Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Well, yes, that remains to be seen - once he "retires", he may find he does not enjoy it, and be tempted back for whatever reason. Many directors "retired" only to come back - Soderbergh comes to mind. Ridley Scott on the other hand, is a different animal - he alledgedly said he'll direct until the day he dies, so no retirement for him. And Ridley Scott is a much more hit or miss guy - it all depends on the script... he has abysmal sense of what a good script is, and if he gets lucky to get ahold of a good script, the film he turns in is generally quite good. Good filmmaking skills, poor script sense. He's a visual guy, not a writer type.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I have a strange feeling that Pitt and Leo are going to kill manson... QT likes to poo poo with history to fit his story.. remember the death of hitler in bastards? i think we are going to have something similar to where the murders never happen and pit and leo come in and save the day. I have my tickets for a 35mm screening here in denver on friday so we will see.
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 2008 W/ AJA Kona 3 Dual-Link 4:4:4 Capture Card
    Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch 2007
    Final Cut Studio 3

3. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    I don't believe this to be a spoiler--one of the more fun visual moments in the film is Leo's character digitally inserted into some classic movie footage. It's seamless.

It's definitely a love letter to LA in that era and particularly fun for those who know the city. Curious if that will translate to those who don't.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    ... It's definitely a love letter to LA in that era and particularly fun for those who know the city. Curious if that will translate to those who don't.
    I recall watching "Get Shorty" in one of those Hollywood Blvd theaters and hearing everyone in the audience chuckling at the shot of the very same block.

5. Collapse Details
    I think the movie had some great moments but overall felt like the work of a filmmaker too in love with himself. But hell, if I was Quentin Tarantino I'd probably be in love with myself too...And Mike...SPOILER...you weren't far off. It works in well in the context of the movie though and is one of the best parts of the film.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

6. Collapse Details
    After mulling the film overnight, I've come to the conclusion that this is probably Quentin Tarantino's least successful film from a writing standpoint. I HATED Hateful Eight, but I don't think it was a failure of execution. Taken on its own terms, I think the screenplay for Hateful Eight does what it was designed to do and does it effectively, I just hated who it was about and the story it told. This one I don't think works as a script. It has strong individual scenes but they don't add up to a satisfying or effective whole. It's not deep enough to be a satisfying character study of a failing TV star, and definitely doesn't do justice to the Manson subplot, as fun and effective as some of those scenes are. I enjoyed watching it more than Hateful Eight, because I liked some of the characters more and the period detail was nice to look at and listen to. But it's his least well executed script for me. Death Proof is very flawed too but that car chase redeems the movie. This doesn't have enough good stuff in it to redeem its aimless lack of narrative. People defend it as a 'hangout' movie that has no plot, like Dazed and Confused or American Graffiti. Those movies have no overarching plot or big narrative stakes, but the individual characters each have some minor stakes at play that keeps momentum building. This movie has far too many inert scenes that go nowhere, with nothing real at stake, padded out with what seems like an hour of driving montages. Also, those other hangout movies have a more varied and colourful cast of characters they jump around to that sustains interest. This mostly focuses on the two guys, and I only really found Leo's character interesting, Sharon Tate being an afterthought with a wisp of a nothing character. Also, most of this film is like a day in the life like other hangout films, and I thought it was the day's events leading up to the murders, but then...SPOILER...he cuts forward six months later before that happens for reasons I don't really understand, letting the air out of what little momentum and dread he'd built up. Disappointing, because as expected for Tarantino it looks great, a lot of the acting is great, it sounds great, and I actually think it has the best, most fluid use of the camera of any of his films.
    Last edited by Batutta; 07-26-2019 at 11:24 AM.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

7. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    I don't disagree. For me, this review was the closest to my thoughts on the film.

https://www.gq.com/story/once-upon-a...llywood-review
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

8. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    This movie has far too many inert scenes that go nowhere, with nothing real at stake, padded out with what seems like an hour of driving montages.
    The original cut was almost 5 hours long, and Tarantino has said that he might release a 4+ hour version on blu-ray...

9. Collapse Details
    If that is a movie that QT really wanted to make, he was smart not to make it his last. And now expectations are low for the tenth?

Wish this wasn’t as lame as it sounds. Was hoping for at least Hateful 8 level film making. It is sounding more like a netflix original
    Last edited by James0b57; 07-26-2019 at 08:43 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    I'm seeing a lot of people loving it, so who knows. I talked to an old buddy today who echoed my thoughts on it exactly, but neither of us want to predict how it will be generally received.

Here's an article on the making of the movie from American Cinematographer:
    https://ascmag.com/articles/back-in-...p6LIp3aD82SFuA
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast