Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    So you can lose the paper and have to buy another one. ;)
    Wouldn't surprise me... Lol

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Probably the result of someone's idea on fraud prevention.
    That was a thought that crossed my mind. If they were really that worried about that, they could have probably devised some system to make you hook the camera up to your computer and do it on-line with the camera attached for verification and software/firmware DL's.

3. Collapse Details
    They did have that mishap with the workaround for getting vlog for free on the GH4 so I guess this is their response to that. I picked up a used S1 kit and hate that I can't use it to it's full potential until the SFU2 becomes available from retailers.
    Last edited by homerc67; 08-13-2019 at 04:53 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by homerc67 View Post
    They did have that mishap with the workaround for getting vlog for free on the GH4 so I guess this is their response to that.
    They used the same printed update code approach with the GH4 and GH5 (the DMW-SFU1 key code actually works for either camera). The free V-LOG for the GH4 was just due to a mistake in verification when using the mobile app if I remember correctly. But that was quickly fixed in the next GH4 firmware update:
    https://nofilmschool.com/2015/09/v-l...re-imaging-app

Panasonic seems to like this printed and mailed update code approach for some reason. The thing I can't figure out is why they seem to have so much trouble with availability of the update codes and keeping them in stock.

I can kind of understand issues with manufacturing delays for a complex product like camera that has a lot of different components, sourced from different suppliers, all of which can have an impact on production speed. But if you are just printing a bunch of codes and sending them out, it's kind of hard to understand the reason for the supply issues. Especially since Panasonic should have some idea of how many cameras they have sold and how many of the update codes they'd need for the early buyers.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    It also seems like a waste of money and resources. The paper, printing, packaging and shipping/mailing all have real, tangible costs that add up, and even more so if they're going through a dealer/retailer on the way to the end-user. Doing it "electronically" still isn't free, but it's less expensive, more efficient and should provide the customer with the code instantaneously with no "supply" issues(we're out, they're on back order, etc.).

6. Collapse Details
    The other guess is that the electronic form payments would go directly to the manufacturer while the paper-rock-scissors (or whatever this clandestine operation is called) will go to the retailer first as a reward for selling the key and the camera. And then you need the paper form sent out to each licensed retailer. While skipping the unlicensed ones.

7. Collapse Details
    This is purely so retailers like B&H can sell it. A retailer has to have a physical product in stock with a sku they can list, sell and deliver to customers. B&H and other retailers have no infrastructure in place to sell digital goods. B&H and other retailers need to buy stock of the product from Panasonic to keep in inventory. Can't really have inventory for a digital product so it messes up the entire business model.

While Panasonic could sell this online themselves they likely would prefer to distribute through retailers like they do all their other products.

I work on the ecommerce site/mobile app at my current job and it would be an absolute nightmare to suddenly develop the infrastructure to sell and license an online digital product. Much easier to just treat it as a physical sku.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    B&H and other retailers have no infrastructure in place to sell digital goods.
    It's AD 2019 for crying out loud!
    Last edited by Cary Knoop; 08-13-2019 at 10:02 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    Yes and if there were other digital goods to sell then perhaps they would do it but they are not going to add that capability for one measly product that not many people buy.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    Yep. My latest version of QuickBooks I bought digitally from Amazon. And it was cheaper than buying digitally directly from QB, to boot.

This is 2019, the age of Amazon 2 hour delivery... To your locked car, even. I’m actually taken aback when a merchant doesn’t offer free two-day shipping. Or at least inexpensive two-day shipping. It actually pisses me off when I have to pay for shipping and they use the slow-ass US Postal Service instead of UPS or FedEx that would be as cheap or cheaper and I would get my purchase delivery guaranteed, instead of ‘whenever it gets here’.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465 LastLast