Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks. I guess since you're eliminating RF interference and clipping the main concern would be handling noise...

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    Thanks. I guess since you're eliminating RF interference and clipping the main concern would be handling noise...
    Two words, Rycote Overcover. They are magical. Basically eliminate 90% of rubbing sounds with the OST801s. Still a little occasional cable noise when really moving around but whoever thought these up was a genius.
    The furries come in black, white and gray in a kit and you can attach to insides of shirts and blouses or to skin. No more vampire clips, no more collar clips, etc. The only time they have failed was at our ultra marathon,
    our runner in the Florida heat and rain became soaked enough with sweat that they lost their stickiness and were flopping around, but those were really extreme conditions.

They are a game changer when laving talent. https://www.amazon.com/Rycote-065505...s%2C177&sr=8-1
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

3. Collapse Details
    I can definitely see using one with the X-T3 and avoiding those preamps...

4. Collapse Details
    I can definitely see using one with the X-T3 and avoiding those preamps...
    Bingo, that's the whole reason we bought four of them, shooting lifestyle stuff for our Docu Series with the XT-3s on gimbals and no sound mixer. I continue to use them for this, shot a walk and talk at a public park the other with the father of one of the kids killed in a mass shooting for a PSA we're producing. Worked great, as usual. These little Tascams are really quite wonderful for the money. I haven't used my Røde video wireless in almost a year now. Wireless is a such a PITA compared to these.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Bingo, that's the whole reason we bought four of them, shooting lifestyle stuff for our Docu Series with the XT-3s on gimbals and no sound mixer. I continue to use them for this, shot a walk and talk at a public park the other with the father of one of the kids killed in a mass shooting for a PSA we're producing. Worked great, as usual. These little Tascams are really quite wonderful for the money. I haven't used my Røde video wireless in almost a year now. Wireless is a such a PITA compared to these.
    Yeah, I have two Sennheiser sets (g3/g2) and they are a PITA. But besides that I often shoot solo and stripping down all barriers between me and the subject(s) is paramount. I feel like wearing headphones creates intimacy issues because you're not listening to the subjects "real" voice. Anyway, I think I'll pick up a few of these and keep the wireless for the $ shoots... BTW good luck with your PSA. If you can post it please do so. The issue is such an important one for me that I feel like I should be doing more as a filmmaker to address it...

6. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I have two Sennheiser sets (g3/g2) and they are a PITA. But besides that I often shoot solo and stripping down all barriers between me and the subject(s) is paramount. I feel like wearing headphones creates intimacy issues because you're not listening to the subjects "real" voice. Anyway, I think I'll pick up a few of these and keep the wireless for the $ shoots... BTW good luck with your PSA. If you can post it please do so. The issue is such an important one for me that I feel like I should be doing more as a filmmaker to address it...
    I'll see if I can once they are finished, we will be in production over the next few months as this will be a series of PSAs. The survivors and parents/family of the people killed are going to get training in storytelling from a good theater director and then we are going to record a story podcast. The project is aimed at the survivors and families of those lost to make them aware that there are mental health services available to help them cope with their loss and with the PTSD and tragedy they are facing. They are really PSAs aimed toward the community, not the public but we know that once they hit social media, they will become widely viewed. Trying to focus on the healing, what's helping people cope and the memories they have. Interesting project and hopefully it will help the community.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Pardon my ignorance, who, or what are those PSAs? What is PSA in this context?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, who, or what are those PSAs? What is PSA in this context?
    Public Service Announcement.
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

9. Collapse Details
    Why not -12 for the safety track? Too much noise if you need to use it? The DR40's we use with our radio students I set for -12, and it seems to work pretty well on the few times they need it.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    Why not -12 for the safety track? Too much noise if you need to use it? The DR40's we use with our radio students I set for -12, and it seems to work pretty well on the few times they need it.
    Personal preference. I have found the -6dB to work great for my subjects and needs, you could set it for -12dB?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast