Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    What are the chances Sony gives the A7III a more robust codec or at least 8 bit 422 via firmware update?

2. Collapse Details
    For the average punter what you see in these videos with regards to 8-bit 420 vs 8-bit 422, even wrapped in a 10-bit padded ProRes file I've found to be pretty accurate. What I find has more effect on the quality of the video output are a number of things. Whether or not you are working in 32-bit floating point or straight 8-bit on the timeline is one. Even on a 32-bit (ie10-bit) timeline you can impact the quality of an image with an 8-bit processing plugin or even a poorly written 32-bi plugin. Even on a 10-bit timeline you can get poor quality output banding etc if your whole graphics path is processing in 8-bit. If you process everything in 32-bit floating point and output via a true 10-bit SDI card like on of the Blackmagic cards to an SDI grading monitor you will find you can push the old 420 8-bit signal pretty close to how far you can push a 422 8-bit signal. These two videos give one a rough idea. There are a couple of errors in both videos but overall I find the end conclusions are fairly accurate.

Chris Young

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E92jDQpou4Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4586b8iR2Y

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Del Real View Post
    What are the chances Sony gives the A7III a more robust codec or at least 8 bit 422 via firmware update?
    Probably zero chance, but you can always get 8 bit 422 by recording externally.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345