Thread: gh5 autofocus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    gh5 autofocus
    Hello, it is time to upgrade form my GH3. Coming form Panasonic my first path is to go with GH5, it has almost evcerything needed for shooting video in planned situation adn also in a kind of run and gun. Only thing that seems weak is AUTOFOCUS, though i have read that firmware updates have make it better. My alternative is FUJI XT3, which have very good specs in all, but no IBIS. I would like a comment on this choice. How is the real situazion of autofocus with GH5 now? Also do you think is still a choice GH5 after 2 years it has come out and with newer project around? A good point with GH5 is that i could save money buying it second hand for example. Thanks for help!
    Lumix GH3 +Neway CL77H +Rokkor MD50 +Rokkor MD135 + Rokkor 35-75 +Lumix 14-45 +Lumix 45-175

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    You can not use the GH5 autofocus for anything critical where you have to have this shot, right here, right now one time. It's just not reliable enough. It will often at the most inopportune time pulse and lock onto the background even when you have a face taking up more than a third of the frame.

With that said the GH5 is an incredible camera. Too many features to list and the image is orders of magnitude above the GH3. You have lenses and know the interface to some extent. The XT3 looks nice but not nice enough to switch systems for me.

Cheers,
    Pete

3. Collapse Details
    i often find myself in a situation of interview or with the need to record without planning and without possibility to repeat. Neither to be able to be all the time at the lcd monitor and refocus...that s why is crucial for me the autofocus. Not the i i fiolm animal or sport action, generally people...this thing with autofocus makes me so doubtfull
    Lumix GH3 +Neway CL77H +Rokkor MD50 +Rokkor MD135 + Rokkor 35-75 +Lumix 14-45 +Lumix 45-175

4. Collapse Details
    Here's my manual focus test using a fly by wire 42.5mm f/1.7

https://youtu.be/GbESNMYJmEk

I think using the touch screen autofocus with a punch in to manual when needed works incredibly quickly and there is never a situation where you can't do that before you hit record. Then it's up to you to keep the same distance to the subject. That can be the hard part if you aren't on a stabilizer or gimbal.

In any case I think the whole need to rely on auto focus is completely misplaced for run and gun. The manual focus tools of the GH5 are incredible if you ask me.

Cheers, Pete

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanocps View Post
    i often find myself in a situation of interview or with the need to record without planning and without possibility to repeat.
    That's most of my work...very brief & unplanned soundbites with no second chances.

IMO, Canon's still #1 for this. Personally, I just don't want to worry about focus when shooting very shallow with moving subjects, and with the Canon when a face enters the frame it immediately gets tracked perfectly 99% of the time (with a good lens using the 5D Mark IV/1DX Mark II from my experience). You can touch the screen to transition from an area/face to another area/face seamlessly.

Some other companies besides Panasonic (although the S1/R looks promising with the right settings) may be an option too. Definitely Sony's newer mirrorless', Nikon's Z6/Z7, and Fuji's X-T3. Some others too, but it's generally either a bundle of Canon models that offer DPAF (even the HD-only ones) or the newer-ish technology from everyone else.

Like many I think the GH6 will have pretty good AF as Panasonic has made a lot of progress over the years.

6. Collapse Details
    Yes, put it like this. wWhat i would like to use is a camcorder like SONY AX700/NX80, for the possibilites to be ready quick, and autofocus, stabilization ecc. But this way i will have little control over the image, in term of DOF, and i find this important instead
    So either i will use 2 tools, example AX700 and Panasoni G80/85 , so together i can cover most of my need, or i ll go a SLR that is more similar in term of quick usability to AX700. For what i have understood FUJI XT3 could be the one! Canon and Nikon are out of my budget

7. Collapse Details
    Really depends on which Canon...the SL2 body (HD, DPAF) is $499, and the new 4K EOS RP (not known if 4K DPAF is available) will be around $1300.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Really depends on which Canon...the SL2 body (HD, DPAF) is $499, and the new 4K EOS RP (not known if 4K DPAF is available) will be around $1300.
    aahh i though you were referring to those you mentioned, so remaining well under 1500 for body what would you suggest, i never considered much canon for video?i am readin some specs for eos rp don't seems to have high end video spec, (in temrs of fps at least) while sl2 seems not to have 4k right?
    Last edited by stefanocps; 02-13-2019 at 12:38 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Yea, unfortunately no 4K DPAF in any right now besides the 5D Mark IV, 1DX Mark II, EOS R, and possibly EOS RP (will be announced in a few hours).

None of them do 4K/60p besides the 1DX Mark II, and the EOS R is the only one with external 10-bit.

C-Log and digital IS is offered in the EOS R (and the IS is actually not that bad, but it's not like Panasonic's/Olympus' IBIS). The 5D Mark IV has C-Log too.

All of them have crops in 4K with the 1DX Mark II's 1.2x/1.3x being the least.

Under $1500, the EOS RP would be the only 4K DPAF choice (if it has it).

If HD is okay, I can name some others.

Everything with Canon is a mix of tricks...60p here ($$$), 10-bit there (external), C-Log here in a better body (5D Mark IV)...just seems impossible to get everything in one camera for the time being although the EOS R is close if it had the 5D Mark IV's or 1DX Mark II's body (at least in my opinion).

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Yea, unfortunately no 4K DPAF in any right now besides the 5D Mark IV, 1DX Mark II, EOS R, and possibly EOS RP (will be announced in a few hours).

None of them do 4K/60p besides the 1DX Mark II, and the EOS R is the only one with external 10-bit.

C-Log and digital IS is offered in the EOS R (and the IS is actually not that bad, but it's not like Panasonic's/Olympus' IBIS). The 5D Mark IV has C-Log too.

All of them have crops in 4K with the 1DX Mark II's 1.2x/1.3x being the least.

Under $1500, the EOS RP would be the only 4K DPAF choice (if it has it).

If HD is okay, I can name some others.

Everything with Canon is a mix of tricks...60p here ($$$), 10-bit there (external), C-Log here in a better body (5D Mark IV)...just seems impossible to get everything in one camera for the time being although the EOS R is close if it had the 5D Mark IV's or 1DX Mark II's body (at least in my opinion).
    would not buy anything without 4k, so canon could be copnsidered only for this new model coming out. On theother hand fuji xt3 seems muche better tool

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast