Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Arthurs View Post
    For what it's worth I used the 2200 nit FeelWorld FW279 7" recently on an outside in-the-snow gig and it did the job. Bright enough in noon sun without a hood. Best colors, best features? Doesn't matter, I just want to see to focus when I'm outside, and focus you can.

There's an HDMI only and a model for more with SDI as well.

Good run time at full brightness with the Sony NP-F batteries, very, very long run time at "in-door" brightness.
    Does your monitor have any LUT support? Looking at the 7" SDI model and I can't find any reference to LUT support anywhere?
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    No, no LUT support.

This upcoming Swit model might be better as it's even brighter and has LUT support for a little more money...

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/04/...it-7-monitors/
    Jim Arthurs

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Arthurs View Post
    No, no LUT support.

This upcoming Swit model might be better as it's even brighter and has LUT support for a little more money...

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/04/...it-7-monitors/
    I would wait little bit for Swit, at least for some first hands reviews. I have bought their previous version. I believe it was announced at the end of 2018. I preordered it right away and it came 2 days before NAB 2019 where they announced those new monitors. Cheaper, more features, better form factor. My 'old' model is extremely sh*tty and Swit won't replace my unit. I can't use LUTs, HDR and fan noise is same as Boeing 747 during take off. If you think Inferno is loud, you haven't heard this.

Be careful with them.

4. Collapse Details
    What a complete bummer, KrocanX. Thanks for sharing your story.
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by KrocanX View Post
    I would wait little bit for Swit, at least for some first hands reviews. I have bought their previous version. I believe it was announced at the end of 2018. I preordered it right away and it came 2 days before NAB 2019 where they announced those new monitors. Cheaper, more features, better form factor. My 'old' model is extremely sh*tty and Swit won't replace my unit. I can't use LUTs, HDR and fan noise is same as Boeing 747 during take off. If you think Inferno is loud, you haven't heard this.

Be careful with them.
    I won't buy any monitor or light that has loud fan noise, that's a no go for me, I'm very audio oriented.

6. Collapse Details
    This doesn't fit Dan's needs I think, but for the next 12 hours, B&H has a "DealZone" deal on the SmallHD FOCUS SDI Monitor Kit. There are three bundles of accessories. IPS version, starting at $379 with cables, tilt arm, etc.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/dealZone.jsp

Perhaps your local dealer can match the price?
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Feeley View Post
    This doesn't fit Dan's needs I think, but for the next 12 hours, B&H has a "DealZone" deal on the SmallHD FOCUS SDI Monitor Kit. There are three bundles of accessories. IPS version, starting at $379 with cables, tilt arm, etc.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/dealZone.jsp

Perhaps your local dealer can match the price?
    Not mention killer deals on Sandisk Extreme Pro SD cards, only $67.00 for 256GB cards!

8. Collapse Details
    I have really disliked smallHD's Page OS operating system since it came out(can't overstate that enough), but I just bought a 5.5" Focus OLED SDI about a month or so ago, and with a touchscreen monitor, it finally makes sense. And the touch/push/pinch to zoom-in on the screen is actually very cool and intuitive(like our smartphones). I give them a big thumbs up. And the swivel mount is awesome. SO much better than a Noga arm.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Received the Portkeys LH5 HDR monitor today, the cheap 5" LCD model with only HDMI in.

The good
    Menus aren't too bad. No Atomos easy but usable
    Small, light, good for gimbal
    Very efficient on battery, has a voltmeter on screen
    1500 nits totally usable in direct daylight
    The LUT implementation is easy and straightforward
    Really cheap, $289.00

The Bad
    Really fragile feeling, if you dropped it, it would be history
    Has a fan, didn't know that but on medium and low it can't be heard. But pretty loud on high
    Worst of all, this screen is extraordinarly soft, like it almost looks like SD soft? I tried adjusting output from 1080 from the camera to UHD but it doesn't look too different. Wondering if I could have a default set wrong or ? Hard to believe in 2019 that an HD screen could look this soft.

Ordered the Atomos Shinobi SDI today, going to see if I can live with 1,000 nits and possibly use the hood on my gimbal. One of these monitors will be returned.

Life lesson. Forget trying to buy a monitor off of specs alone, you HAVE to actually shoot with a camera monitor to see if it will work for you. Is it bright enough? Sharp enough? Do the features make sense as well as the menus?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Really fragile feeling, if you dropped it, it would be history
    Has a fan, didn't know that but on medium and low it can't be heard. But pretty loud on high
    Worst of all, this screen is extraordinarly soft, like it almost looks like SD soft?
    Bummer. For fragility, there's always a (weight-adding) cage from SmallRig or someone, if there's one that fit (SmallRig, for example, makes cages for major brands and also for FeelWorld...). https://www.smallrig.com/cages/monitor-cage.html

As for the softness, I wonder if they're overdriving the panel to get all those nits and that's causing some sort of blooming that blows out sharpness?

Thanks for taking the hit for all of us. We each owe you a coffee, beer, or lunch...
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast