Page 15 of 65 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Very impressive high ISO performance on the S1...This camera is looking interesting, especially with the price so close to the GH5S

2. Collapse Details
    Thanks for posting. Nice to see the S1 doing well in the ISO test but I think he should match DOF to get a true apples to apples sensor comparison. F4 on a FF is a lot shallower than F4 on a M4/3rds. Not really fair for the GH series. F8 on the S1 with the GH at F4 would be a more equal comparison imho.

3. Collapse Details
    That's a good point bassman. I think in general though we could say the S1 is about equal with the GH5s in ISO performance?

In any case, it's a GH5s with IBIS! Woot.

The S1 displays more detail in the bricks, and from all the footage I've seen looks more natural and less artificially sharpened. Great. When 10-bit vlog is out, it's full vlog, should be at least +1 extra stop of DR if not 2. Also great.

The S1 price is the same price the GH5s launched at, so if you already down full frame glass and aren't focused on AF then this is overall a solid deal once more l-mount adapters are available (Sigma has said they are making an EF to L mount adaptor so I suspect we'll see this before or right around launch of the camera).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    I asked Griffin to re-run the test in the comment section. I hope he does.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Chris I didn’t see specs for the paid key codec specs?
    Interesting to see that these new FF cameras will have full V-Log not V-Log L. Apparently the upgrade is a follows:

"Eventually, the S1 will support 4:2:2 10-bit 4K/30p internal recording and 4:2:2 10-bit 4K/60p external — but not at launch. When Panasonic does release those features, users will have to pay an additional fee on top of the camera’s initial cost to access them. Same goes for V-Log, which is also absent from the S1 when it ships. (These options won’t be available on the S1R period.)"

Chris Young

EDIT: The latest I've found on the paid upgrade for the S1:

Along with the upgrade to 4:2:2 10-bit, a V-Log profile will be added, too. The following shooting modes will be enabled with that upgrade:

4:2:2 10-bit (internal)
    MP4 4K 25/30p 150Mbps (4:2:2 10-bit, Long-GOP, LPCM)
    MP4 4K 24p 150Mbps (4:2:2 10-bit, Long-GOP, LPCM)
    MP4 FHD 50/60p 100Mbps (4:2:2 10-bit, Long-GOP, LPCM)
    MP4 FHD 25/30p 100Mbps (4:2:2 10-bit, Long-GOP, LPCM)
    MP4 FHD 24p 100Mbps (4:2:2 10-bit, Long-GOP, LPCM)
    V-Log profile
    4K 50/60p 4:2:2 10-bit HDMI output
    Last edited by cyvideo; 02-04-2019 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Additional info

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by marvinhello View Post
    MP4 is a container, not codec. You meant no HLG in H.264 codec. Which is the way it should be. As BT.2100 HLG spec stipulates HEVC codec in either 10bit or 12bit.
    100% Agreed MH. I stand corrected.

Chris Young

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Chris I didnít see specs for the paid key codec specs?
    I updated my post, #145, with the latest upgrade info I've found for the S1

Chris Young

8. Collapse Details
    No C4K in the paid upgrade? or is the 4K option, true 4K or is it UHD?

I don't have any issues with being charged extra for features, I sort of think its a good way to keep the entry price point lower and then extend the life of the camera longer (like the FS5/FS7). Heck, think of the money to be made if they offered a $1000 option for the GH5 for HDMI RAW output...

But the way Panasonic have handled the S1 launch specs so far is really bad, the future upgrade info wasn't clear cut from the beginning (needing people to dig and clarify points). There are rumours of potentially / maybe ProResRAW coming (but it's all hearsay with conflicting reports saying yes / no) - but if there is any rumour to it, you would think Panasonic would be at the forefront of that, saying yes its coming, to stop people jumping to the Z6.
    Rich
    -
    Underwater BMPCC4K and Lumix GH5/Atomos User

9. Collapse Details
    I get tired of spraying out pre-production cameras to reviewers for a couple of hours with a large disclaimer about not judging the camera because it is not finished. Seems like a big game.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrickster View Post
    But the way Panasonic have handled the S1 launch specs so far is really bad, the future upgrade info wasn't clear cut from the beginning.
    I think it's a work in progress, so Panasonic may not know for sure what is possible with this new platform at this point in time. ( and then there is the issue of how does all of this fit into the Panasonic ecosystem )

Page 15 of 65 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast