Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    GH5 V-Log Noisy With High Bitrate and Low ISO
    I've read complaints about Panasonic's GH5 V-Log being noisy in 8 bit color depth and high ISO however, I notice noise in 10 Bit, 422, 24p, ALL-I 200 mb/s at 400 ISO as well. Has anybody else noticed this? Is it normal? What may I do to fix this in camera instead of post denoising?

Thanks.
    Interesting if true. And interesting anyway.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh DiMauro View Post
    What may I do to fix this in camera instead of post denoising?
    Add light, or buy a GH5s or a camera with a bigger sensor. (Or use faster lenses and/or a SB...which is adding light.)

There is really nothing else you can do (maybe more internal NR if possible).

The GH5 does a lot of things right, but clean low-light is not one of them (especially with V-Log L).

3. Collapse Details
    I like +2 noise reduction myself with the GH5 in Vlog

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks, NorBro. You always answer my inquiries and I'm grateful to you. Just as an FYI, my test footage was made outside, bright sunlight, Panasonic Lumix lens at 5.6 using a neutral density filter. I saw the noise in an area of the frame that captured the darkened interior of an outdoor gazebo. So you are saying the GH5 is "known" for noisy dark areas when utilizing v-log? I'll accept that (since I also own a GH5s). I tested the following photo profiles: Natural, Cinelike D, Cinelike V, V-Log. As a regular user of Cinelike D, I actually like the Natural setting best and will probably use that from now on to get the cleanest image possible to maybe manipulate in post (should I decide to do so). Also, I will conduct further tests tomorrow using my Rokinon prime lenses which seem to give a more film like rendered image. Thank you, my friend.

Warmest Regards,
    Hugh

5. Collapse Details
    Thank you, Soarprod. I might give that a try as well but I hesitate to manipulate the image in camera because once it's baked in, you stuck with it.

6. Collapse Details
    Maybe you're also a bit underexposed in some areas?

LOG - any kind - can definitely be noisy outside.

You usually grade/crush a lot of it out in post.

7. Collapse Details
    Thank you, Soarprod. I might give that a try as well but I hesitate to manipulate the image in camera because once it's baked in, you stuck with it.
    Sometimes it’s nice to not have to denoise in post. I usually shoot my EVA1 1 stop over because of this and it’s nice and clean. You don’t have a lot of highlight range with the GH5 compared to the EVA1 so in-camera NR helps. Sure NR will hurt detail but there is already too much in 4K anyways.

8. Collapse Details
    Panasonic Lumix lens at 5.6 using a neutral density filter. I saw the noise in an area of the frame that captured the darkened interior of an outdoor gazebo.
    Sounds like you're seeing noise in underexposed areas, as you described. I don't know your exact goals or needs but personally I would not switch away from Vlog L. Vlog is helping you capture maximum DR, not all of it will be clean as it gets to the limits. But that's ok. The other profiles may crush that out to pure black for you, so sure - less visible noise - but also less dynamic range. Vlog will stretch it to the limits, but you can also just dial it down to taste by crushing the blacks down a bit in post to clean up that noise. And still come out with more DR than the other profiles, options on how you want to handle the noisy areas (crush to black, run NR, etc.), and more grading flexibility.

Dark, underexposed areas that aren't crushed to pure black will pretty much always exhibit some noise.

9. Collapse Details
    NorBro, Soarprod and Filmguy: Thank you for your expertise. I have never worked with any type of high dynamic range settings before yesterday because the fear of ruining a shot due to my lack of experience using said log profile governed my decisions. That fear is born from never taking the time to experiment and gain the knowledge to do so. You gentlemen seem to know your way around the GH cameras better than me. I will run some tests (This Spring I must finish a web series and would love to shoot it in V-Log).

On an unrelated topic: I own a nice set of native micro four thirds, Rokinon DS Cine Primes at 1.5. I also see a lot of good reviews on the native micro four thirds Voigtlander 0.95 prime lenses (at three times the cost of the Rokinons). Would that faster lens be worth the price of being able to shoot at lower ISOs? Any personal experience with those particular lenses?

10. Collapse Details
    I have a dozen or so native m43 lenses including the full voigtlander set. The voigts are by far my favorite, they have a special character to them. They are glowy and soft at .95 and unless you are after that effect, I’d say they start closer to 1.2 or even 1.4 depending on your preference. The really reason to get a voigt is character and the superb manual focus rings.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast