Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by sewolla View Post
    The topic of wired remotes is something that I spent some time on with a Panasonic engineer at NAB. This engineer said that yes, you can in fact use a LANC controller with the CX350. With that assurance from him, I placed an order for one, along with a Varizoom VZ Rock PZFII for Canon. Better cancel the order for that Varizoom.
    I really need that ability as much of my work is done with cranes, etc. and I need the ability to control iris, etc. in those situations.
    The VariZoom VZ-Rock and VZ-Stealth (the LANC versions, not the Panasonic versions) do work with the CX350 and can remotely control zoom, focus, and start/stop recording. The only thing that isn't possible with these remotes is iris control.

As far as I know, the only way to remotely control iris on the camera currently is using the app.

2. Collapse Details
    Texas Media Systems has the VZ-Rock listed as an accessory for the CX350.

https://shop.texasmediasystems.com/P...er_p_7283.html

3. Collapse Details
    As a side note - I plugged a LANC VZ-Rock into my CX350 and while it controlled the zoom, it did not control it well. You could creep but there was a large gap missing to faster zooming. So it jumped from very show to fast. Not anything I would want to use during recording. Hence my reasons for dismay.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    As a side note - I plugged a LANC VZ-Rock into my CX350 and while it controlled the zoom, it did not control it well. You could creep but there was a large gap missing to faster zooming. So it jumped from very show to fast. Not anything I would want to use during recording. Hence my reasons for dismay.
    My experience is similar. This seems to be due to how the camera is responding to the LANC commands issued by the remote.

LANC is a digital protocol, and the LANC remote sends various commands (zoom, start recording, etc.) to the camera. There are 8 different zoom speed commands (or actually 16, 8 for zoom in and 8 for zoom out) that are used in the LANC protocol (http://www.boehmel.de/lanc):
    • 2800 - Zoom In speed 1 (slowest)
    • 2802 - Zoom In speed 2
    • 2804 - Zoom In speed 3
    • 2806 - Zoom In speed 4
    • 2808 - Zoom In speed 5
    • 280A - Zoom In speed 6
    • 280C - Zoom In speed 7
    • 280E - Zoom In speed 8 (fastest)

It seems like the VariZoom VZ-Rock maps these commands fairly evenly across the range of the zoom rocker (so 2800, the slowest zoom speed, is sent near the middle of the zoom rocker and 280E, the fastest zoom speed is sent when pressing the zoom rocker all the way down to the right). The problem seems to be that the middle zoom speeds in particular are too fast relative to the slowest zoom speeds.

Zoom speeds 1 and 2 (2800 and 2802) are very slow and allow for nice gradual zooms. But zoom speed 3 (2804) is significantly faster than zoom speed 2 (2802). And overall, there doesn't seem to be nearly enough variation in the middle of the zoom range. In particular speeds 3-6 all seem pretty similar in terms of zoom speed.

Other LANC cameras I have tried seem to have a much more even progression of zoom speed across the various zoom commands, which leads to a more gradual ramping of speed via the zoom controller. So it's not really the zoom controller that is at fault here. And Panasonic seems to have implemented the most common LANC commands with regard to zoom speed, it's just the mapping of commands to the actual zoom motor speeds that needs some tweaking.

Given, this information, I am hopeful that this is something that could be addressed via a firmware update. Similar to how Panasonic changed how the camera zoom servo responded to changes in the zoom ring, it seems like they could do something similar with how the camera responds to LANC commands from an external zoom controller.

5. Collapse Details
    I agree. This is not a Varizoom issue. I hope Panasonic will address this as it seems to have been forgotten about upon release of the camera. In this state the camera in unusable in a professional environment.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by davedv View Post
    The problem seems to be that the middle zoom speeds in particular are too fast relative to the slowest zoom speeds.
    I use the VariZoom VZ-ROCK as well on the DVX200 and also experienced the jump in speed that you mention. The problem exists in the primary zoom lever on the camera as well. It's difficult to transition between speeds or ease into or out of a zoom.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kre57 View Post
    I use the VariZoom VZ-ROCK as well on the DVX200 and also experienced the jump in speed that you mention. The problem exists in the primary zoom lever on the camera as well. It's difficult to transition between speeds or ease into or out of a zoom.
    The Panasonic version of the VariZoom VZ-Rock (the VZ-Rock DVX or PZFI that uses two connectors) uses a totally different mechanism from the LANC version. The original Panasonic zoom controller uses a simple variable resistor, allowing in principle for continuous range of different zoom speeds depending on the current resistance of the zoom controller. There's some more description of how these older Panasonic zoom remotes worked in this PDF: http://www.beyondmonochrome.co.uk/ma...les/remote.pdf

The key point about the old Panasonic zoom controllers, is that since its not a digital protocol like LANC is, there aren't the 8 discrete zoom speed commands.

Now, of course it's still up to the camera to drive the zoom motor in a reasonable way in response to what is being read from the zoom controller input. So if the DVX200 has similar issues to the newer CX350 in this area, that further points to the camera's handling of the lens zoom servo as the likely cause of this behavior.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    One other interesting thing about the LANC implementation on the CX350. It seems that the camera does actually respond to the LANC iris more open (code 2855) and iris more closed (code 2853) commands mentioned in the protocol description here: http://www.boehmel.de/lanc

Curiously, the camera seems to implement these commands backwards from what is described on that page (so the iris open command actually closes the shutter slightly, and the iris close command opens it). But these commands do actually allow for remote iris control.

Which means that there is a reasonably standard support for LANC iris control already in the camera. So if there is a LANC remote that implements these iris control commands there is a decent chance that it will work.

9. Collapse Details
    You can use the EVA1 handgrip as a remote for the cx350, to adjust the iris. Not really practical, as the EVA grip doesn't offer zoom, but I tried it just to see if it would work, and it did.

10. Collapse Details
    I am too busy right now to follow up on this issue but IS this seen as an issue from Panasonic's point of view? I have basically shelved a professional camera I have purchased because of the lack of rear zoom controller options/clarity and am kind of wondering if this will ever be "fixed"? Clearly the small number of controllers listed do not work properly as quite a few of us have tried a VZ-Rock and noticed the same erratic behavior.

Right now I am a bit sorry that I purchased the camera.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast