Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    YouTube and Vimeo both do adaptive bitrate streaming. While YT works pretty well, I’ve never gotten good results from Vimeo for 4K, even with 240Mbps internet.

Good point re: initial quality. See the resolution icon lower right and make sure it says HD, 4K etc.

2. Collapse Details
    Yes I have made sure I was looking at 1080p on a 1080 file. still looks kinda cruddy.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    Once upon a time, there were some settings and compressions/containers that if your file was in this, Youtube did nothing but pass it on to the viewer... Is this still true? Also remember that when the file says it is done processing, it is really only done with a single pass. The encoders will keep working on multiple passes in the background, so your initial upload may look different after a short amount of time.

That said, Youtube can still be found to munge a lot of work.
    This is good but how do you know? It seems everything Google related is sort of secret.

4. Collapse Details
    They used to have it posted, but now it is so hard to find anything you have to wonder about it. For 1080 24/30p streams I want to say it was h.264/aac audio at 15-18 mbps in an mp4 wrapper. Kind of low but you can still get good results. With their use of VP9 as preferred codec (they made it, among others) I don't know how this holds today.

5. Collapse Details
    Yes. I recently went digging about copyright stuff and it took a while to find what I was looking for. The overall YT experience has improved a lot though. We are considering their TV service after the last cable bill price hike.

6. Collapse Details
    Looks like handbrake can do vp9 encoding so I will try that. I have done h264 at 30mbps and still bad. Weird thing is an h264 I exported from fcpx using the master file/apple devices/for computers setting came out much better than ones encoded in handbrake or any other program I tried. But still not great.

7. Collapse Details
    How bad is bad? Lab coat bad or bad? 30mbps should be darn good if you encode with x.264 in my experience.

8. Collapse Details
    30mbps will force youtube to re-encode the file at the same resolution. What you need to find is the codec, bit rate, and maybe wrapper that allows the content to be used without re-encoding. And for 1080 the 15 to 18 mbps range seems about right. But again this may be old info, I haven't looked critically at anything I've uploaded, and most of that is low motion content.

9. Collapse Details
    No mention here of the addition of noise/grain.

Lets assume YT recompresses everything. Compression (very) basically looks for pixels near each other that are close in colour and lumps them into a block together saving data and creating a block of solid colour that us video people find unapealling. Cat video watchers dont mind a few blocks.

Grain will make each pixel quite different to the ones close to it - making it harder for the compression to convert the image into a bunch of blocks.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    Once upon a time, there were some settings and compressions/containers that if your file was in this, Youtube did nothing but pass it on to the viewer... Is this still true?
    No, YouTube re-encodes everything.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast