Page 1 of 65 123451151 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Panasonic S1 / S1R Official Announcement (Jan 31/Feb 1)
    Starting a new thread (as the previous one was a rumor thread regarding a "FF mirrorless")

Tomorrow's the S1 / S1R announcement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjw60CbTSBk with pre-orders going live Feb 1st.

As excited as I am for the potential of this camera, does anyone else find the teaser "trailer" incredibly ironic. "Without Compromise!" --> *insert worst teaser trailer ever*. It's shocking to me how such a large company, with such an important launch (the kickstart of their FF entry and L-mount alliance) releases a 10 second, audio-free video of 1990s text effects as their hype up. Cool.

Anyway, very much looking forward to the announcement (we may not see anything official until Friday Feb 1st here).

Really hoping for a disappointment-free announcement - baseline expecting GH5 everything (codecs, features, etc.), but with the benefits of a FF sensor (improved lowlight / DR), and the absence of digital imaging artifacts (artificial sharpening, etc.) for a more organic image. Baseline.

Strongly hoping that they keep par with BMD and 2 years since GH5 launch and come out swinging with 10-bit 4K/60p and allow for RAW output like Nikon's mirrorless/BMD.

Maybe somewhere in between? As long as they don't pull 8-bit 4K, compromise slow motion, or have some janky image quality this should be a pretty sure fire hit. Also hoping they announce some video-centric accessories such as an audio unit (or even better - compatibility with the existing GH5/5S hot shoe audio unit).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    The video is on the rumors company's YT channel...did Panasonic make it?

Either way, it's just a simple bit for social media. I used to make hundreds of these a year...no purpose really but just to keep people aware, keep traffic moving.

I'm sure a better video is coming tomorrow.

EDIT: I see it's "official".

3. Collapse Details
    Another lens mount? Ugh, just what the world needs, there aren't enough already. I don't blame Panasonic, they will want the income rather than giving it to Canon, Sigma, etc. but ANOTHER mount system? We already have the new Canon RF mount which may eventually outdate the EF/EF-S mount, plus PL, XF, E-Mount, F-Mount, M43, C- Mount, etc.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    It's the pre-existing Leica L-mount. Yeah, I wish there was a universal standard, but there's not - and at least this one has been around for awhile.

5. Collapse Details
    Someone must have mentioned it before, but I think this mount is going to make this system unnecessarily expensive.

Currently you don't have any reasonably priced options from Leica that would cover the full-frame. (Maybe the new lenses that will be announced won't be too expensive.)

There are some cheaper [manual] options...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...f_2_4_for.html

...but still cannot see any reason at all why this mount was chosen besides for the opportunistic continuation of a business partnership.

(I know there are adapters you can use with existing glass, but any improvements in Panasonic's AF may be lost.)

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    GH5, Sony FDR-X3000,Nikon P1000 , a6300 , NX1 , GH4 , Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f/2.8-4 , Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH Power OIS , Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 ,Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 75 mm f/1.8 ED , 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS , Sony A7r , FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS , Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA ,Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA , 28-70mm FE OSS, 15mm F2.8 , 24mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4

7. Collapse Details
    I can't keep up.

Lighting announcements>camera announcements.

8. Collapse Details
    Didn't Panasonic say that this was geared toward photographers and that film makers should stick with the GH line? I was actually excited u till I read that because it means they'll be omitting something to keep the GH line alive (like 4k 60p or vlog).

9. Collapse Details
    Unfortunately (for them) and fortunately (for us), they now have to include everything and the kitchen sink in this camera for that price because of the GH cameras.

We all have a good time on the forums chit-chatting, but professional photographers (a Canon dominated industry) will not drop their cameras overnight.

It took Sony at least half a decade (in my opinion based on the last several years in which they really went after it with their technology/camera releases) to take the #2 spot over from Nikon.

Panasonic - a company who has never released a full-frame camera to the general public - has one of the most difficult climbs yet.

___

And there are two versions - 47MP and 24MP - in which the higher MP version may offer more on the photo side vs. the lower one which may cater more to videographers (similar to how the Z6 and Z7 are even though the specs are very similar).

We'll know soon...and those MPs are just rumors for now.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Someone must have mentioned it before, but I think this mount is going to make this system unnecessarily expensive.
    Sigma has stated that they will essentially be bringing all of their existing glass to the L mount natively, and they make some very reasonably priced glass that punches well above its price range. As well, they mentioned developing additional, new, mirrorless glass specifically for the platform. They will also be making L-Mount bodies, which should be interesting. Panasonic planned to have a substantial amount of native glass produced themselves by the end of 2020 as well.

But yes. options are limited right at launch outside of adapters. Platforms take time to build, but I think in the medium (~2 years) to long term it should be a pretty well rounded platform. For high end pros, another platform with a variety of bodies that utilize Leica's glass is a very good thing. For the rest of the market, Sigma glass is superb, and Panasonic glass and adapters should hopefully round things out nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggerpro View Post
    Didn't Panasonic say that this was geared toward photographers and that film makers should stick with the GH line? I was actually excited u till I read that because it means they'll be omitting something to keep the GH line alive (like 4k 60p or vlog).
    Might have missed that. I don't remember that though. Any source? What I do remember is them stating that the S1R would be focused on photographers (resolution), with the S1 being a video focused camera (lower resolution, more sensitivity).

Page 1 of 65 123451151 ... LastLast