Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Panasonic Lumix S1 first quick test
    Adcom guys asked me to produce a first impressions video with the very new Panasonic Lumix S1.

Only one day to test it, as often happens (in those days, I've been involved in two different shootings).

The camera I used was a pre-series model, so there was no V-Log and no 10bit on-board recording (10bit rec. available only in HLG 75Mbps Long Gop mode).

I used the Flat pp in UHD 8bit.

I can't wait to try the S1 with the V-Log and 10bit on-board recording.

Lens: Lumix 24-105mm f/4

https://vimeo.com/318539224

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Thanks for sharing. A lot of potential. Especially if the digital sharpening look can be toned down a bit.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. A lot of potential. Especially if the digital sharpening look can be toned down a bit.
    You're welcome.
    The V-Log is essential and consider that the Lumix 24-105 has been designed to cover the S1R needs.

4. Collapse Details
    I agree. I hope the 10bit addon is released close to launch and reasonable. Also, I meant the S1's image quality has potential, not you Filippe! You are already awesome

The 24-105 f4 lens looks to be a great still lens. I am guessing this camera will have a lot of character with vintage lenses. Very detailed sensor + older glass might be a winner.

5. Collapse Details
    If that was straight from the camera it looks like daylight balanced Kodak Ektachrome, more film like than Pocket 4K easily.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Looks extremely like video...nothing film-like about it.

(It's not bad...just saying.)

7. Collapse Details
    Film was never red tone warmed to the degree of Filippo's P4K video, nor as saturated. For a true film look, daylight balanced Ektachrome the S1 video is much closer.

8. Collapse Details
    I don't doubt you're technically correct (I don't know), but most people would associate film-like with something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Md5PqFXpM&t=12s (Pocket 4K)

Even Filippo's GH5S video (with the Fujinon lenses) looked much more film-like.

(I do understand the conditions here/with the S1 are harsh.)

9. Collapse Details
    Fantastically clean, excellent detail, lovely colors, until we get to skin tones: Panasonic orange-tone- needs more blues in the skin. This is something ARRI does really well and to a lesser extent Canon (tends to run red/yellow too hot) & now Fuji (seems balanced so far but not of fan of most of the looks). Sony tends to be more neutral but can go green / magenta / yellow depending on lighting. All fixable in post though it appears many don't bother.

@NorBro- nothing wrong with the footage in terms of video/film: to get that kind of footage to look more filmic takes a little diffusion and a more film-like tone curve + a little grain. Best to start super clean, detailed, and artifact-free, then can make look more filmic in post as desired. If they can work on skin tones and AF, will make another great option.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I don't doubt you're technically correct (I don't know), but most people would associate film-like with something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Md5PqFXpM&t=12s (Pocket 4K)

Even Filippo's GH5S video (with the Fujinon lenses) looked much more film-like.

(I do understand the conditions here/with the S1 are harsh.)
    I think we're confusing "film-like" with "cinematic." The P4K video is cinematic in the contemporary sense of modern production values, use of gimbals, low light but very un-film like in the sense that film doesn't look that way, has grain, texture. The C1 also fails to be film like in that sense of grain and texture but has strong daylight color balance resemblance to Kodak Ektachrome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast