Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. Collapse Details
    Convergent Designs 7Q+ Price bump $2195?
    #1
    Default
    Just guessing, hope for the best for this product but wondering if this pre-NAB 2019 bump in price is due to a new, unknown feature that will make the Odyssey more competitive or if CD is simply jacking up the value of existing inventory before a company sale or bankruptcy filing.
    Last edited by Ed Farnsworth; 03-19-2019 at 10:16 PM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    430
    Default
    Time to get a second hand 7Q+ I guess...


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Senior Member boosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    172
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Farnsworth View Post
    Just guessing, hope for the best for this product but wondering if this pre-NAB 2019 bump in price is due to a new, unknown feature that will make the Odyssey more competitive or if CD is simply jacking up the value of existing inventory before a company sale or bankruptcy filing.
    I emailed the guys at CD a few months back and they said they were testing other raw codecs including Prores raw and Blackmagic raw. Fingers crossed they implement these at NAB. Well overdue update and new options that would keep the monitor current....


    4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,241
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Farnsworth View Post
    Just guessing, hope for the best for this product but wondering if this pre-NAB 2019 bump in price is due to a new, unknown feature that will make the Odyssey more competitive or if CD is simply jacking up the value of existing inventory before a company sale or bankruptcy filing.
    They have stated their reasons for the price increase is due to increased component costs. They also state that they are working on new products. Last year they announced a portable video switcher/recorder in prototype form but they may have moved on to another kind of product to launch. Not sure if they will have a presence at NAB 2019 or not.

    They are good folk and have been honest with their customer base and to the public since they have been around. Use my nanoFlashes and my Odyssey on almost all my shoots.

    I hope Dan Keaton from Convergent Design will be able to come around and clarify things.


    3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    8
    Default
    The 7Q has been a workhorse; we've got over 1k hours on one, and another 500 on another. I've got to hand it to Convergent Design constantly updating them.

    It is still a bulky machine, but the connectivity is still second to none. The biggest thing lacking for me is a 1080p screen. Brightness isn't great either (outside), but I understand that is an OLED trade off.

    Hope to hear some news for NAB. SmallHD has been releasing a lot of products at exorbitant prices, and Atomos is trying hard to compete. I'd love to pickup a new Odyssey design though.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    64
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by seagull21 View Post
    I've got to hand it to Convergent Design constantly updating them.
    What have I been missing? I can't even remember the last update...especially a feature update.


    2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdyearff View Post
    What have I been missing? I can't even remember the last update...especially a feature update.
    I found the DNXHD update in June of 2016 pretty useful. And then they gave us free Titan upgrade last year, wasn't it? What freaks me out more than Mitch Gross ditching CD for Panasonic (who knows what that meant) is no response at all on what they might have been planning since then. As Andrew Stone said, a word from Dan Keaton would be welcome.


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Senior Member seanmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    286
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdyearff View Post
    What have I been missing? I can't even remember the last update...especially a feature update.
    Last almost exactly 1 year ago? I mean...it's not THAT long ago.

    I don't know about all you guys...but I bought my 7Q five loooong years ago. Since then, they've released the 7Q+ (with a decent upgrade solution for 7Q owners). Added a slew of new features such as DNxHD, new RAW codec support, Titan and Apollo (paid, yet still very useful, not to mention RENTable), 8 channel audio, support for 3rd party SSD drives, upgrading everyone with single RAW license to the full bundle, and a ton of little features and enhancements to the unit.

    I have 7 firmware updates in my backup folder and 4 of them contained good upgrades...for free. My Odyssey 7Q has had more substantial updates and firmware fixes than any other piece of major gear I use, from any manufacturer. Can any of you name another one that updates with new functionality and features beyond 5 years?

    Not saying I wouldn't want some new toys in my 7Q, but I'm quite content with the level of upkeep CD has provided for this tool. Your mileage may vary.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    64
    Default
    I've had my 7q for probably 4 years and when I first got it, it seemed there was some kind of update, bug fixes, features etc every three or four months...or so it seemed, and that went on for quite a while. It seems to me that CD put a lot of their eggs in the FS700 basket and once the Fs7 came out and the FS700 slowly started to take a back seat...it started to get quiet. Then Mitch leaves and it got quieter, then FS700 gets mothballed and from that point on its been pretty much crickets. I'm just wondering how much of their market they lost when the 700 slowly faded. A 7q paired with an fs7 (which I also have) or an fs5 isn't a game changer...but an upgraded FS700 paired w a 7q was. But having said all that...I really do like the 7q, I still use it...just a tad concerned about its future.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #10
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdyearff View Post
    I've had my 7q for probably 4 years and when I first got it, it seemed there was some kind of update, bug fixes, features etc every three or four months...or so it seemed, and that went on for quite a while. It seems to me that CD put a lot of their eggs in the FS700 basket and once the Fs7 came out and the FS700 slowly started to take a back seat...it started to get quiet. Then Mitch leaves and it got quieter, then FS700 gets mothballed and from that point on its been pretty much crickets. I'm just wondering how much of their market they lost when the 700 slowly faded. A 7q paired with an fs7 (which I also have) or an fs5 isn't a game changer...but an upgraded FS700 paired w a 7q was. But having said all that...I really do like the 7q, I still use it...just a tad concerned about its future.
    An unfortunately concise analysis, Thirdyearff. On every point. Thanks, I guess.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •