Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    This seams like a ux180 version 2

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    I realize this is more of a 4K PX270 replacement, but one can't help but compare it to the UX180 which was only about $200 less when it came out in 2016.
    [...]
    Surprised to see the EVF is lower res than the UX180.
    [...]
    It doesn't seem to be able to record 4K DCI like the UX180 can.
    Now I'm weighing whether to return the UX180 I picked up at the end of December, and wait for this cam to release. This sounds like the cam I really was looking for, and checks more boxes for my work ... 422, 10 bit, plus the live streaming and NDI options for live events. I saw a mention in an article of allowing USB dongle for LTE uplink but don't see that in anything official from Panasonic.

Really need to know how it does in low-light compared to the UX180. Not sure whether to care about lack of DCI 4K for my personal workflow, everything I've delivered to date is FHD even when shooting higher.

The Panasonic spec sheets say the EVF is the same res on both, but the UX180 does have higher res on the LCD. On the other hand, with simultaneous SDI and HDMI out, adding an external SmallHD/Atomos/etc is easier while still being able to feed SDI to a switcher as I can with PX270.

Bit odd they decided to go to LANC rather than stay with the 2-plug config, meaning anyone who has remotes from PX or UX will need to buy new.

3. Collapse Details
    I did not catch the LANC part. I use separate zoom and iris rear controllers. Will have to research what is available for LANC. The zooms have a switch so they should be good.

I am a bit hesitant to get excited about the streaming capabilities until they a proven to work well. What little capability that was mentioned with the PX270 was a complete mystery to anybody I spoke to at Panasonic. Like it was all marketing and they did not get around to those features. Glad to see this model in the wild and look forward to evaluating it for my business.

4. Collapse Details
    I have always been interested in a 4k version of the 270, but not quite sure how to feel about this one. Until I need to deliver in 4k, I am still liking my 270. One thing for sure, this cam might cause Canon to rethink the pricing on the new 700 series handycam which in my view is REALLY expensive.

Resolution aside, does anyone notice any new features that would make me want to ditch my 270? Not so far as I can see on casual review. Could someone explain to me if the codecs in the new cam will offer any advantages over the I-Frame recorded to P2 in the 270.

A few other thought on the comments:

Who really needs log on a handycam?
    For anyone who didn't know, the 270 can accept both P2 and SD cards after the the firmware update.
    The 270 has the best EVF and flip-out resolution of any cam I know of (haven't used any of the pro shoulder mount cams). That was a big selling point for me. New cam has less.
    The dual output is nice, but who wants to frankenrig a handycam, that kind of defeats the point. Especially if I am compelled to do a monitor. I want to focus without extra rigging.
    The 270 lens servo is pretty good indeed.
    Curious that the new cam has 67mm filter threads instead of 72mm

In any event, after a quiet time, it's nice to see some new handycams coming to market.

Grant
    Last edited by ggrantly; 01-22-2019 at 05:26 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrantly View Post
    Who really needs log on a handycam?
    It depends on what you are shooting and what the lighting is like. Getting an additional 1-2 stops of dynamic range when shooting scenes with high contrast makes the LOG option worthwhile to me. ( though it looks like HLG might be a good enough substitute for LOG )

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    I wish these cameras had a 3.5mm audio input like some of my old cameras did in addition to dual XLR. Sometimes that is handy and I miss that. Anyone else?
    Pretty easy problem to solve with an adapter like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._3_5mm_to.html

- Greg

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Interesting camera. 10bit, 24.5mm.. really all I want from a 'handy cam'

The 705 and Sony 280 are not IMO handycam money.. this is.

Time to replace the EX1?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    as for 10bit and log/hlg .. yep I want gradeable footage not baked 709, just cos one is working with a handycam that doesnt mean the work should not be finished to ones usual standards.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by verzap View Post
    This seams like a ux180 version 2
    It's more like a "greatest hits" cam. All the best features of the DVX100, HVX200, HPX170, UX180 and PX270 all together, plus some very nice improvements and things working the way they should (like the wfm always working properly and not locking out all the other displays, and the EVF and viewfinder both working simultaneously, etc).

10. Collapse Details
    Dvx200 mk ii with gh5s sensor is still a good idea, panny XD. I hope they dont get too late to that party

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast