Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Blackmagic's New URSA Mini - Will We See a New Sony Soon?
    Blackmagic announced their new URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 today. It looks great. Obviously BM has notoriously been plagued with quality control issues and the overall ability to trust their cameras for professional work. That being said, they seemed to have ironed a lot of that out on the URSA Mini Pro which has been used on a lot of bigger projects recently. The new URSA Mini Pro G2, if it follows a similar path, should make for another great offer by the company.

I am in no way interested in getting one of these over my FS7II, however, it definitely begs the question of when we should see a new FS camera. I personally ran a FS7 for nearly three years and ended up grabbing a MKII last year to replace it. I really enjoy the camera as it ticks almost all of the boxes for me. I don't plan to get rid of my FS7II for a while, but I do think Sony's offerings are starting to get a little long in the tooth. The F55, F5, FS7 (I & II) and FS5 (I & II) are all great cameras, but now days competitors are offering higher frame rates, advanced autofocus, smaller bodies (well, some of them are smaller), better LCD screens (Canon for example) and affordable raw.

Do you think Sony is getting ready to replace at least one of these cameras in order to update their line, or do you think 2020 will be the year? Again, I don't plan to sell my FS7II anytime soon, but I'd just genuinely love to hear your thoughts.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/03/...Ao_CumAsHLcdAw

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Milligan View Post
    ... now days competitors are offering higher frame rates, advanced autofocus, smaller bodies (well, some of them are smaller), better LCD screens (Canon for example) and affordable raw.
    Are they? I certainly won't jump ship until BM starts to get a bit of a reputation for dependability. But I also haven't seen other competitors (with built-in ND's, XLR audio, etc) that have enticed me from my F7I - even on specs alone. That purchase, I bought my FS7 about 1 month after they starting shipping, has long paid for itself. But I'm also not the sort to buy a new camera every year...so maybe I've missed an announcement...

I would like to see another major FW update - say 5.0 before Sony starts adding more cameras. No idea if that will happen or if this year brings more camera's...might depend on how well Venice starts doing...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by markfpv View Post
    Are they? I certainly won't jump ship until BM starts to get a bit of a reputation for dependability. But I also haven't seen other competitors (with built-in ND's, XLR audio, etc) that have enticed me from my F7I - even on specs alone. That purchase, I bought my FS7 about 1 month after they starting shipping, has long paid for itself. But I'm also not the sort to buy a new camera every year...so maybe I've missed an announcement...
    I'm like you in that I'm not the type of person to buy a new camera like this every year. My FS7 was long paid off before I picked up a FS7II and that camera is now paid off as well. The only cameras I've upgraded somewhat frequently have been the Sony mirrorless line and that's only because each version desperately needed the update. But even then, the version III mirrorless cameras are fantastic and won't need updating for quite some time.

I don't think Sony is behind necessarily, just that their cameras are at the point now where I could see a need for some refreshment. Not that I myself would get one anytime soon, but still.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    It would be nice if Sony put out a firmware update that added the VENICE look to the FS7.

I

5. Collapse Details
    I might be interested if BM were to put out an E-Mount late and my recent investments in glass could move with me. I might..... ;>)
    Brian Murphy
    Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto
    Sony PXW-Z150 -Sony A7iii -Sony A6400/A6000
    Sony-28/135 Cine-Tokina 11/16-Sigma 70/200 Sigma 24/70, Nikon 55(1.2)
    Rokinon AF 18mm F2.8, AF 50mm F1.4
    Collection of CY lenses and vintage Nikons, Canons.
    DJI Osmo Plus -GoPro H5
    DJI Mavic Mini
    Konovas motorized slider kit.
    Teradek Vidiu kit-PFY Eagle Eye/iPad mini 5

6. Collapse Details
    I think to be prized away from the FS7 we need to be presented with an 'order of magnitude' improvement.

500FPS and amazing AF might do it.

At the moment you have
    -BM no af
    -C200 no HFR
    -Eva - no AF

none really eat the FS7 as a jobbing camera.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    I think to be prized away from the FS7 we need to be presented with an 'order of magnitude' improvement.

At the moment you have
    -BM no af
    -C200 no HFR
    -Eva - no AF

no af except Canon is reliable for work.
    all these cameras are jobbing cameras with different strengths and weaknesses.
    It depends on your personal taste and preferences.
    for me the Panasonic color science in scene files is priceless,
    you might have a different perspective.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Clermond View Post
    In cinema cameras.

Almost everyone else has caught up with them with AF in the mirrorless world.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post

At the moment you have
    -BM no af
    -C200 no HFR
    -Eva - no AF

FS5 with a9 auto focus is what I am waiting for

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Clermond View Post
    all these cameras are jobbing cameras with different strengths and weaknesses.
    It depends on your personal taste and preferences.
    for me the Panasonic color science in scene files is priceless,
    you might have a different perspective.
    The perspective is as an FS7 owner considering cost of a trade up/out across vs income. (this is the FS7 board and we are discussing FS7 stuff it is not a general discussion)

None of the current bunch induce a desire to trade out of my reasonably functional system which I own and is paid for.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast