1. Collapse Details
    HMD viewfinder for framing + focus
    Anyone tried something like this for framing/focus?

Currently moving to smaller/lighter gear and something like this could be really useful for a smaller camera + one-handed gimbal = lots of freedom of movement and camera angle / movement possibilities (including walking forward with camera facing backwards).

For manual lenses this could possibly provide sufficient detail for critical 4K focus.

More info: https://www.brother-usa.com/business/hmd/camera

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Garret Brown said that type of set-up made him queasy/sick when he was experimenting with the design of the Steadicam in the early days. That said, I've always wanted to try it and see for myself.

maxresdefault.jpg

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    From VR experience, the motion-sickness can go away after a while: I'd expect the same for this kind of system. The gimbal operator said it was a game-changer- curious to hear more reviews.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs View Post
    From VR experience, the motion-sickness can go away after a while: I'd expect the same for this kind of system. The gimbal operator said it was a game-changer- curious to hear more reviews.
    Yeah... I think there are a lot of factors that play into it, including the person themself. Some people are much more sensitive to things like that and even certain kinds of motion. I’ve shot in moving vehicles at highway and racetrack speeds and on the water countless times, but something about helicopters always got me, unless I took Dramamine. Just riding in one was always fine, but about ten minutes in when shooting and life usually started to suck.

I think in the case of using a HMD, you could probably train yourself to get used to it(if you had issues), plus you’re probably not going to be doing it for extended periods of time without a break.

I’d like to see a system with a little more robust headset, though. Maybe a full headband and the VF flips down over the eye. That way you’re working with gravity to help keep it in place. I wonder if anyone rents them? $1700(SDI version) is a little steep to try something out and not like it.

5. Collapse Details
    I think there will be product/tech spill from up-coming high-res AR/MR displays to further bring up quality (e.g. 8K displays per eye (Apple)) as well as reduced cost through high production volume.

HMD for focus + gimbal + something like this: https://www.cinema5d.com/silencer-ai...-follow-focus/ could be a great way to perform manual focus in 4K(+) for complex motion & Run&Gun shots