Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Dark Hexagonal Spots (not lens flare)
    Can anybody help me understand what might be causing several dark spots to show up in my HPX170 footage? They are especially pronounce in bright shot. They look hexagonal in shape, like they're are somehow related to the iris, but they aren't lens flare. Any thoughts? They are driving me crazy!

https://vimeo.com/315110646
    www.philadelphiaphilms.com
    HPX170, Letus Extreme, Manfrotto tripod, Nikon Primes, Oktava Mics, Adobe CS4, Arri Softbank light kit

2. Collapse Details
    Looks like dust particles in the image path. Could just be on the front element, but otherwise may be on the sensor, an interior lens element, or on an internal ND filter. You don't say but I assume this is on your HPX170 camera. If it's not dust on the front element you may have to have the camera sent in for cleaning.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    Looks like dust particles in the image path. Could just be on the front element, but otherwise may be on the sensor, an interior lens element, or on an internal ND filter. You don't say but I assume this is on your HPX170 camera. If it's not dust on the front element you may have to have the camera sent in for cleaning.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I was worried I was going to need to get it serviced. I assume I can't do this myself? I have never sent my camera away to get cleaned. Seems like a pain and probably expensive to do for an "old" camera. Do you know if I can take it to a local electronic repair place, or does it need to be a Panasonic place?
    HPX170, Letus Extreme, Manfrotto tripod, Nikon Primes, Oktava Mics, Adobe CS4, Arri Softbank light kit

4. Collapse Details
    I have no idea if any local shop could handle it, and they almost certainly would not be able to get the backfocus reset on the lens once it was reassembled. This would need to be done electronically, and for that you need Panasonic knowledge and possibly specialized tools. I honestly don't know the details of what can and cannot be done by outside entities.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager

5. Collapse Details
    I'm going to guess you see these when shooting F/16-22.
    See if it clears up by adding ND and shooting your day ext's at F/4-5.6
    Bill Totolo
    L.A.

www.billtotolo.com

6. Collapse Details
    Nevermind... I think the spots may be the result of some inner element in my letus 35mm adapter... maybe on the mirror...

7. Collapse Details
    I had trouble posting the pics here in this forum, but here is a tweet with the photos which I think shows the issue in the Letus 35mm adapter

https://twitter.com/DigPhysics/statu...49883946508288

8. Collapse Details
    Didn't realize you were using an optical adapter. Odds are very high that the issue is in there somewhere. Pretty hard for stuff to get inside the camera.

Time to move into 2019 and consider some new camera gear! Can I interest you in an EVA1? It will be like lifting a veil from your eyes.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    I know, I'm old fashion, like in the unhip 2007 kind of way... Nobody likes my setup, but I still feel like shooting at 720, 24p, on a 3 CCD camera, with some old Nikons going through a lens adapter is somehow the best way to get an old film look without actually shooting on film... and that's the look I love, even though soft shots aren't in vogue in the 16K world in which we live. Plus new equipment is expensive, and independent filmmaking does not pay the bills, so I got to really believe the old adage that craft > tools. Speaking of filmmaking not paying the bills, I decided to give away 100 minutes of cinematic art on Amazon Prime, just to get some people to watch and review my feature, so if you want to see "Pi meets Napoleon Dynamite", check out "Digital Physics" while it's still free on Prime... And see if you can spot those horrible dark spots in one or two shots!

10. Collapse Details
    Nice! Still kickin it old school. I still have an HVX200 and an M2e adapter. Got some Rokinon cinema lenses, looks great. Keep using that cam till it don’t work no more. That might take awhile. And yes, indie filmmaking does not pay the bills. I shot an indie feature 10 years ago on an HVX with the older M2 adapter. Still unseen by the public. Although, I just recently was contacted by an American producer who bought it and looks like he is going to finish the edit and release it. Will wonders never cease.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast