Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by olindacat View Post
    Have you...
    I indeed have migrated away. I now only use cameras with trustworthy AF. There are only a few that I can personally use (or want to use).

I just bought a Fujifilm a few days ago when it came out so I'm not really a Fuji shooter. If anything, I was mostly a Canon and Sony person for the past 3-4 years with little GAS fits here and there (especially for certain jobs). I now have a Sony a6400 with the X-T30...I will most likely sell one.

And I've had a few servings of that humble pie...threw money away consistently. (I think of it as paying for the extra education, ha.)

And definitely; BMs for filmmaking, and other cameras for other work. (Although you can do anything with a BM and vice-versa but just have to be good at what you do.)

And I definitely have run the gamut with most cameras...I will never pay more than $1K (maybe up to $1500) for one again.

And if any Blackmagic had Canon's or Sony's or Fuji's AF, I would be using a Blackmagic, haha. I wouldn't buy a $6K URSA again (that's what I paid in 2014), but oh, man...that would be the be-all end-all.

Auto-focus. Auto-focus. Auto-focus. That's all that matters now.

(And it's not just point-and-shoot AF, but state of the art face-tracking, speed control, sensitivity control, object tracking...that's what I am interested in and use.)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I now only use cameras with trustworthy AF.

(And it's not just point-and-shoot AF, but state of the art face-tracking, speed control, object tracking...that's what I am interested in and use.)
    I love this site because everyone here we all just want to make something beautiful. We invest our hearts, souls, money, and precious time in it. Your love of AF is joined by my own, especially as I age and my eyes don't seem to work as well. No more loop on the ground glass looking at upside down flags for this geezer!

The large sensor cameras really put anything poorly composed our out of focus right there front and center, although you have some latitude if you can throw light and stop down, but even then, film planes are thinner, right?

A lot of Sony AxIII positives, Fuji is big, but these are similar form factor nightmares methinks. Inasmuch as I love the art of it, I need to be sensible and realistic as I am able to get the shallow DOF stuff already, so can always do that, and probably a video camera, BMC or other, is right. (I will say I am getting a distinct feeling the BMC might be something I need to hold off on, for a while, dunno....)

Hope that Fuji rocks for you!

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by optitek View Post

Something didn't work with that link Optitek!

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by olindacat View Post
    I love this site because everyone here we all just want to make something beautiful. We invest our hearts, souls, money, and precious time in it. Your love of AF is joined by my own, especially as I age and my eyes don't seem to work as well. No more loop on the ground glass looking at upside down flags for this geezer!

The large sensor cameras really put anything poorly composed our out of focus right there front and center, although you have some latitude if you can throw light and stop down, but even then, film planes are thinner, right?

A lot of Sony AxIII positives, Fuji is big, but these are similar form factor nightmares methinks. Inasmuch as I love the art of it, I need to be sensible and realistic as I am able to get the shallow DOF stuff already, so can always do that, and probably a video camera, BMC or other, is right. (I will say I am getting a distinct feeling the BMC might be something I need to hold off on, for a while, dunno....)

Hope that Fuji rocks for you!
    Thank you, and I hope you find your next great camera!

P.S. I work on King street a few times a week around this time of the year.

6. Collapse Details

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by optitek View Post
    Are there any threads here on this? Not much more than a request form, name, photo but thx.....

8. Collapse Details
    Sorry I guess you need to be a group member. Attached the screen shot pdf with the specs. NAB bound
    Attached Files Attached Files

9. Collapse Details
    Four main options:

Sony PMW-F3 (repair costs don't matter, just buy two! They're sub $1K after all)

JVC LS300

Sony FS700

Sony FS5 (prices keep on dropping on eBay!)
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    Four main options:

Sony PMW-F3 (repair costs don't matter, just buy two! They're sub $1K after all)

JVC LS300

Sony FS700

Sony FS5 (prices keep on dropping on eBay!)
    David: Awesome camera suggestions and ones I have long-considered. I remember when all but the F3 came out (the F3 was out well-before I go myself into trouble with video).

The learning process, inherent in these types of exchanges, has had me self-indicting my own MO. Investing what I can, in time and treasure, into the right tools for the right jobs is a challenge, but if I don't prioritize the later and change my whole 'on the fly' way of manufacturing content I will only make it easier to contaminate people's living room's faster, and less-painfully, for me! (That would be a terrible thing for the poor viewers!)

A camcorder, really of any kind, would suffice for the muck I have been doing, so I am establishing a more deliberate protocol for how things are being done. It won't be perfect, but even a rough shot list, with a plan on a napkin, is an improvement! (I need to make the investment, the effort, better.)

The help I have gotten here has pointed my searches on this site to posts in threads about the cameras that we're suggested. Many of these threads have proved to be helpful and glaring reminders of how much I need to be doing in 'front' of the camera, that I am not! It harkens back to the storytelling function itself. The tail is wagging the dog, and thanks to this thread, and helpful input from folks here like you, I'm clumsily morphing away fro total stupidity (to mild stupidity ;-). Thank you!

Your sound work, incidentally, is exceptional. At least to my untrained ears. Both indoors where the walls were very reflective, to the outdoors I could tell you intentionally grabbed the FX as separate channels, must have gotten sore arms booming....

I plan on getting some form of camcorder solution, and trying to add to that a second box that can grab raw, make use of stills glass. I'm torn between the newer mirrorless DSLRs (which I can use for both stills and 'artistic' motion) or another box, e.g., a BMC, Cxx, etc. I only have a couple of Nikon lenses left now, so a move isn't too devastating. I have the D810 so the focus right now is on the camcorder. I like the idea of used as I have a lot to learn in terms of the internal ND filter, gain vs my stills habits of bumping ISO or stopping or opening up the lens, etc.

I think everyone here is going through these same rituals, for their own needs. Very helpful, though. Thx.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast