me right straight back to the old axiom everyone here repeatedly tells us: use the 'right tool for the trade'.

Thanks, Mitch.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Valles View Post
    Something like the Canon XF400
    Was reading http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...d-for-my-needs

That hunting AF has me scared stiff! One thing I know is I can stop a lens down in daylight and even my bad eyes can focus enough. I was indoors the other day, a trade show, and my wife was interviewing dozens. My focus was all over the place but I was able to use all of it thanks to knowing where I was in terms of the DOF. I am to too skilled re gain but assume it is a similar principle. That is always my concern with auto anything, but tech is amazing and I know you have that 1DX which I hear has great face tracking. The smaller 1" chips, and even smaller, gather less light but do give you more in-focus reliability in fast-moving situations as I am describing. Have to imagine the audio in your space when shooting was a challenge.

5. Collapse Details
    that panasonic cx350 and the sony nx80 look pretty interesting as run and gun tools.

since much of what you describe is being shot outdoors, full frame or even crop sensor light gathering ins't a major requirement.

the current technology regarding 1" chips is pretty good.

if you are not worried about light or high iso, then it's about AF and ergos.

built in nd, good af, xlr inputs, quality audio pre-amps, some form of is, capable vf and lcd screen in bright sunshine, those would be on my list of needs.

the sony is less than $2500.

the panasonic is $3700 but seems to offer some ergo advantages for the price difference.

thumbs up.

rob
    smalltalk productions/nyc
    the story is never black & white
    it takes Smalltalk to reveal the color

smalltalk.productions

6. Collapse Details
    Although I personally don't use them, it does sound like a fixed-lens camera is really worth looking into...

___

Just another side note about the Blackmagics regarding audio: The big URSA may exhibit some issues with crackling in the sound at random times, and its levels could also be inaccurate on the screen and appear much lower than what you're monitoring.

This is the problem with new cameras from a small team (at least back then) and quality control.

Today, maybe you'll find 1000/1000 of their cameras to be perfect, but just keep the above in mind.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by robfilms View Post
    that panasonic cx350 and the sony nx80 look pretty interesting as run and gun tools.

since much of what you describe is being shot outdoors, full frame or even crop sensor light gathering ins't a major requirement.

the current technology regarding 1" chips is pretty good.

if you are not worried about light or high iso, then it's about AF and ergos.

built in nd, good af, xlr inputs, quality audio pre-amps, some form of is, capable vf and lcd screen in bright sunshine, those would be on my list of needs.

the sony is less than $2500.

the panasonic is $3700 but seems to offer some ergo advantages for the price difference.

thumbs up.

rob
    smalltalk productions/nyc
    Your multiple angle shots on white background talking heads are really well done Rob. I saw how much effort you put into the scene at the bottom of your Portfolio page. Looks like an FS-series camera. I remember when they came out with the FS100, I so wanted to buy that camera after using a VG10.

I am just about through with the big thread on the cx350 so thanks. (Need to watch that APNTV review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-MCq3tiF_c as it might help me a lot.)

I didn't mean to say ISO or indoors was not important, as it is, but most golf does 'happen' outdoors. Here is the twist: during winter and much of the shoulder season it moves inside. So, I'm going club fittings, workshop repairs, and simulator stuff, interviews, etc. (I shot a bunch of exhibitors with my wife and dog at a trade show at the CT convention center last week and with that D810 and JuicedLink spinning around under the camera it was lots of fun shooting mushy flat ugly footage! While I have only myself to blame for the s*%te workmanship, the form factor even in that relatively benign environment is a misery.

Thanks for the help. Are buyers of this camera looking to use the 4K in post for added reach/intimacy in shots (I wonder aloud...)? I have used my D810 for those purposes as a lot of landscapes on the golf courses were over gulches where no donkey (especially me) will roam....

8. Collapse Details
    Is 1080P sufficient or do you need UHD?

The following cameras come to mind, but I haven't shot with them:

Canon C100, possibly one with DPAF.
    Panasonic DVX-200
    Sony FS-5
    JVC GY-LS300

Panasonic and Sony make hot-shoe XLR adapters for their mirrorless cameras, which might make a GH5 or A6500 more viable for you.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Although I personally don't use them, it does sound like a fixed-lens camera is really worth looking into...

___

Just another side note about the Blackmagics regarding audio: The big URSA may exhibit some issues with crackling in the sound at random times, and its levels could also be inaccurate on the screen and appear much lower than what you're monitoring.

This is the problem with new cameras from a small team (at least back then) and quality control.

Today, maybe you'll find 1000/1000 of their cameras to be perfect, but just keep the above in mind.

Have you migrated away from the BMCs? The only fixed lens video capture device I've owned is a Canon camcorder from Costco I paid less than $200 for, and an iPhone/iPad. I did once buy a VG10. It was interesting as it was a poor man's version of the FS100. I was really too new to appreciate that camera but got great shots out of it. At the time, I was looking at bigger and better, and knew it was depreciating quickly, and was uncertain what I wanted to do, so I sold that .

Then I drilled down more, spent a lot of money on stupidity, and ate some humble pie and have just used the Nikons ever since. The Nikons gave me the ability to use one system for work and fun and to change glass and have different compression and control, which is familiar and to a degree comforting.

I know the form factor is a killer, so the notion of a run and gun camcorder is probably the right tool for that job (CAPs intended). Big learning curve for a DSLR guy, so I am only just reading more about the 1" cameras suggested here and am gleaning a lot of what people are feeling re auto focus, auto everything and less manual zoom. My initial impressions are an oversimplification, obviously.

I say +1 (million), re a camcorder, more out of the misery of the form factor of rigging, is one leaning (now I see why these threads exist, oh boy). The look is wholly another story. Unfortunately, I do not see myself buying a Raven system anytime soon, so the BMC has been on my radar a long time. The Sony F3, FS, VGs before that. I know the big guys here use Varicams, F55s, Amiras, but for the weak and meek a used Ursa anything is hitting the big time, but a camcorder is probably the right 'tool'. (A BMC a tool for making 'movies' or real 'cinematographic art'. Is that fair?)

The fact that you are shooting Fuji, after your time with BMC, is revealing. It shows me you have run the gamut with regards to interchangeable lens tech.

(At least I know I'm getting sage advice on that front, from you! :-)

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Imamacuser View Post
    Is 1080P sufficient or do you need UHD?

The following cameras come to mind, but I haven't shot with them:

Canon C100, possibly one with DPAF.
    Panasonic DVX-200
    Sony FS-5
    JVC GY-LS300

Panasonic and Sony make hot-shoe XLR adapters for their mirrorless cameras, which might make a GH5 or A6500 more viable for you.

Reach is the only reason I'd honestly need anything beyond 1080P yes. I cheat and would use that extra file size to make up for either shoddy/rushed composition, or impossible mission shooting, which can happen when you are on the opposite side of a ravine or green.

The GHs I've followed for years. Only because I was so wedded to Nikon have I not gone to Panny, as they make beautiful images (or their operators do). I know the A6xxxs are beloved value cameras. I did not know they had the XLR adapters. I did know about the GH adapters. They had me very close to moving. I just didn't want to go MFT for stills as I still do a lot of print and some shots wind up on LF printers as wall-mounts in pro shop walls, etc., and I also use the larger files for crop, and those bigger sensor photosites supposedly improve DR, which I sorely need when foreground is dark, in lieu of the distant surise/sunset sky, even with grad NDs.

So, the GHx and the Sony 6xxxs would move me into having two DSLR rigs, and could adapt lenses if I went that route. Suppose I could bone up on their audio pres to get a sense of how people feel about them too. Just not sure about the whole DSLR proposition....

I know a lot of Cxx popularity here, and for good reason. I'll never forget the Mark 5s. Stunning. The thought of selling my Nikon glass to learn Canon, ugh. If that is my only option I may do it! (I don't think it is.)

Remember the roll out of the DVX200. But in reading about the cx-350, and Barry Green's talk about how it (the cx-350) merges all of the good and fixes the missing (I am loosely paraphrasing him here) from prior Panny cams, it makes me wonder if I'd be too far downstream (too late in that tach) to go that route (I see they are still retailing so I guess not)? I'll bet there are a lot in the wild now with tons of threads to learn from too. Thank you!

JVC's LS-300. I remember when that came out too. Been a while as well, right? I'll look into that too. Very helpful to have this research list growing....
    Last edited by olindacat; 03-27-2019 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Terrible typing/grammar fixes

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast