Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    It used to not be a big deal to keep using the same version of software for years, but now everyone wants the latest and greatest. Unfortunately, latest may not always be greatest. I've been using Media Composer 8.4 since 2015 simply because it works. All I use my NLE for these days is cutting, so as long as I have a workflow to get my video into it and out of it to the other software I use, why upgrade? I've been updating Resolve regularly but with the past few releases adding Fairlight and now Fusion, it's starting to feel bloated and has been quite unstable. All I use it for is ingest and grading/mastering, so I downgraded Resolve to the version that came with my camera (12 or 12.5) before they introduced the stuff I don't use. It runs great and hasn't changed my workflow. I guess I'm at the point where when my whole "eccosystem" just works in concert (camera, computer, editing, vfx, sound, online), I don't see the point in upgrading anymore. Now that I have that stability and reliability, I probably won't look at upgrading anything until I either need to get a new camera or the computer dies.

Independent Filmmaker
    BMD URSA Mini 4K/Avid Media Composer/NukeX/Blender/Mixcraft/ProTools/Resolve Studio

Feature Films
    Wulf - 2008 | Leap - 2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast - 2011 | Surviving The Wild - 2020

2. Collapse Details
    Ive had stability issues with resolve 14 on Sierra. I like the all in one idea but it may not be ready for prime time. But then again someone on here said it likes the versions to keep up with the OSes for best results (i.e maybe 14 would play better with High Sierra).

I would imagine those who edit all the time and for a living have different needs than those who do it only occasionally. FCPx would not be fun to dive into if you had a couple days or a week to turn a project around.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by El Director View Post
    All I use my NLE for these days is cutting, so as long as I have a workflow to get my video into it and out of it to the other software I use, why upgrade?
    Ditto.. FCP 7 just works. It works for what I need it to work for and it's the NLE i have nearly 20 years experience behind. Same mentality goes for my beast of a camera (Panavised F900).
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch 2007
    Final Cut Studio 3

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by El Director View Post
    ..... I probably won't look at upgrading anything until I either need to get a new camera or the computer dies.
    Me too. I hope to stick with the same cameras for a while.
    Once everything works I like to leave it alone

5. Collapse Details
    I keep a copy of FCP on an old Mac Pro for legacy project that resurface, but otherwise stopped using it long ago.

6. Collapse Details
    Main reason I haven't upgraded from Sierra. I do the bulk of my work on FCP 7, as everything I get comes to me in Prores. I hate the FCP X magnetic timeline. But I love a lot of the other features it has, mostly to do with audio, and how well it handles h.264 and Red footage. Deal breaker for me is media management, as it doesn't trim files when consolidating. Dipping into Resolve with a few projects, it still seems a little rough around the edges for editing, and I have performance issues on it I don't have on FCP X or 7.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

7. Collapse Details
    I'm sure you know this but you can edit with the 'position' tool, which kind of behaves like the magnetic timeline is off.

In 2011, I HATED it.

In 2019, I wouldn't be able to (or want to) edit without it.

8. Collapse Details
    I don't miss having to transcode everything to ProRes before I can start cutting with FCP7!
    FCPX took a while to get used to but i couldn't go back to FCP7, X is blazing fast in comparison on a decently specced machine
    EVA1, AF101, AC161, GH4

9. Collapse Details
    Resolve 15 (latest) is pretty good and worth learning. You can do things in Resolve that aren't possible in FCP (any), PP CC, AE, Avid etc. I find it useful to periodically experiment with FCP X and Resolve (I use PP CC mainly) to see what the other tools can do and if they provide unique solutions or ways to do things faster/more-efficiently. For example, I recently learned that Resolve's 3D keyer can provide 'single hair-level' green screen keying (in 8-bit 422!) which I had never been able to do in PP CC, FCP X, or After Effects. The fact that it's super easy and fast was another eye-opener. I dig the node-based model as well. FCP X's magnetic timeline never bothered me; just different. Each system can be useful for different project types.

After using 3DSMax for years for 3D modeling, animation, and rendering (including writing sophisticated C/C++ plugins to export data for games and simulations), and later Blender and Maya, NLEs are so much simpler in comparison that learning them all (at least a basic familiarity) is a useful since they all have different strengths and weaknesses. I even tried HitFilm a few times; only reason I stopped was it was so slow compared to everything else (same reason I stopped using Vegas years ago (and too many bugs). I had used Vegas as it was the only NLE I could use to edit Sony TD10 stereo 3D video. Cineform had a plugin for Premiere for 3D but proved too buggy).

It's good in general to keep challenging yourself and learning new things- "brain plasticity" to promote creativity and probably more importantly, to think for yourself (not follow the herd) and at the same time be open-minded (sometimes others/groups have valid points/ideas). This helps one develop discernment- to have confidence in one's views and at the same be able to accept new views as more accurate/useful/true; being aware of one's own biases and willing to let them go when appropriate (awareness of the need and acceptance to seek a balanced ego (which is a never ending process)).

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TubEfingers View Post
    FCPX took a while to get used to but i couldn't go back to FCP7, X is blazing fast in comparison on a decently specced machine
    Would you believe me if I told you I've edited 4K on a MacBook Air for 4 years before 2018.

I can't do any heavy color grading or of course crazy effects, but once I transcode to proxies overnight (thus working in the 'better performance' mode), I am in business. I wasted a small fortune on cameras over the years, but have been extremely frugal and more importantly productively and financially efficient with hardware/software costs because of FCP X.

You would have to pay me a vary large 'inconvenience fee' to use anything else.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast