Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Just ordered my third DR-10L today and my producing partner bought one too. He has some nice, higher end mics laying around (Sanken COS-11, Countryman B3) that are wired for Sennheiser and I ordered another OST 801 for my third DR-10L.
    We have decided that these are far superior to wireless in the situations we have been shooting in for our documentary (no sound mixer and we are in many situations and locations that would be difficult for wireless)
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    How does the DR-10C compare to the DR-10L? What was changed on it. I read and saw the lawsuit. I am looking at the DR-10L or DR-10X.

3. Collapse Details
    Aside from the throughput, the DR-10L and 10C are the same AFAIK. The 10C however can be purchased from European sources. The 10L has a jack for the Sennheiser Evolution 100 series type locking mini-plug. The 10X (plug-on) is designed more for XLR hand-held mics. It does not have Phantom Power though.
    Last edited by Rick R; 07-29-2019 at 10:26 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Aside from the throughput, the DR-10L and 10C are the same AFAIK. The 10C however can be purchased from European sources. The 10L has a jack for the Sennheiser Evolution 100 series type locking mini-plug. The 10X (plug-on) is designed more for XLR hand-held mics. It does not have Phantom Power though.
    So they are pretty much the same minus the line out? Can I listen to the audio from the headphone jack while recording?

I have read posts on other places that stated that the DR-10L was crippled because of the lawsuit.

Thanks.

5. Collapse Details
    The Tascam DR-10C has locking 3.5mm TRS (Sennheiser style) mic. In and Out jacks, plus non-locking 3.5mm TRS jack for headphones. Thus the audio can be recorded internally and simultaneously be sent from the recorder to a wireless transmitter and be monitored locally with headphones.
    It was posted also on this forum that the Tascam DR-10C cannot be sold in the USA due to patent registered in the USA.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Heezzi View Post
    Can I listen to the audio from the headphone jack while recording?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Heezzi View Post
    I have read posts on other places that stated that the DR-10L was crippled because of the lawsuit.
    Zaxcom managed to file their paperwork with wording that effectively granted them a US patent not just on a particular product design, but on the entire concept of simultaneously recording and transmitting audio from talent wireless (“virtual wireless multitrack recording system”) . They sued Tascam because the DR-10C allows users to do just that.

Zaxcom sued Lectrosonics for the PDR, which is like a high-end version of the DR-10L with time code jamming capabilities. I don’t believe that lawsuit was effective, or it’s still ongoing, because the PDR is still available. Lectro also have a transmitter that can record to microSD, but it can only do one or the other (transmit or record) and cannot do both simultaneously.
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

7. Collapse Details
    Could I hook one of these up to a MixPre D and have a (non-timecode synced) recorder with good pre-amps? Running the input at line level how would it sound?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Just ordered my third DR-10L today and my producing partner bought one too. He has some nice, higher end mics laying around (Sanken COS-11, Countryman B3) that are wired for Sennheiser and I ordered another OST 801 for my third DR-10L.
    We have decided that these are far superior to wireless in the situations we have been shooting in for our documentary (no sound mixer and we are in many situations and locations that would be difficult for wireless)
    Dan, are you worried/have any issues with not being able to monitor or are you using these as back-ups?

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    With all of that said, I shouldn't have a problem running a DR-10X (It's 80 cheaper) into a Rode Wireless Go using the headphone jack?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    Dan, are you worried/have any issues with not being able to monitor or are you using these as back-ups?
    No, they have been main sound on lots of shoots now. They're not perfect, at times they can overmodulate a bit but they are surprisingly good, the limiter and it's handy having that safety track, I record it -6dB under the main and it's been a lifesaver too.
    Not using them as backups at all, they have been front and center on quite a few shoots now, even using them for client work when we cannot afford a sound mixer. MUCH better than trying to use on-camera mics or an inexperienced boom op.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast