Thread: EVFs?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by KrocanX View Post
    I know, I meant Gratical Eye. It is SDI only.

Good advice, I will work on it. Which monitor do you have? I have Inferno, brightness is totaly fine but reflective screen is pain in the a**. Since I am really tall I usually have monitor lower than head and all I see is sky . I have ordered new 3000 nits Swit because I got super good deal for it so I will see if my GAS for EVF will fade away.
    As mentioned, the SmallHD 702 Bright. I've always found it bright enough for outdoor use, and a bit too bright for indoor use (just have to be careful about judging exposure off of it; I do use the viewfinder for exposure).

Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Re: Amira VF. I have a client with several Amira's and I've actually never been overly impressed with the VF image, either. And they've actually improved the VF optics since the original release, because of complaints. I remember looking through one at NAB right after the Amira release and thinking it was complete sh!t and how in the world could Arri make something like that. Even the new ones are not as good as the Zacuto Graticle, Sony OLED(100 or 200) or Panasonic OLED.
    Yeah, I was happy with the Alexa XT viewfinder (which I think sells for around $8k-$9k), but not so much the Amira one. I'm happy with the colors and image, it's just lacking in resolution (and size?) for easy focus pulling. Varicam LT viewfinder was pretty nice. Haven't used the F55, Gratical, or C700 viewfinder. I recall when originally looking to buy an Amira I was looking at the used market and wanted to make sure if I got one used that it'd come with the optical upgrade, but I ended up buying new and I believe all the new ones at the time came upgraded. I recently bought a second pretty heavily used Amira and haven't really done any testing with it yet, so hopefully the viewfinder has the optical upgrade.

With the C300, I don't even bother with the SmallHD 702 or a viewfinder, I find that little screen quite sufficient for my purposes. Only reason I'll sometimes setup a monitor is for the client. It's nice to be young and have good eye sight! Both of my parents needed glasses in their teens, but my older sister and I are both going strong without a need for glasses so far!
    Last edited by Eric Coughlin; 02-11-2019 at 11:08 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    There's also the Alphatron EVF. Sharp, decent color. It used to burn in badly from the sun if you didn't cap the diopter. Then they came up with a diopter element that prevents a lot of the burn risk, but old guys with lesser eye sight can't get it to focus. So there are some tradeoffs...but if you have young eyes, or use the lesser filtered diopter and exercise good sun discipline, it's worth a look.

I also was impressed with the early Graticle(except for the hefty price tag) but since I do a lot of dolly and low walking shots, having a viewfinder that can flip open was a bigger selling point for me.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by captslomo View Post
    There's also the Alphatron EVF. Sharp, decent color. It used to burn in badly from the sun if you didn't cap the diopter. Then they came up with a diopter element that prevents a lot of the burn risk, but old guys with lesser eye sight can't get it to focus. So there are some tradeoffs...but if you have young eyes, or use the lesser filtered diopter and exercise good sun discipline, it's worth a look.

I also was impressed with the early Graticle(except for the hefty price tag) but since I do a lot of dolly and low walking shots, having a viewfinder that can flip open was a bigger selling point for me.
    I wish all of our VF's had the flip-up diopter design to reveal direct view of the panel(why don't they build an OLED[3.5"] with flip-up diopter?) or the Amira style with a flip out panel so that you can see the image for quick high or low shots(especially for those of us that shoot a lot of sports related content).

I bought the Alphatron(built-in shutter) shortly after getting my original C300 and at the time, it was very good. But now, not so much. Especially if you've used something better. I had to break mine out last year when I sent my Graticle in for repair. I was shocked at how "bad" it was today. The image was much softer than my Graticle(or my Sony or my Panasonic LCD) and I had a hard time focusing and there is an annoying green reflection inside from the screen onto the back of the diopter. I was glad to get my Graticle back.

4. Collapse Details
    I have to say, I am not impressed AT ALL with the Sony LCD that is on my F55. Almost impossible to focus unless peaking is set at max. While I'm wrangling gear today, I might take a moment and hook one of the Alphatrons up and see if it's really the LCD, or the feed coming to it.

Out of curiosity, what are you using on your F55?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by captslomo View Post
    I have to say, I am not impressed AT ALL with the Sony LCD that is on my F55. Almost impossible to focus unless peaking is set at max. While I'm wrangling gear today, I might take a moment and hook one of the Alphatrons up and see if it's really the LCD, or the feed coming to it.

Out of curiosity, what are you using on your F55?
    I have the Sony OLED(original model) on mine. It can be a little dark sometimes(common complaint from most users) and the diopter adjustment ring was poorly designed(it has no tension), but otherwise the image is good. I wanted to buy the new model(200) that the Venice uses, but it’s still over $5K and then you have to buy a mounting and cable kit for it to work with the 55/5, because the 200 is a Lemo connector, so you are $6k in. If I could be out the door for ~$4K, I probably would have already done it.
    Last edited by Run&Gun; 02-13-2019 at 09:07 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Yep...I tried the Alphatron via SDI cable. Against the stock LCD with no peaking, night and day difference in favor of the Alphatron. With the LCD peaking turned all the way up to 99, the ability to see sharp focus came back to about 90% of the Alphatron, but at the cost of color and ability to quickly eyeball exposure.

OTOH, the easy access one touch mag button on the LCD is a nice tool.

7. Collapse Details
    One caution on the Alphatron- I could not get the image in focus for my aged eyesight. The range of adjustment on the Alphatron diopter is limited compared to most other diopters. And there is no way to swap out the diopter or add another element of magnification to it. That part of the Alphatron is sealed with no means of getting to it without busting the thing apart. I didn't realize this until I found myself on set. I had to get creative and remove a plastic lens from my reading glasses and, as best I could, wedge the lens from my eyeglasses under the rubber eyepiece. That solved things enough to operate. But for the entire day I'm having to look at my phone with a pair of reading glasses that is missing a lens, much to the amusement of my Sound guy. I got him back by removing the shotgun mic from his blimp when he went to take a leak and thoroughly enjoying watching him being befuddled, turning knobs and flipping switches as he tried to figure out why he wasn't hearing his boom.
    Big sources matter.

8. Collapse Details
    You scamp, you! It's rude to make the audio guy get up out of his chair.

What I had to do with all my Alphatrons after they introduced the super anti-burn film on the front diopter glass was contact the company and get one of the old "2 second burn protection" diopters. The high protection diopter for me meant the focus adjustment tube would have had to telescope out another couple inches or so. It's a known problem for them, and they seemed happy to send out old-guy replacement glass.

However; you do have to disassemble the EVF iris-capping system, and then take apart the bracket that holds the glass in place to do the switch, which involves a number of tiny little soft screws; so you need a clean work surface, lots of patience, and an electron miscroscope to find the screws once they've bounced across the table a time or two.

It can be done, but it's not for the faint of heart.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12