Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Speaking of camera comparisons...

Lee Morris at F-Stoppers compared different formats in a blind test that will be revieled in a video next week sometime.
    https://fstoppers.com/originals/can-...picture-383354

I think most of know the differences and benefits of the varying formats. For example if you are making 2MP images, then there is probably little reason to spend more for medium format cameras. But we also know that there is a big difference between medium format lens at f4 with 100MP image, vs 16MP m43 camera at f1.8.... .
    Whether the photo-video consumer wants it, it's pretty clear that the Japanese manufacturers decided to make it a size game. Full frame models that were only recently selling in the mid-$3,000's are now dropping into the low-mid $1,000's. Medium Format that was only recently in the new car price range is now down to price of a new Lada. 100 MPX for ten grand is a good deal but probably be down in the $6,000 territory within two years, with the 150 MPX taking over $10,000 and 200-250 MPX taking over $25,000.

And MFT going below $750.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Whether the photo-video consumer wants it, it's pretty clear that the Japanese manufacturers decided to make it a size game. Full frame models that were only recently selling in the mid-$3,000's are now dropping into the low-mid $1,000's. Medium Format that was only recently in the new car price range is now down to price of a new Lada. 100 MPX for ten grand is a good deal but probably be down in the $6,000 territory within two years, with the 150 MPX taking over $10,000 and 200-250 MPX taking over $25,000.

And MFT going below $750.
    While I think the GFX100S is really exciting technology, for video/digital cinema, I am not yet convinced that it's worth the expense, weight and form factor over just a S35 imager for 4K.
    I am open to being convinced, once it's shipping and some of the better testers can shoot it against say the Alexa Mini, C200, BMD UMP G2, etc. the proof will be in the footage.
    The improvements for video may be fairly subtle, like comparing FF digital cinema cameras to their S35 counterparts. I doubt if the Alexa Mini LF is going to look really any better than
    the regular Alexa Mini. The really interesting shootout will be the GFX100S against the XT-3, side by side.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Agreed.

I have the GFX50s and while the still quality is stunning, if I got the GFX100 it would be for the IBIS and phase detect AF (in stills) alone.

If they were serious about video they would have put a full size HDMI on it.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer/Director, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    While I think the GFX100S is really exciting technology, for video/digital cinema, I am not yet convinced that it's worth the expense, weight and form factor over just a S35 imager for 4K. I am open to being convinced, once it's shipping and some of the better testers can shoot it against say the Alexa Mini, C200, BMD UMP G2, etc. the proof will be in the footage...
    GFX50 and GFX100 are the opening salvo in the Medium Format arrival. They're not video cameras per se but hybrids with the stills retaining their primary purpose.

But one has to be aware of the trends. The next generation full frame models will - 99.99% probability - have Sony's 62 MPX sensor with its ~ 850mm2 area. Alexa LF is only slightly bigger at 937 but Alexa65 is 1384. GFX 50/100/Hassy1D sensor is 1452 and Phase One's IQ4 is 2136.

It's likely that an 8K professional high end camera will be coming out with a next generation MF sensor and it's likely to have a 1452 size - because Sony wants it that way. The video, however, will lag behind the stills for the obvious reasons.

The Medium Format has crept up while nobody was looking.

PS. A friend of mine was into photography since youth, so over the last few days I was reading up on the cameras that he had, which lead me to a bunch of the Russian language Wikipedia pages. The Soviets were copying American gear before WWII, then got the German tooling from Zeiss - Jena is in East Germany - and proceeded to copy everything German, including Rolleiflex and Contax. By the 1970's, they were also copying Hasselblad. It was build in Kiev and exported to the West, where it was called Hasselbladski because the look, if not the assembly quality, was identical. It also cost about half a year of an average Soviet worker's wages. Now, the vintage gear is available for practically peanuts.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeedigital View Post
    Agreed

If they were serious about video they would have put a full size HDMI on it.
    If they were serious about video they would have put 12G SDI on it. HDMI is a consumer abomination!
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

6. Collapse Details
    Fujifilm GFX100S will be announced later this month. Similar to GFX100, just a tad bit smaller than the GFX50S. Will include same sensor, IBIS (made to fit the smaller body), No battery grip. Price $5999 ($4K less than current GFX100). Same or similar video specs. And as we all know, the price of the original GFX100 will probably drop a few thousand dollars.

7. Collapse Details
    S will probably not have the 407 MPX pixel-shift mode.

But , if someone wants 407, save your pennies and giddy up.

8. Collapse Details
    It ought to be mentioned - again - that there are a lot of rumors of Canon's 75-90 MPX full frame camera. If the rumors are in the ballpark and it's priced at under $4,000, then Fuji's ability to get $10,000 for a 102 MPX GFX100 will disappear. As it is, Sony's 61 MPX A7RIV at $3,500 (was on sale for $3,000 during the holidays) has higher resolution than Fuji's 50 MPX GFX50S at $5,500. Should Canon release a competitor, the top of the line Fuji will have to either drastically cut its MAP or up the sensor to a three year old 150 MPX Sony product, currently found inside the very expensive Phase One line. Or wait for something new from Sony.

9. Collapse Details

10. Collapse Details
    I'd sell my GFX50s for that.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer/Director, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast