Thread: SMM moco

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    Here we see some moves on the new software, the items positions are programmed (using "target") in and then the tracking 'just happens' - Im not concerned about focus at this point.

https://vimeo.com/396197273
    Last edited by morgan_moore; 03-21-2020 at 01:18 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    GUI something like this with Xblack Yred Zdotted red

app.JPG

3. Collapse Details
    Wow! Looking good Sam. I have no expertise when it comes to the software side so you are miles ahead of what i do. I'm more on the mechanical side. Are you building to maybe sell or just for your own use? I have a few photos of rigs i built over the years including my little crane, but all use either DragonFrame or Mantis. Is what you are building realtime or more for Stopmotion? Or for both?
    When i got into this it was back when i heard DF had a motion control interface included and then i found that they gave you all the scripts for the Arduino! Nice. Then i found Mantis and that is pretty much what i use. It can run on its own as a stopmotion software or it can interface with DF in various ways.
    Good luck with your project and if you need any advice on mechanics maybe i can help.
    Cheers.

4. Collapse Details
    Hi guys, Hey Doug, so glad to hear from you, I'll send you a a private e-mail with some details of the latest-greatest I've been working on for your feedback. Glad the Facebook site is back! Doug, your work is inspirational, and I've also gotten lots of ideas from the Kazakhstan group with their Ankl system. Those guys are the master of "next level" DIY...

https://vimeo.com/anklmoco

Sam, fantastic and very cool! That's a lot of effort on the software side for sure.

I've been finishing a new pan/tilt/roll/focus head designed for attaching over or under slung on a moco crane... I've been spending more time on the focus side of the work...

It's currently bolted to my worktable, so I can only shoot what's around the room. I just did a few focus tests I can share, all with a 50mm Nikkor AI-S at f 1.8 on an APS-C sized sensor...

Here it is hitting 11 focus marks over the shot...

http://files.datausa.com/imageshoppe...us_pull_03.mp4

And here is a similar shot, but with multiple passes to allow dissolves...

http://files.datausa.com/imageshoppe...US_TEST_01.mp4

I'm trying to make the most of our universally crappy situation and do some things that I enjoy. Top of that list is DIY moco!
    Jim Arthurs

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MDKfilms View Post
    Are you building to maybe sell or just for your own use?

Is what you are building realtime or more for Stopmotion? .
    I dont think it is robust enough to sell - even though it cost $000s and took a couple of years its very much v1 and I dont understand vibration and backlash enough for this to be saleable. Also the core gearbox was quite a thing on the lathe

Its a commercial venture though as I will shoot iwth it for money.

Its time, not realtime, I can use various motor configurations from an ungeared neema23 (v fast) to a 100:1 neema 17 (v v slow)

So that can be from Phantom through to timelapse (with or without stops) but stop motion would imply a stop of n as you move the puppet, which I cant do with complex moves.

6. Collapse Details
    ps where is the FB page and pics?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    ps where is the FB page and pics?
    Here you go Sam...

https://www.facebook.com/motioncontrolcamerasystems/

Again, fantastic job!

Jim A.
    Jim Arthurs

8. Collapse Details
    Sorry guys, I have to remember to come over here to check on things. Anyway, yeah, the old basement studio/workshop. How i miss that. Even though it was very cold in the winter and probably not to healthy due to lots of dust. Im going to re-upload the vintage motion control pics sometime in the next few days. Right now i am doing a Busking FB page to entertain friends and family. Just me and my geetar. Hope everybody out there is staying healthy and sane!

Cheers guys.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345