Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Not an editor, but a fast(er) drive is gonna help no matter if it's HD, 4K or higher. I just had a real world wake-up call as to how much faster SSD's can be when moving big files around. We had a multi-cam shoot at the beginning of the week, involving an F55, F5 and A7sII on a Movi, plus the iso audio and mp3 transcription files. I copied everything to one of my small SanDisk Extreme 1TB SSD's(native USB C to USB 3.0 on computer side), then copied that all encompassing folder to another SSD and then a spinning HDD, all through my 2012 RMBP. It took a little under 10 mins to copy from the original SSD to the second SSD, then when I copied again from the original SSD to the HDD it took ~50+ minutes.

2. Collapse Details
    And if it takes that long to copy, imagine how the performance would be affected while editing, especially with grading or other effects. Better drives are like buying more time.
    A great way to check the speed of your drives is with Blackmagic's Speed Test. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blac...25264550?mt=12

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the tips, have been using both the AJA and Blackmagic speed tests for years. Have a great week!

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
    But I've just added a new thunderbolt enclosure w/drives to my budget. It's the OWC Thunderbay 6. Any thoughts?
    Good choice.
    I have two Thunderbay 4TB drives with SSDs. Best drives I have ever owned by far.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    Good choice.
    I have two Thunderbay 4TB drives with SSDs. Best drives I have ever owned by far.
    Excellent! We have appreciated OWC products for years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12