Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Collapse Details
    I do not use Slog2 - on A7III - only use it when I am using 10bit pro res with FS cameras. I do use HLG on A7III - seems to give me more latitude in grading than the other PP (excluding Slog) - but I am not any way an expert to give you a definitive answer. Best to use and test these profiles and use the one that is best for the specific situation. I can say on recent scene at dusk - I shot the scene a bit to dark - since I had to match it to other daytime scenes and I was able to brighten it up in grading using resolve.

Also is is always best to use a client calibrated monitor to insure what you are seeing is within the realm of broadcast standards.
    I think that is a good way to test out different profiles and see what works best for your specific requirements.

2. Collapse Details
    Actually found an ACES workflow for SLog2 that I like. I just picked up the IDT/LUTS from Colorizer and it works like a charm in Resolve. This is for SLog2/Sgamut3.Cine gamma and color space. HLG2 in 709 is okay in my opinion but not my first choice.

3. Collapse Details
    Not sure about using slog 2 out of A7III due to the fact that it is only 8bit 420 coming off the card - I could use it on odyssey 7Q+ - need to check specs and see if it is 422 in 4K. Might try it

4. Collapse Details
    Sony Alpha Rumors has a photo of what looks like a new A7S (III or IV or something). It looks to be, at least, twice as thick as a typical A7 series. No specs were mentioned but older rumors even had H265 8K as potential.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nothing View Post
    Still Sony color, which IMHO looks like crap when shooting people I've never been able to hand off Sony footage to a colorist and have it turn out looking decent, I have always had to massage it myself to get skin looking not-dead. These issues don't exist with Canon or Arri footage - they just work right.
    Superstition.

6. Collapse Details
    My very first attempt at grading Sony a7 III HLG HDR footage using the Asus ProArt PA32UCX monitor.

https://youtu.be/abjKe37KPpY
    Last edited by jonpais; 12-21-2019 at 10:14 AM. Reason: previous video too yellow

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456