Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    How about the NVME m.2 SSDs? Like the 970 Evo (vs Pro)?

I have an Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard from 2012 (Sandy Bridge Extreme 6 core cpu, 2012) and it has PCI-E 3.0 x4 slots free, I believe i just need an M2 adaptor, and these will get ~3000mb/s yes?

Will editing 4K media and/or large projects from an SSD make Premiere Pro much snappier then?

Should I prioritize scratch disks, or media storage drives, first?

2. Collapse Details
    Just going to dump on one more question: most SSD tests I see focus on playing back media, but they don't focus on running a project with 500gb of h.264 footage in it for example, and bouncing around a 12 minute timeline with 350 clips from 50+ hours of footage. THAT Is what I am curious about in terms of performance if I replace my *MEDIA* drive with a 2TB SSD for my most active/taxing project (leaving smaller or ancillary projects on traditional HDD).

It does seem it's pretty much a given that i should spend $150 (or as I like to call it, ~$90 factoring in taxes) for a 1TB media cache/scratch disk SSD (right now i have this on a dedicated HDD). The real question is should I spend $415 on a 2TB nvme m.2 PCI-E SSD for 3000mb/s read-write to speed up large project editing, as well as working with 4K media.

My current project file/media HDDs are fast, quality HGST or WD Black drives.

3. Collapse Details
    Scratch disk should be NVMe whenever possible, they are that much faster than SATA drives. As far as what's best for other uses, I'll not get into that because it depends so much on the uses and size of the material.

Just watch out for some of the 3D types of SSD, The TLC type slow with % capacity used and may be more "fragile" than things like MLC. I'd need to research again to set my mind straight before explaining more. In short, not all SSD are made the same, and generally prices will reflect this. Tons of talk about this on the FreeNAS forums, as well as the differing layouts of spinning drives and which types are best to use.

4. Collapse Details
    Yeah the nvme m.2 are wayyyyy faster than SATA SSD.
    As far as the question earlier about SSD for media drives over HDD...yes.
    When I changed my main 7200RPM SATA HDD for SATA SSD my stuttering 4k playback problem stopped. For my desktop I'm now using SSD for both media drives, cache and system.

In my laptop which is several years newer than my desktop, I'm using SSD for system drive and M.2 PCIe NVMe for both media drives (Samsung 970).
    On the Samsung SSD you can run their software (magician??) and it allows for max speed.

Not to derail the thread but I have been wondering something.
    In my old desktop it's config'd like this
    c:> SSD system and programs
    L:> 4TB SSD media
    M:> 4TB SSD export
    N:> 8TB 7200RPM HDD archive
    I also use the SSD drives for scratch and cache

I don't edit from the N:> but will it slow down my system somehow?

5. Collapse Details
    What is referred to as 'scratch disk' when working wit DaVinci Resolve?

6. Collapse Details
    Alright, ready to order my drives soon. I want to loop back with one question.

From what I can tell online (and this could be off), it seems that I'll hit a CPU bottleneck (or practical usefulness given data rates of files I'm using) using M.2 NVME drives in Premiere, making their theoretical speed caps pointless. It's doubtful I need 2000mb/s for a *media* drive. Is that right? If so, it would be a whole lot more affordable for a 2TB 860 EVO for $300 as a media/project drive than $500 (well, when on sale - currently $550-$600) for a 2TB M.2 NvME drive. Thoughts on media drive on a standard SSD?

For MediaCache & Scratch, I can't find much, but it seems the extra speed of NvMe with all the small files, etc. might be more beneficial?

So I am thinking of doing:

MediaCache / Scratch
    Samsung 1TB 970 EVO for $250 + $20 Lycom adapter card
    (I don't have m.2 slots so need to adapt to existing PCI-E) for the Media Cache.

Active Project Media / Premiere Project Files
    2TB 860 Evo for $300
    (Use for the project media on the project I am most heavily currently working on.)

Thoughts?

7. Collapse Details
    Cache might be fine at double the size of the RAM, depends on how much material is rendered into cache during a session. Might save a bunch of money on a smaller cache drive.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks Greg. I was thinking Cache AND Scratch on the nvme drive (preview files, render, audio conforms), so a little extra size might be good. My setup would be:

Larger 2-4TB SATA SSD (Source Footage):
    - Source Video Files from Camera
    - Project Assets like graphics, logos, music files, etc.

Smaller 1TB NVMe SSD (MediaCache/Scratch):
    - AutoSave Directory
    - Audio Previews
    - Video Previews
    - MediaCache

Also, as for my actual ".prproj" singular Premiere project files - better on an nvme drive (with all of the scratch/cache content), or better on the SATA SSD (same drive as media assets/source files)?

I'm also thinking, perhaps I should go for a 4TB SATA SSD for the larger media drive.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Alright, ready to order my drives soon. I want to loop back with one question.

From what I can tell online (and this could be off), it seems that I'll hit a CPU bottleneck (or practical usefulness given data rates of files I'm using) using M.2 NVME drives in Premiere, making their theoretical speed caps pointless. It's doubtful I need 2000mb/s for a *media* drive. Is that right? If so, it would be a whole lot more affordable for a 2TB 860 EVO for $300 as a media/project drive than $500 (well, when on sale - currently $550-$600) for a 2TB M.2 NvME drive. Thoughts on media drive on a standard SSD?

For MediaCache & Scratch, I can't find much, but it seems the extra speed of NvMe with all the small files, etc. might be more beneficial?

So I am thinking of doing:

MediaCache / Scratch
    Samsung 1TB 970 EVO for $250 + $20 Lycom adapter card
    (I don't have m.2 slots so need to adapt to existing PCI-E) for the Media Cache.

Active Project Media / Premiere Project Files
    2TB 860 Evo for $300
    (Use for the project media on the project I am most heavily currently working on.)

Thoughts?
    Yes, with H264 files you are typically going to run into CPU bottlenecks before running into drive bottlenecks once you are in the realm of comparing fast SSD's and m.2 drives. Comparing them to HDD's is another story. They can indeed be the bottleneck even with the best HDD, unless we are talking about Raid arrays.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a QNap. The new TVS-872xt with 8 spinning drives in a raid 6. Just arrived yesterday, so I'm not up and running yet, but I'm done with the process of needing to transfer "working" projects to and from a fast ssd. I have a lot of clients in rotation with projects being revisited. I can't deal with shuffling around 800GB projects all the time. And I am also over having stacks of indiividual external drives, docks, etc.

I will have SSD for OS, NVME for cache, and all media will be on the QNAP moving forward with Raid 6 protection and then another cheaper (slower) raid unit for backup.

apologies in advance for a post that that answers questions that were never asked. ; )

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post
    Yes, with H264 files you are typically going to run into CPU bottlenecks before running into drive bottlenecks once you are in the realm of comparing fast SSD's and m.2 drives. Comparing them to HDD's is another story. They can indeed be the bottleneck even with the best HDD, unless we are talking about Raid arrays.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a QNap. The new TVS-872xt with 8 spinning drives in a raid 6. Just arrived yesterday, so I'm not up and running yet, but I'm done with the process of needing to transfer "working" projects to and from a fast ssd. I have a lot of clients in rotation with projects being revisited. I can't deal with shuffling around 800GB projects all the time. And I am also over having stacks of indiividual external drives, docks, etc.

I will have SSD for OS, NVME for cache, and all media will be on the QNAP moving forward with Raid 6 protection and then another cheaper (slower) raid unit for backup.

apologies in advance for a post that that answers questions that were never asked. ; )
    That's the kind of setup I would normally suggest.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast