Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What are the chances Sony gives the A7III a more robust codec or at least 8 bit 422 via firmware update?

2. Collapse Details
    For the average punter what you see in these videos with regards to 8-bit 420 vs 8-bit 422, even wrapped in a 10-bit padded ProRes file I've found to be pretty accurate. What I find has more effect on the quality of the video output are a number of things. Whether or not you are working in 32-bit floating point or straight 8-bit on the timeline is one. Even on a 32-bit (ie10-bit) timeline you can impact the quality of an image with an 8-bit processing plugin or even a poorly written 32-bi plugin. Even on a 10-bit timeline you can get poor quality output banding etc if your whole graphics path is processing in 8-bit. If you process everything in 32-bit floating point and output via a true 10-bit SDI card like on of the Blackmagic cards to an SDI grading monitor you will find you can push the old 420 8-bit signal pretty close to how far you can push a 422 8-bit signal. These two videos give one a rough idea. There are a couple of errors in both videos but overall I find the end conclusions are fairly accurate.

Chris Young

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E92jDQpou4Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4586b8iR2Y

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Del Real View Post
    What are the chances Sony gives the A7III a more robust codec or at least 8 bit 422 via firmware update?
    Probably zero chance, but you can always get 8 bit 422 by recording externally.

4. Collapse Details
    $200 price drop after about a year and a half out in the wild.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nothing View Post
    Still Sony color, which IMHO looks like crap when shooting people I've never been able to hand off Sony footage to a colorist and have it turn out looking decent, I have always had to massage it myself to get skin looking not-dead. These issues don't exist with Canon or Arri footage - they just work right.
    maybe at these level of cameras but cameras like the F900, F23, F35, F65, etc the skin tones are beautiful. but in all fairness, I think the best skin tones I've seen myself were with the old Varicams... Alexa like.
    Cameras
    Sony HDW-F900R Cinealta Cinema ENG Camera
    Sony HVR-Z1u HDV Camera

LENSES
    CANON HJ21x7.5 T2.1 HD-EC CINE ZOOM LENS (Keslow Modified)
    Zeiss Digizoom 6-24mm T1.9 Cinema Lens

Recorders
    AJA Kona 3 PCIe 4:4:4 Dual Link Card W/ Breakout Box
    Panasonic AJ-HD1400 DVCPRO HD VTR

Accessories
    SmallHD Focus SDI OLED Monitor
    Astro DM-3000 HD-SDI Monitor
    Astro DM-3005 HD-SDI Monitor
    Benro Fluid Head Tripod
    Chrosziel MB 450-01 & CLWAH-F4,5 Matte Box

6. Collapse Details
    It looks like Amazon and Sony are giving away a bunch of stuff with A7III, taking down the body only price into the $1,500-$1,550 neighborhood. Which makes one wonder if there's a bustle in the hedgerow and A7IV is on the horizon.

7. Collapse Details
    And so, according to the Sony Alpha Rumors, it is (with the horizon being the spring of 2020).

There doesn't seem to be much difference from A7III but, much like S1H that uses the same sensor, the camera will now be able to deliver a 6K/5K image, although probably in 8-bit again. The difference is likely to be reflected in the price as well.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    It looks like Amazon and Sony are giving away a bunch of stuff with A7III, taking down the body only price into the $1,500-$1,550 neighborhood. Which makes one wonder if there's a bustle in the hedgerow and A7IV is on the horizon.
    i'm still seeing $1998 on amazon!

do yu have a link for $1500?

tia

rob
    smalltalk productions/nyc
    the story is never black & white
    it takes Smalltalk to reveal the color

smalltalk.productions

9. Collapse Details

10. Collapse Details
    Anybody having any real success with SLog2 or HLG on the A7III? I've started using Slog2 with Pro color space with decent results but I feel like I'm still not getting the most out of this camera.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast