Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I Saw the film lastnight in 35mm at the local Alamo Drafthouse here in Denver. I will say that by far he did not in anyway trump pulp fiction in my mind nor Jackie Brown which are my two favorites of his. I will say however that it was by far his tamest film in terms of violence since Jackie Brown. The ending was expected from me so I guess it wasnt as much of a shock to me as how the rest of the audience was reacting.. at this point QT has a formula down which if you really follow it, he doesnt really surprise anymore. I'd say Brad Pitt was by far the shinning star in this film.. Leo did good too but not as good as brad. Cinematography was excellent per usual in a QT film and the set design was outstanding! I'm interested to see if QT actually does release a longer cut to this as hes promised that in the past with films like Kill Bill and its never happened.. for the USA anyway. All in all I think it was a solid film but in no way his strongest film and honestly to some degree I feel like its being hyped to hell. I give it a 9/10.
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 2008 W/ AJA Kona 3 Dual-Link 4:4:4 Capture Card
    Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch 2007
    Final Cut Studio 3

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krumlauf View Post
    All in all I think it was a solid film but in no way his strongest film and honestly to some degree I feel like its being hyped to hell. I give it a 9/10.
    I like that a good film maker can get “not his best” but still make a nice film. Spielberg comes to mind.

Kubrick, wasn’t his best film, i give it eh.... 9.99999999/10

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    If that is a movie that QT really wanted to make, he was smart not to make it his last. And now expectations are low for the tenth?

Wish this wasn’t as lame as it sounds. Was hoping for at least Hateful 8 level film making. It is sounding more like a netflix original
    No no no.. its better than netflix lol... this is meant to be seen in the cinema on a film print.
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Final Cut Studio 3

4. Collapse Details
    Looks like even from the script they knew what kind of film it was going to be, and sounds exactly like what you guys are saying:

“Tarantino: One of the first people to read the script was my first AD, Bill Clark. … He came down to the house to read it and said, ‘Okay, so this is number nine, huh?’ So he goes out by the pool, and he reads it, and he goes, ‘Damn, number nine is like all eight of [your movies] put together.’

5. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    I don't know, honestly there are large swatches of this film where I feel like it's missing the Tarantino trademarks. What I really miss is the protracted dialogue scenes that invite multiple viewings to truly appreciate the structure, build and rhythm that he has a knack for. Like the opening Christopher Weitz scene in "Inglorious Bastards", or the delightful banter between Travolta and Jackson in "Pulp Fiction". In a way, this film revolves more around the non-verbal (Margot Robbie's Sharon Tate is mostly seen and not heard, and Brad's Cliff is often traveling in silence) which is not so Tarantino-esque to me.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

6. Collapse Details
    Oh interesting.

Cat got his tongue finally?

Lost in the sauce?

Or a contrast to the intense amount of dialogue in 8?

7. Collapse Details
    There was also not a single n-word. Actually, there were no black characters in this either, which I guess accounts for that.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    There was also not a single n-word. Actually, there were no black characters in this either, which I guess accounts for that.
    I'm honestly happy he cooled it down with the N word. I get films like Django it was just the times, that I understand but I feel like he always was a bit to liberal with that word, mostly for comedic effect. He's not Spike Lee you know? the "dead ***** storage" line in pulp always makes me cringe.. its not funny and the fact QT says it himself in the film just makes his character look blatantly racist.. idk.. i'll shutup :b
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Final Cut Studio 3

9. Collapse Details
    Also side note.. anyone catch how the angles he shot interior of the car was very much like Kill Bill 2? I did see visual homages to most of his films in this one... honestly, if he doesn't make #10 and ends on this i'm okay with that.

One thing I notice with a lot of A List filmmakers is they just dont know when to quit and pass the baton to the next generation and appreciate the legacy they made for themselves (ironic words given the partial plot of this film). Its part of why i admire John Hughes as much as I did.. He was one of the most successful filmmakers of his generation, 1990 the year i was born (sorry if i made anyone feel old :b) he was the 10th most powerful person in hollywood (thank home alone for that).. 1994 he quits, never directs again and moves out of LA back to Chicago.. he made a name for himself and a crap ton of money, he realized family was more important and bowed out.. more filmmakers need to do this i feel in hollywood. idk..
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Final Cut Studio 3

10. Collapse Details
    I watched that at a cinema yesterday with my mate. He was asking me during screening like 4 or 5 times:
    "Don't you think it's too dark!?"
    And I was like... "well how to tell you... it's a new hip style nowadays".
    I wanted to tell him that underexposed is a new teal and orange but he wouldn't understand ;)

My super short review:
    - cinematography great
    - scenography great
    - BP and LdC acting great
    - should be cut shorter, some scenes were unnecessarily long
    Last edited by alohype; 08-19-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    FS7 & other

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast