Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh DiMauro View Post
    I notice noise in 10 Bit, 422, 24p, ALL-I 200 mb/s at 400 ISO as well. Has anybody else noticed this? Is it normal? What may I do to fix this in camera instead of post denoising?
    Can you post a sample of what your are referring to ?

2. Collapse Details
    Which LUT are you using to process the V-Log-L footage? This makes a big difference. I have had good luck with these - https://crftshodigital.com/gh5-luts/

Leeming LUTs are good as well.

3. Collapse Details
    NorBro, Soarprod and Filmguy: Thank you for your expertise. I have never worked with any type of high dynamic range settings before yesterday because the fear of ruining a shot due to my lack of experience using said log profile governed my decisions. That fear is born from never taking the time to experiment and gain the knowledge to do so. You gentlemen seem to know your way around the GH cameras better than me. I will run some tests (This Spring I must finish a web series and would love to shoot it in V-Log).

On an unrelated topic: I own a nice set of native micro four thirds, Rokinon DS Cine Primes at 1.5. I also see a lot of good reviews on the native micro four thirds Voigtlander 0.95 prime lenses (at three times the cost of the Rokinons). Would that faster lens be worth the price of being able to shoot at lower ISOs? Any personal experience with those particular lenses?
    I'm a big fan of speed boosted EF lenses with the metabones adapters. Especially the sigma 18-35

4. Collapse Details
    The Voigtlanders are phenomenal! But make sure to understand that you will most likely not be able to use them until 1.2/1.4 like filmguy mentioned. Even 1.8-ish for some.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by soarprod View Post
    I'm a big fan of speed boosted EF lenses with the metabones adapters. Especially the sigma 18-35
    Big fan of this as well. It’s a limited range lens but I find I personally shoot 80% of my content on a wide (24mm), mid (35mm), and standard (50mm), and the sigma speedboosted basically becomes those primes 3-in-1. At f/1.2. I think the focus works well. It’s bigger and heavier than a voigtlander prime attached but it’s a killer setup.

IQ wise I find the sigma gives me a clean, modern, sharp look. The voigts give me more of a subtle vintage/dreamy/watercolored look (any of those words are too strong, it still looks clean and modern - but the image rendition is less clinical and veers towards more interpretative). So it depends on the look you want, too.

The sigma setup for me is a god send for indoor, live event docu type shoots. 3 focal lengths, good manual focus, beautiful lowlight. Tack sharp at f/1.2 speedboosted.

6. Collapse Details
    OP I think your problem might possibly be that you are shooting in bright sun and you might be using too many stops of ND and/or have a not good variable ND filter. If so what you may be seeing is IR pollution causing ultraviolet noise.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    I have a dozen or so native m43 lenses including the full voigtlander set. The voigts are by far my favorite, they have a special character to them. They are glowy and soft at .95 and unless you are after that effect, Id say they start closer to 1.2 or even 1.4 depending on your preference. The really reason to get a voigt is character and the superb manual focus rings.
    Thank you, Filmguy. I guess the time has come for me to start using V-Log and learning color grading.
    Interesting if true. And interesting anyway.

8. Collapse Details
    Thank you, Filmguy. I guess the time has come for me to start using V-Log and learning color grading.
    I recommend it! FWIW, Color Grading can be infintely complex and a lifelong, full time pursuit. Also, it can be much easier than you think thanks to tools and resources so readily available today.

A good place to start: Leeming LUTs, $25 or so, https://www.leeminglutpro.com/

Lumetri color sliders for blacks, whites, curves, etc. A few tutorials on those controls.

That'll get you started well. I like to use an adjustment layer with Lumetri color and a LUT applied to all my clips. Or, copy/paste the Lumetri Effect with the LUT applied batched onto everything. And then I use a second lumetri effect to do basic adjustments.

Want to get more advanced, Red Giant Colorista IV plugin is great. You can get it usually about 50% off every December.

You don't need to go full board Davinci Resolve and every complicated facet of color grading to get better results than a stock profile. You can even cheat secondaries using multiple layers of Lumetri effect with masks, just draw a circle mask on a face, feather 100-150, then copy/paste it and invert that effect to control everything "not face" for example. Stack, add, layer mask as needed.

Just shoot vlog in 10-bit always.

Good luck... it's not so bad. If that's all too much, a LUT on adjustment layer is essentially back to ground zero and often just as good to export as if you shot CineV to start with, but with more DR!

9. Collapse Details
    To use log you need to consider ...

exposure
    the 'toe' in the curve using post

Simply you need to set up a controlled scene with some DR and shoot it at many settings (different iris)
    You then need to take all of these shots into post and pull the curves to make the best image from each shot.

95% of noise complainants are underexposing log footage.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Hopefully LOG shooting will go away in close future generations. I do not like shooting with it and would rather have the camera maker get a profile right or offer RAW.

If you are going to do anything with color grading make sure you have a good calibrated monitor in the mix. Otherwise you are making decisions based upon untruths.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast