1. Collapse Details
    Besides money, what motivates you to write?
    What pushes you to continue to write? Do you feel you are making the world a better place? Like trying to get an important message across? Do you have a writing partner? And does it make writing easier when someone is there to push you?
    Drone Pilot at Drone Trilogy
    www.DroneTrilogy.com

2. Collapse Details
    Nothing else; just money.

And maybe hope.

3. Collapse Details
    Wait was there ever a chance of earning money? I don’t write regularly at all, but I guess for me it would be about the satisfaction of seeing the final product performed (live) and seeing people enjoy it or finished (film) and getting feedback that people enjoyed it or seeing those reactions at a screening. I have written some sketches for local troupes to perform live in the last year or so and done a bunch of short films prior to that. I mean sure money/a development or distribution deal would be nice but realistically most of us will never see that so you have to settle for the joy of seeing something in your head brought to life.

Make the world a better place? Only in the sense that what I create MIGHT entertain someone.

No messages. Messages evil. Roll eyes when I see messages in others’ work (especially a problem these days).

No partner, though with the sketch stuff it was not simply accepted outright, but subject to review/critique/rejection by the guy who runs the sketch program/troupes. As much as I hated (and will continue to hate) being told my stuff isnt gold right out of the gate I must admit the criticism almost always forces a better/stronger end product, and shows you what to do/avoid in the future.
    Last edited by Josh Bass; 03-15-2019 at 03:33 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Money! Ha! I wish. I got started writing so that I could have good scripts to shoot. Now, I even write ones that I can’t shoot or won’t shoot just to get better. I shoot shorts in the meantime to keep getting better at directing and cinematography - mostly mine, but other’s too. I’ve completed a few feature length scripts and I’m encouraged as they’re getting better. Writing is necessary to film making and I’m besotted with the whole thing. So it’s about making movies for me.

I study films and scripts and film history voraciously. I just read Schrader’s Trancendental Style in Film then watched two films by Ozu and Besson to see what he was talking about. Interesting stuff, not sure how it applies to my work but I see it in movies like Ida, Columbus and Patterson. I read and watched Spotlight again last week. Damn, that’s a good script. Check out Scriptnotes podcast if you haven’t. Great stuff there.

Nope, no writing partners. I’d love to give that a try though.