Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    We are actively working with 3rd party manufacturers to offer controls and accessories for this camera.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

2. Collapse Details
    Thank you for the quick response Mitch. I have faith Panasonic will come to a solid resolution. The Image Stabilization on the PX270 took about nine months after release to really work properly, so I know this often comes with the territory.

If I could respectfully ask for an attempt to make existing controllers that many of us own with the Panasonic/LANC switch work with the camera. Manfrotto, Libec etc... They are nice controllers that were at least $150 each. They "sort of" work now and maybe with some effort they can work well. Thank you.

3. Collapse Details
    The Manfrotto MVR901EPLA remote is capable of controlling zoom, focus, and iris on the CX350. It's the first remote I've found so far that can control iris on the camera as well as zoom and focus:
    https://www.manfrotto.us/pan-bar-rem...cameras-w-lanc

This remote includes a dial for adjusting the maximum zoom speed (the zoom rocker is still variable speed, up to the maximum speed set on the dial). Unfortunately though, you can't really control zoom and focus simultaneously. Since there is a switch on the side that sets whether the rocker controls zoom or focus, it's either one or the other at a time. Also the manual/autofocus button doesn't do anything (I think because the camera doesn't respond to this command).

The form factor is an integrated pan bar, so unless you are using a Manfrotto pan/tilt head, the rosette and screw size likely won't match, and you need a separate adapter piece that lets you clamp it to your tripod's built-in pan bar. It would be nice if Manfrotto offered an equivalent remote without the integrated pan bar. Because while they do make a similar standalone clamp-on device (MVR901ECLA), it has fewer features and does not include the iris control buttons.

4. Collapse Details
    Dave, have you tried this remote with the camera?

In my experience, the separate iris/focus controller that Varizoom makes for the Panasonic two plug system is the best way for live event usage. Having all of the controls only on one controller is just too much to do with your thumb which is very often engaged with zooming. I have the opinion many just do not get it. Shooting in a dark theater or being 22x telephoto on a speaker you do not have the luxury of fiddling around. I hope things turn positive in this regard for the CX350.

5. Collapse Details
    Yes, I have used that remote with the camera, although I have yet to shoot a live event using it, mostly due to the LANC zoom speed issue (which is really a camera problem rather than a remote problem).

I agree that having a separate zoom and focus controllers is the way to go. Still, this is probably the best remote I've found for the camera so far since it has iris control and can control focus with the rocker (rather than push buttons which most LANC remotes seem to have for focus control).

With two of the remotes, you could have one set to control zoom and a second one set to control focus. The problem of course is that the camera only has one LANC port. Manfrotto used to make a LANC splitter adapter that multiplexed the commands from two separate remotes to a single camera, but sadly it has been discontinued:
    http://www.manfrotto.com.br/remote-c...itter-box.html

I'm actually a little surprised that no one else makes a similar product as it could be used with LANC compatible cameras from Sony and Canon as well.

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your reply. So in effect, it does not work with the camera. (due to the zoom issues). It all or nothing to me. Hopefully splitters can work or new products are in the works that are not all on one piece of hardware. To be honest, I see this setup for filmmakers, not video folks so much.

7. Collapse Details
    I wouldn't say the remote is useless exactly. Since you can limit the maximum zoom speed with the dial, if you set the limit fairly low it to the slower zoom speeds you can avoid the jumpiness of the transition to the faster zoom speeds. The slower speeds are probably more useful for a lot of live zooms anyway with the fastest speeds better for re-framing. The fastest zoom speed available via LANC remotes is actually faster than the fastest speed available with the zoom rocker.

Ideally these kinds of workarounds wouldn't be necessary. It would be better if Panasonic just fixed the LANC implementation on the camera.

I've tried several different LANC zoom remotes from different manufacturers at this point and all of them exhibit the same issue. These same remotes work smoothly with Sony and Canon camcorders I have tried them with. It's pretty clearly an issue with how the camera is responding to the different LANC zoom speed commands, as I discovered when I sent each LANC zoom command to the camera individually. You can also see this pretty clearly by adjusting the zoom speed limit dial on the Manfrotto remote. For example if you set the zoom speed limit to about 50% (which presumably limits things to speeds 1-4), at the maximum extent of the zoom rocker it zooms about as fast as if the zoom speed limit is set to 100%. So zoom speed 4 is almost as fast as zoom speed 8, which is why things seem jumpy with full range zoom remotes.

The frustrating thing is that it really doesn't seem like this problem should be that hard to fix. Just requires the camera to map the LANC zoom speeds more evenly across the range of zoom motor drive speeds. New zoom remotes aren't even needed to have a workable solution. Just a camera firmware update and a LANC serial multiplexer to allow two remotes to share a single port.

8. Collapse Details
    I agree and thanks for the follow up. Lets hope things improve.

9. Collapse Details
    Hello Everybody,
    just seen this tread and please note that there is a much better Cam-remote for Panasonic and Canon/Sony available! Solving all mentioned problems! It is also a wireless version for sale.
    Please look at:
    http://digipin13.hr/en/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdZs3xLuyYU
    I know, in the US it is not really known, because it comes from Europe... :-)
    I use the DigiPin PaRe for my AGX200 and it works perfect. Much better than my VariZoom...
    Hopefully this helps a bit.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Hello Everybody,
    just seen this tread and please note that there is a much better Cam-remote for Panasonic and Canon/Sony available! Solving all mentioned problems! It is also a wireless version for sale.
    Please look at:
    http://digipin13.hr/en/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdZs3xLuyYU
    I know, in the US it is not really known, because it comes from Europe... :-)
    I use the DigiPin PaRe for my AGX200 and it works perfect. Much better than my VariZoom...
    Hopefully this helps a bit.
    I believe the unit you linked to in the YouTube video is for other Panasonic cameras that have two input jacks for remote controllers. The CX350 utilizes a modified LANC protocol on a single plug. Do you have a product for that?
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast