Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    I would be inclined to add an inexpensive 10GB switch to the mix vs. direct connect.
    As a solo op... Why?

Why not just buy a switch if/when I get a 2nd workstation to invite a sub-contractor over to work?

2. Collapse Details
    Just because you only have a single machine with 10gb connections, doesn't mean that you won't have a machine with a 1gb connection that you really decide you want to access the storage. As long as the switch can work with 10gb/1gb/100/10 ports, you can connect a laptop and benefit from the storage, or connect to your wireless system to get to it from the wifi. Having it attached to a single computer is a drag, I know you have more than one, even if it is a cheapo tablet or phone, sooner or later you will want to play something or move a file to it and not want to fire up the big computer.

https://nascompares.com/2018/01/19/c...0gbe-switches/

3. Collapse Details
    You can still connect to other computers... 10gb from the QNAP straight to the desktop via the PCIe card.

My desktop is connected via 1gb to the current 1gb switch, and the QNAP has another network port on 1gb that can be sent to the switch. So it's all connected - just the Desktop Workstation is the only computer with 10gb access, which is all I need.

... Right? Or am I missing something?

4. Collapse Details
    OK, didn't know about the 1GB port on the NAS. SO yes it should work fine if they did the OS properly.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345