Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    As far as RGB fixtures I would hold on purchase a while. If RGB isn't important there are many great alternatives but as for RGB I'm still waiting what will turn up this year.

2. Collapse Details
    I think the Aputure Light Storm LS C120D II LED could be a great choice for you. It’s more compact than the 300D. For your primary use cases, receptions and interviews, I think it would work pretty well. The 120D MK II has a lot less parts than the original (or 300D for that matter). It’s also reasonable to run on batteries vs the 300D. There’s a nice little remote to turn it on and off. Shoot it though a diffuser and you’ve got a nice interview key. If you need tungsten color (who uses that anymore?) throw a gel in front - you’re not fighting daylight at that point so the light loss isn’t as critical. Just my .02
    Nate Haustein

PXW-FS5 / iMac i7 / FCPX

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I really like the options to control the light via an app by the first two options. I think that's where the future of lighting is headed. More control...

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
    If you need tungsten color (who uses that anymore?) throw a gel in front - you’re not fighting daylight at that point so the light loss isn’t as critical. Just my .02
    Tungsten is a type of source, not a color. ; )

Not everything needs to be or should be lit 5600K. A lot of what I do is in the 4300K-4700K neighborhood and I still do a lot at 3200K, as well. One of the strongest selling points of LED's is that so many are bi-color(or better) so that you can quickly and easily work with the ambient/existing light without gels or the lighting looking un-natural/like a mistake. Only a few of my LED fixtures are fixed 5600K/Daylight. The rest are either bi-color or RGBW variants.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by david1pittman View Post
    I really like the options to control the light via an app by the first two options. I think that's where the future of lighting is headed. More control...
    Several fixtures out there with great control apps(Hive C series and LP Gemini's, for example), but I wouldn't count on it as my sole means of control, because the apps can be finicky and flakey, still. I've had connection issues with both that I mentioned. And unless the fixture is in a position that makes it hard/impossible to access quickly, sometimes it's just quicker to walk over and spin the dial.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12