Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    creating larger than hd file to get better quality hd on youtube?
    I have heard this works, cant test right now and would like to see if anyone knows before I spend more time on it. Apparently some folks say you can get better hd on youtube by creating a slightly larger than hd file (2048x1152 is the example Iíve seen used). This triggers youtube to stream it at a higher bitrate than it does with actual hd material. However I am not sure it still works and believe I read it can create a worse experience for the viewer for some reason (bitrate too high for many viewers or something). Anyone tried this with success?

2. Collapse Details
    YouTube has recently increased the quality for 1080p uploads, though adding 1080p footage to a 4K/UHD timeline/sequence and sharpening slightly (sometimes adding 4K noise/grain before sharpening can also help) and rendering as 4K/UHD MXF/ProRes or similar produces the best results on YouTube, especially when the viewer can handle a 4K stream. YouTube will adapt bitrate/resolution for available bandwidth.
    Last edited by jcs; 02-20-2019 at 09:03 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Take a look at this TimeinPixels tutorial.

You might try Googl's VP9 codec as well.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Imamacuser View Post
    Take a look at this TimeinPixels tutorial.

You might try Googl's VP9 codec as well.
    In PP CC you can use Lumetri sharpen or Sharpen (Effect). Unsharp Mask isn’t GPU accelerated and tends to be better suited for local contrast enhancement / LCE (using a large radius e.g 300). Adding noise/grain is especially helpful for soft 1080p (e.g. Canon full frame). For really soft footage (e.g slomo), you can do what I call Multi-Spectral Detail Enhancement, where you do LCE, unsharp mask, noise grain, and sharpen (convolution based): low, medium, and high frequency contrast enhancement.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks. Just to be clear Im talking about projects shot and finished in HD. Any higher rez would solely be for “tricking” youtube. Ive been testing files for a few days, have tried prores and even prores hq for an hd file and YT is still beating it up pretty bad. Unless that’s YT dumbing down the stream for my (and my buddy whos been testing the files too) connection speed?

6. Collapse Details
    Try selecting 4K, as well as using Chrome if on Mac. There’s also a 1440 HD option sometimes.

7. Collapse Details
    I havent tried a higher than hd upload yet, everything I mentioned above has been 1080p so far.

8. Collapse Details
    If viewing on a mobile device you might need to use the YouTube app to get decent quality. Perhaps also try Chrome vs. Safari if on iOS.

9. Collapse Details
    the less than stellar results ive been getting are judging by viewing on computer monitor

10. Collapse Details
    Once upon a time, there were some settings and compressions/containers that if your file was in this, Youtube did nothing but pass it on to the viewer... Is this still true? Also remember that when the file says it is done processing, it is really only done with a single pass. The encoders will keep working on multiple passes in the background, so your initial upload may look different after a short amount of time.

That said, Youtube can still be found to munge a lot of work.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast